SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
Chronicwheeler
Chronicwheeler is a jewel in the roughChronicwheeler is a jewel in the roughChronicwheeler is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: 2003 L300 v6 bucking when trying to shift

Ok I will try some of that stuff. Any suggestions on where to start?
Chronicwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #22
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have a module corrupting the Serial Bus... all kinds of crazy will occur. The Serial Bus is supposed to be bursts of communication, but if one module is sending junk and not adhering to the communication protocols... all communication can break down and unpredictable performance will result.

Also, I would verify the ECM is properly grounded to it's mount and verify the top connectors are free of contamination. You could try jiggling the key to see if the switch is bad. One YT video I saw had the anti-lock brake module was sending junk data to the serial bus which caused performance problems.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #23
Chronicwheeler
Chronicwheeler is a jewel in the roughChronicwheeler is a jewel in the roughChronicwheeler is a jewel in the rough

Looked over the car again found I did not tighten down the ecu all the way tightened that. Cleaned a bunch of fuses checked over all the plugs again. Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes. Drives completely fine now. No issues.
And the wrench light I was looking at was the oil change light lol!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #24
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for being persistent and solving your problem. Floating grounds can cause many problems. I dislike chasing network faults it can be so time consuming.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:55 AM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

One previous member some years ago posted the same outcome. His descriptions were zero startup problems. Engine cranks but wouldn't fire up. Several replies revealed leaving the ecm loosely mounted on the intake manifold with one fastener. An oversight with suggestions to replace the missing bolts resulted in an immediate startup. The ecm wasn't bolted properly while chasing his tail.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #26
Chronicwheeler

Iím glad it was a easy fix. I enjoy the car it drives nice. Hopefully enjoy it for awhile!
Old 08-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #27
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was the timing belt/water pump/fuel filter replaced (100k mile interval)?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #28
Chronicwheeler

Thatís next I have the GM tool kit and the timing belt/ water belt kit also. Thatís in a few weekends.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:42 PM   #29
Rj 2000 LS2
Advanced Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really niceRj 2000 LS2 is just really nice

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Definitely don't try changing the timing belt without the kit. I've got a post of changing my timing belt after the belt tensioner failed. There are some very misleading videos on YT about changing the timing belt. Stay the hell away from Scott Gerz - He sucks! One another channel's video was spot on, but I can't find it again. It was of the same engine as Saturn, but in caddy.

The man showed how to lock the cams and the crank shaft to remove the belt. But, in his method he did never because he had more work to do i.e. cam seals etc... so all cams were rotated out of sync. With no cam tools installed, he verified the crank was at TDC, placed the proper mark on the crank pulley (and locked it in place with a wedge, and proceeded to thread the belt counter clockwise around the pulleys to the first cam pulley, turned it back to the timing mark and firmly seated the belt and used clamps to hold it, continued to the next cam sprocket and did the same etc... There is a more to it, but that's the idea.

I had to do this because all my cams spun to rest when I loosened the tensioner too much. So I had to use that method.

A couple of tips...

1) If there is oil or other contaminates (oil, coolant) on the crank sprocket.. the belt can slip over the teeth. Make sure to clean the sprocket thoroughly.

2) The belt will be labeled with two different colors for the crank sprocket... make sure you are using the correct color for the 3.0 L. I can't remember which that is at this point.

3) The timing marks on the new belt are only valid when you initially install the belt. The marks are used initially to approximate the belt location. You will need to spin the engine by hand several times to properly time and remove tension in the belt as you adjust the idlers after each spin. As you spin the engine 360 degrees, verify and time each cam sprocket (again in the counterclockwise direction) to the exact mark using the idler adjustments etc... After the first 360 degree turn of the engine... the belt marks will be off... just ignore the belt marks and only use the timing marks on the sprockets and plastic timing cover marks. Timing belts are designed to walk to prevent the same tooth from landing on the same sprocket tooth by design. By the time you are done "timing" all cams... the belt marks will be off by almost a dozen teeth. So ignore the marks on the timing belt after the initial positioning. Many people make this mistake and fuk up the engine by doing so.

3) Don't under any circumstances loosen the belt tensioner without all the cam locks installed. I found out the hard way! It is amazing to me how 15lbs of force hold the belt in place, but it works.

4) When tensioning the belt tensioner for wear... make sure to set it beyond the metal mark by a few extra degrees.

The over the counter manuals are junk for changing the timing belt. Watch a bunch of YT university before you begin the repair.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #30
Chronicwheeler

The tool came with some decent instructions and a few books I have and internet im assured Iíll get it. I have done timing belts/chains before on 4cyls and straight 6s. Seems like it will be a little different!
Old 09-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #31
BrandonKastning
BrandonKastning will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Idea Re: 2003 L300 v6 bucking when trying to shift

Chronicwheeler,

Does the "bucking" equiv to hard shifting? I have had my 2001 Saturn L300 for 3+ years now. When it was my daily driver; every once in a while (almost always on hot days, or rush hour traffic with lots of low gear driving with stop and go) -- I would encounter what I would describe as "bucking" also if that means "hard shifting" with a wrench light.

I took my 2001 Saturn L300 to a Transmission Shop and I was given a Technical Information Bulletin from Saturn / GM.

The document outlines the following:

Bulletin NO: 02-T-84
Issue Date: November, 2002
Category Type: Transaxle-18
Category: Automatic
Corporation No: 02-07-30-049

Subject: Service Wrench Lamp Illuminated with DTC P1811 "Maximum Adapt and Long Shifts" (Inspect Transaxle and Install New TCM Calibration 24222073).

Models Affected: 2000 Saturn L-Series vehicles equipped with V6 (L81) engine and automatic transaxle (MN5)

Condition: "Service Wrench lamp illuminated with DTC P1811 "Maximum Adapt and Long Shifts." Vehicle will also have full line pressure shifts when DTC P1811 is set.

Cause: "DTC P1811 will set if any adapt cell is at a maximum and any shift time reaches .65 seconds. In the original 2000 model year TCM calibration, cruise shifts were commanded to have a shift time of zero (0) seconds so the adaptives would max out for shifts made in cruise. If any other shift cell shows a long shift time, the DTC will set.

Correction: Check the pressure control solenoid function with the line pressure test below. If the pressure (PC) solenoid passes, install TCM calibration 24222073. Otherwise, replace PC solenoid and install TCM calibration.

This was on 11/13/2018 in Washington State, USA!

I do not know if this bulletin also applies to 2000+ and why when my vehicle is a 2001 I was diagnosed with this one. However, with this said.

I purchased a part (which I wasn't even able to figure out a) where to install it and b) how to; let alone have the knowledge or tools I have acquired since becoming an avid member on saturnfans.com since my car went 100% boom! early this year with lots of progress thanks to the dedicated DIY team here!)

The part I believe was called an A/T Solenoid ... I just tried to locate the part; however I couldn't match the pictures up to what's being listed under partsgeek.com.

The Chilton guide (before I purchased a Factory Service Manual on ebay for my 2001 Saturn L300 3.0L V6 / GM L81 / 54į Engine), my understanding was it wanted me to drill under the shifter area. (I still don't own a working drill at this time).

Bottom line,

My quick fix remedy was doing the following when it started acting in those transmission low gear buckings if we are talking about the same symptoms. Feels like the car jerks heavily and continues until the engine is turned off for a short period of time and then starts again. I would then immediately take it to O'reilly's (once I got it to stop jerking after an engine stop / park for 10-15 minutes) and borrow their OBDII scanner to clear all the codes.

I wouldn't see this problem replicate for another 30 days or so (this was a daily driver for 7-12 months).

Not sure if this information helps or not. Just thought I would share my experience!

OH! One last thing. I am currently speaking with ACDelco in regards to re-programming my ECU with new calibrations. I do not know if the TCM is able to interface through a back link to the ECU or if the TCM requires a separate OBDII type of connector at some sort of port I do not know the location of.

ACDelco tells me the following regarding ECU reprogramming:

"Good afternoon Brandon,

I have responded to your questions provided in your last email below. Please call in to ACDELCO or respond to this email if you have any additional questions.

1. Purchasing a $40 subscription will allow you to program your vehicle for 2 years OR when the number of programming events that are successful matches the number of modules in the vehicle (for example, if you have 6 modules, once you program ANY module, does not have to be the same module, 6 times successfully, you will need to purchase another slot).

2. The calibrations that you will have access to are the most updated versions. We are unable to backdate or return to stock calibrations. So, if the vehicle was last programmed in 2004, the calibrations available to you will be newer than that year. If you want to see what calibrations will be going into the vehicle and what each addresses, we offer a free SPS Info section on our TIS2WEB site. All you would need to do is enter your VIN and follow the prompts.

3. The exact file size, how long each programming event will take, how good of a connection, can all vary. It depends on the speed and strength of your network. I've seen events take less than 10 seconds and longer than an hour. It all just depends on the network your PC is connected to. I do highly recommend, when programming, to have your programming tool HARDWIRED via USB to the PC and try to avoid a wireless connection. As you seem to be aware, wireless connections can drop in and out and cause programming issues.

4. In terms of a module becoming 'bricked', again, it depends on a number of factors.

It will be up to you to decide to purchase the subscription. Also, we provide no information on DTC's or question about the performance of the vehicle, even if you buy a subscription. You can utilize GM's Service Information, available with a SEPARATE subscription, to look up specific DTCs or vehicle issues.

Please either call in to ACDELCO or respond to this email if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you
ACDelco Aftermarket"

I responded with a couple new questions. One being, does the TCM count as one of the 6 modules. I haven't received a new response back yet.

---

My goal with ACDelco is to upgrade/flash my ECU + TCM w/ latest (ALL TSB Fixes for my Year / Model) -- which I believe is the 2005 Firmware w/ each L300's specific year's configuration(s) -- (considering all the minor changes between them).

If the TCM requires a separate computer interface and process to upgrade firmware and patch the software TSB / TIB calibration(s); then I need to know where to find this information so that I can flash update my TCM module and fix this "Maximum Adapt and Long Shifts" software TCM calibration bug.

Best Regards on your Fix and Restoration! May your Car Be Healed!

Brandon Kastning
ďFor God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.Ē - John 3:16 (KJV)

Last edited by BrandonKastning; 09-30-2020 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling
BrandonKastning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #32
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was reading and if codes was posted or if you got error codes it would've been good if those were posted so others can see what they are.

Last edited by Russet; 09-30-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: revise
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote