SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 12-29-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
helios
helios is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Transmission Shift Flaring - ODB2 Code P0747 - 2005 Saturn Vue v6 FWD

Hello! Not sure if any has any advice on this one.

Vehicle: 2005 Saturn Vue 3.5l v6 FWD - 108k miles 174k kilometers

Engine and Transmission: GM L66 (Honda J35S) Engine / Honda H5 MDRA 5-speed Transmission

Symptoms:
Shift flaring from 2nd to 3rd gear when the engine is at normal temperatures. Symptoms do not occur when the engine is cold. Eventually, the transmission will not go into or past 3rd gear. Putting it in reverse causes a loud bang. Also noticed a whirring sound when the engine is at normal temperatures. The symptoms started suddenly.

1st and 2nd gears seem to be fine. Everything seems fine when the engine is cold and issues develop consistently and quickly after about 4 miles of driving. Also creating a nasty burnt transmission smell.

I have a simple scanner tool that is showing one code: P0747 (Pressure Control Solenoid Stuck On).

Shift flaring feels like the car was put in neutral between gears; the rpm increase quickly without an increase in speed.

1st Troubleshooting step:
  • Transmission fluid drain and fill. The magnetic plug had a lot of metal shavings and powdery clutch material (attached is a pic). Fluid came out looking black like used motor oil.
    Road-tested vehicle and it drove the same as before.

2nd Troubleshooting steps (looking for solenoid problems):
  1. Removed the TCC Pressure Control Solenoid. Filter tubes look clear. Solenoid measured 6 ohms at 65f (18c) tested by connecting to the battery and it seems to perform fine. (The PCS was on top of the transmission and fairly easy to access. I only had to remove the plastic cold air intake pipe)
  2. Removed the Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve. Tests and filters on this were identical to the pressure control solenoid; 6 ohms, clear filters, and seemingly normal operation. (This valve contains two solenoids and involved the removal of the battery tray and repositioning of the transmission shift cable and wiring harness).

Based on some internet searches, I was hoping that I would find wrong something with the solenoids but that does not appear to be the case. Does anyone have any idea on what else I can check for or is the transmission done for? I have had transmissions go bad in the past that have caused complete loss of drivability (cold or normal temps). What's odd here is that the transmission works fine until it reaches normal operating temperatures.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vueatfplug.jpg (101.9 KB, 10 views)
helios is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
helios

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Transmission Shift Flaring - ODB2 Code P0747 - 2005 Saturn Vue v6 FWD

Just an update.

I swapped shift solenoids and tested them while they were out using an ohm meter and hooking them up to a battery. The tests passed and the car drove the same with the solenoids swapped. I also tested the transmission clutch pressure sensors and they appeared to be ok as well.

My guess is that the torque converter is bad or the internal (non-serviceable) filter is clogged.

Transmission shop quoted $2,500 for a complete rebuild.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:28 AM   #3
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the roughTobacconist is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Transmission Shift Flaring - ODB2 Code P0747 - 2005 Saturn Vue v6 FWD

Any update?
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
helios

2005 VUE 3.5L

No update on the repair. I sold the car. Unfortunately the repair cost was too high for me to justify a repair.