SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #1
Patriots
Patriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura about

Default Anybody have a good guide for replacing the rear hub assembly on a 2001 SL2?

So I need to replace the hub assembly on my 01 SL2 for inspection

It's the rear passenger side

It seems pretty straight forward and I've checked a few other posts but figured I'd ask and see if anybody who's replaced one before on here has some tips and or tricks

Non abs version is what I believe is equipped on mine.

I already have the hub assembly.

The torque specs would be wonderful for both the assembly and axel nut

Anyways thanks in advance for taking the time to check my post out.
Patriots is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Anybody have a good guide for replacing the rear hub assembly on a 2001 SL2?

Here's a hub change video of a 99 with drum brakes.
I'm finding 63 ft. lbs. (85 Nm) to be the correct bolt torque.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeRPCBAqSrk
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Anybody have a good guide for replacing the rear hub assembly on a 2001 SL2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots View Post
So I need to replace the hub assembly on my 01 SL2 for inspection
What do you mean "for inspection"? State inspection?

I removed both mine, and replaced one, on my 2000 SL2 with drums. The hardest part was removing them. They were rusted in place pretty well. I ended up denting up my brake backing plates with a large chisel and a hammer. One of them didn't come out until I finally whaled on the back of it, but a light tap revealed the dust cap was rusted through any way, so that one got replaced.

I hit both knuckles with a wire wheel on an angle grinder and coated the mating surfaces with anti-seize.

The original bolts came out fairly easily..... be careful with them, as they're not standard. They have small heads for the thread size, so a hardware store replacement likely won't work. I put anti-seize on these going back in.

The last step was spraying everything with Fluid Film and Blaster Corrosion Stop to help keep rust sway..... my new drums still haven't rusted, although, I'm sure they will this winter.
2000 SL2 Automatic 200,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #4
Patriots
Patriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura aboutPatriots has a spectacular aura about

Yes, for state inspection.

I plan on trying to blast all the bolts off with an impact gun and impact sockets after hitting then with PB blaster.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

I did the Right Rear on my car a little over 2 years ago, you can have a look through my thread on it. I don't get into very fine detail, but I have some pictures that might help.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234862
01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
Patriots

One of the four bolts snapped off in the knuckle

Top right one

What would be the best way to extract it?

Bought an easy out and it doesn't work at all
Old 09-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Post a picture of what you have there. Extracting broken screws is kind of an "art". Each case needs to be considered uniquely.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
Patriots

http://imgur.com/a/dSlSxru
Old 09-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I would like to see it from a bit further back, more of an over-all view showing most of the knuckle and what else is in the way. However, it looks like you have not drilled a hole through the screw yet. How did you try an extractor without a hole in the screw?

PS: Don't throw away the old hub/bearing yet! You may need that to make a drill-jig.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #10
Patriots

Tried one of those easy outs

Didn't work at all

http://imgur.com/a/ymqgnmI
Old 09-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
billr
Master Member

Those pictures are great, but what a lot of rust! Our politics in Calif. may suck, but the weather sure is nice...

No picture of the extractor, but I'm guessing it is one of those combined units, with a short LH drill tip on the end of and equally short extractor. To save this knuckle you are probably going to have to drill out most of the screw and maybe even clean up the threads with a tap. Or, drill out the threads and heli-coil. Or, maybe drill a clearance hole and use a nut on the far-side. Any good junkyards nearby? Replacing the knuckle may be more practical.

If you do try to drill out the screw, put the old hub back on with the other three screws and start with a drill that is the same size, or slightly larger than, the existing clearance hole in the hub. Just drill in a short way, to get a center point as close as possible to the screw's threads. Leave the hub there as you drill smaller holes all the way through, it will help you eye-ball keeping the drill perpendicular to the hole. Better yet, try to find a small pipe bushing or piece of tube that will fit tightly in the hub hole and be tight enough on the ID to guide the bit as you drill through.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #12
Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Those pictures are great, but what a lot of rust! Our politics in Calif. may suck, but the weather sure is nice...

No picture of the extractor, but I'm guessing it is one of those combined units, with a short LH drill tip on the end of and equally short extractor. To save this knuckle you are probably going to have to drill out most of the screw and maybe even clean up the threads with a tap. Or, drill out the threads and heli-coil. Or, maybe drill a clearance hole and use a nut on the far-side. Any good junkyards nearby? Replacing the knuckle may be more practical.

If you do try to drill out the screw, put the old hub back on with the other three screws and start with a drill that is the same size, or slightly larger than, the existing clearance hole in the hub. Just drill in a short way, to get a center point as close as possible to the screw's threads. Leave the hub there as you drill smaller holes all the way through, it will help you eye-ball keeping the drill perpendicular to the hole. Better yet, try to find a small pipe bushing or piece of tube that will fit tightly in the hub hole and be tight enough on the ID to guide the bit as you drill through.

Yeah it's got a ton of rust on it

I think it's to the point where it's almost not safe anymore.

I'd like to save this knuckle if possible but I might just grab one from a junk yard we have quite a few pick n pulls near me

How do you get the knuckle off? those two large nuts?

Does the strut need to come off?

Also what years of knuckles will work with a 2001?

Last edited by Patriots; 09-15-2020 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #13
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I think that might be even crustier then mine.

Still, I'd try drilling that bolt out with progressively larger drill bits after center punching it.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 09-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #14
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

Quote:
Yeah it's got a ton of rust on it

I think it's to the point where it's almost not safe anymore.

I'd like to save this knuckle if possible but I might just grab one from a junk yard we have quite a few pick n pulls near me

How do you get the knuckle off? those two large nuts?

Does the strut need to come off?

Also what years of knuckles will work with a 2001?
For sure any 3rd gen s-series 2000-2002 should work
Here's a nice pic from rockauto for a quick reference.
01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #15
Patriots

The only ones available in my area are 1999s and 98s

They don't seem to be too common around here
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #16
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The only difference in the knuckles is '91-'97's have the option of rear disc while '98-'02 do not. The one in 00_sl1's picture has the eyes for mounting the rear disc caliper and can't be from a '98+ (though they're easy to swap on and don't impact the drum brake system).

I totally forgot Saturn made replacing rear wheel bearings impossible. A smart company would have had the bolts thread into the *removable* bearing flange rather than the *stuck-on-the-car* knuckle.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The only difference in the knuckles is '91-'97's have the option of rear disc while '98-'02 do not. The one in 00_sl1's picture has the eyes for mounting the rear disc caliper and can't be from a '98+ (though they're easy to swap on and don't impact the drum brake system).

I totally forgot Saturn made replacing rear wheel bearings impossible. A smart company would have had the bolts thread into the *removable* bearing flange rather than the *stuck-on-the-car* knuckle.
I forgot how much I love this website

Thanks dude that's a huge help
Old 09-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #18
454cid
Advanced Member

I think the rear knuckles are all the same...... my 2000 has the ears and bolt holes for discs. People have made the swap to discs before. I considered doing it, but it was more expensive than just rebuilding the drums. If I would have realized how nasty my backing plates were, I probably would have gone to discs, Though.

Oh.... one other thing that stopped me from going to discs..... I was a bit worried about the thread condition in the knuckles.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 09-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
Patriots

Got the bolt out and saved the threads

Thanks for all the info

Gonna put this back together tomorrow

Boy was that FUN
Old 09-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #20
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Got the bolt out and saved the threads

Thanks for all the info

Gonna put this back together tomorrow

Boy was that FUN
Fun is why we are here. Good job!
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote