SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
LTond56
LTond56 is on a distinguished road

Default Oil leak from head gasket

I know this has been discussed before but I've never read any posts that exactly discuss where and how the leak occurs.

2002 SOHC w/89k - leaked since around 60k but has not gotten any worse. It's going through about 1 qt /1000 miles and most of it is running down the back of the block. A 10 minute warm-up on cold mornings will leave a spot nearly the diameter of a beer can. Pretty much like it's owner! My son. The bright side .... subframe looks brand new!

Leaking between the head and block on the backside near #1 cylinder. Hard but you can see it when looking down between the intake runners. No oil leaks anywhere else. Even the valve cover and it's gasket are dry as a bone.

Has anyone removed the head to replace the gasket and seen exactly where and why it leaks? I would love to see pics too.

Thanks
LTond56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Oil leak from head gasket

There is an oil passage back in that area that feeds oil to the cylinder head. About all you can do is get a new head gasket and new head bolts and dig in. In either 1999 or 2000 model year the cylinder head was redesigned a little bit for the air pump system and I believe they made the head narrower, not sure completely on that but I've never seen any of the pre-99/2000 heads leak there.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The earlier ones leak also. This one of several reasons the gasket torque procedure was revised in the middle of the 98 model year. Be sure to use a FelPro or Victor gasket, new head bolts and follow this procedure.

Also check the head and block for flat while it is apart.

DOHC head torquing procedure

Initial dry bolt torque in sequence to 48ft-lb following the torquing pattern in stages to 20ft-lb, 30ft-lb, and final 48ft-lb. This establishes the proper clamp load on the gasket.

This is followed by removal in about 1/4 turn in sequence until loose.

Bolts washers, threads and bolt heads are oiled with clean engine oil and reinstalled finger tight.

Torqued in sequence to 22 ft-lb then 37ft-lb and then additional 90 degree turn.

The 90 degrees is important so do not guess at the 90 degrees. You can eyeball it and use a 1/2 drive breaker bar and make the 90 degree turn in a single smooth motion.

If this is not followed the new gasket will end up leaking.

Torquing sequence
intake side
8-4-1-5-9
7-3-2-6-10
exhaust side

SOHC head torquing procedure

Initial dry bolt torque in sequence to 48ft-lb following the torquing pattern in stages to 20ft-lb, 30ft-lb, and final 48ft-lb. This establishes the proper clamp load on the gasket.

This is followed by removal in about 1/4 turn in sequence until loose.

Bolts washers, threads and bolt heads are oiled with clean engine oil and reinstalled finger tight.

Torqued in sequence to 22 ft-lb then 33ft-lb and then additional 90 degree turn.

The 90 degrees is important so do not guess at the 90 degrees. You can eyeball it and use a 1/2 drive breaker bar and make the 90 degree turn in a single smooth motion.

If this is not followed the new gasket will end up leaking.

Torquing sequence
intake side
8-4-1-5-9
7-3-2-6-10
exhaust side
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
LTond56
LTond56 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info.

I have the torque procedure copied and saved.

Should I assume an actual piece of the gasket has blown out?
Is the oil passage a return line or a pressurized feed line?
I hope it's the former.
LTond56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is the full pressure feed to the lifters. It is critical that both the head and block are flat and true in that corner or it leaks. The gasket is a kevlar material and the binder is attacked by the coolant. There is not much room between that oil gallery and the coolant passages. Any gasket settling and you have a leak. What was added to the torque procedure was the dry bolt torquing to 48 ft-lb so you actually have a good clamp.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote