SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
Ragnarok
Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Grinding sound when decelerating (not breaks) & ABS light - 05 Saturn VUE

So I recently purchased an automatic 2005 Saturn VUE V6 AWD Sport Base, with only 84k miles on it. New brakes, pads, timing belt...
The first noticeable thing is the ABS light is on and yes it stays on solid every day, never goes off.
When Im driving my acceleration is fine, the RPMs sometimes get to 4k on hills (which im not sure if thats normal) but the second I lift my foot off of the gas pedal, NOT even touching the breaks (the manual breaks work fine, no grinding sound while breaking), I hear a grinding sound that sounds like an metal sheet being dragged across pavement for a couple seconds. (NOTE-You can actually feel the grinding through the car pedals, similar to when any other car drives on ice and you pump the breaks and can feel the grinding of ice and breaks) and after the grinding noise, my RPMs drop until I put my foot back on the gas pedal and begin accelerating again and then the grinding noise is gone until I repeat the process.
The car is terrible on slick roads, I have almost gone off the road a couple times, obviously due to the ABS system not functioning.
I took it to two mechanics, one said he thinks the transmission is struggling, but he didnt know why the ABS light was on.
and the other mechanic said it wasn't the transmission, it was bad wheel bearings that needed to be replaced, which should also fix the ABS light.
What do you guys know?
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Grinding sound when decelerating (not breaks) & ABS light - 05 Saturn VUE

A few things are worrisome ... sport model (Red Line)". Timing belt changed before normal service 100,000 time period?

Regarding grinding noise:

(a) Did either mechanic test engine and transmission mounts?
(b) I'd check AWD prop-shaft center support bearing ... if OK would drop prop-shaft and drive to see if noise was still there (won't hurt a thing to operate without shaft).

The prop-shaft connects the front transfer case and rear drive module which also require periodic servicing.

A code should be stored if ABS light is on - you'll need a shop with a better code reader - or GM dealer - to capture the code.

Problem is typically a wheel speed sensor ... did mechanic suggest all four hubs (bearings) should be changed?
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Ragnarok
Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Grinding sound when decelerating (not breaks) & ABS light - 05 Saturn VUE

Oh sorry, not Redline, its just the base. The dealership said Sport Base so I guess I was confused. But its just the base. The mechanic who said it was the transmission, said that from a test drive and eyeballing it from under the lift. The second mechanic didn't tell me what they checked.

Here are some noteworthy records on carfax (pay attention to years):
07/08/2012: battery and spark plugs replaced @57k miles
04/23/2015: "ABS system checked"
04/29/2015: "Brake pads replaced, brakes checked, front brake rotor(s) replaced" @75k miles
09/10/2015: "Engine/powertrain computer/module checked" @77k miles, and then...
According to a sticker on the new timing belt area, the belt was changed in 2015 at 77,876 miles. (no records on carfax)

Ill ask what they all checked and ask about the AWD prop shaft too.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote