SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Turn key and Nothing.... Immobilizer issue?

I have had some issues with what I think is the immobilizer on the Saturn Vue 2007 3.5L V6. I previously posted about this, thinking it was a parasitic battery drain, however, it seems to be an intermittent non-start issue.

Symptoms:
- I turn the key and nothing happens. It doesn't even try to crank, nothing. This seems to happen randomly. Maybe 1 in 10 starts.

Fixes:
- If I disconnect the battery negative terminal and re-connect it, the car will usually start fine again.
- Sometimes I have gone inside, come out again later, I try again, and the car will start. Something timed out?

It sounds like an immobilizer issue or BCM issue(?). When looking online, I have seen a similar issue, but in those cases, the car at least tries to crank the engine. Mine is total silence!

I took the panels off the steering wheel and I don't see any sign of cut wires or anything.

More info:
The car didn't come with the original ignition key. The key I have doesn't open the door, so I would assume the ignition barrel has been replaced before. I have the remote key fob which unlocks and locks the car fine. The battery in it is good. When I lock the car, I see the orange security light in the dash

I will keep the thread updated. Any insight would be helpful. I am getting tired of taking the battery off each time!
seansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Turn key and Nothing.... Immobilizer issue?

I wonder if a loose starter wire connector could do that.
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
seansaturn
seansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of lightseansaturn is a glorious beacon of light

2007 VUE 3.5L

I saw two harnesses plugged into the ignition. One tiny one at the front, and another in the rear. I checked the harnesses to see if they were loose, but they seemed to be in there pretty well. I checked the wires and I didnt see any issues. I have attached images to this post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190923_092115.jpg (167.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190923_092118.jpg (183.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190923_092122.jpg (139.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190923_092129.jpg (175.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20190923_092137.jpg (133.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you sure this is Passlock security interfering with starting? This might be a worn starter. When the ignition switch is turned to the START position, 12v is fed to the starter small wire (purple?) to energize the starter solenoid. You can measure this wire for 12v, connected or disconnected (safer) from the starter. 12v is on this wire only when starting, goes away when the ignition key is released back to the ON/RUN position. If you have 12v on this wire when starting and the starter doesn't run, the starter is worn out. If 12v isn't on this wire during starting, the starting circuit is the problem.

To ensure main power is available, the battery and battery cables muse be in good condition before troubleshooting electrical/electronic circuits.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:19 PM   #5
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Both Vue's that I have seen with Passlock issues would actually start, but only run for a second or two and then shut back off. I don't think Passlock will cause what you are seeing.
'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thank you for the responses.

Is this wire in the images I posted? Or is it in another location?

I have been running a small Optima Prius battery on this car with some copper tubing over the terminals so they were big enough for the wire connections on the Vue. (It was supposed to be temporary, but I got a little lazy and short on cash to replace it). I was half wondering if this could be responsible.... but I was thinking 12v is 12v, however, im sure there is more to it than that

I replaced the battery today so I'm waiting for it to happen again, but its only been a day with 2 starts so far.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any connection to battery terminals other than normal can be troublesome if not setup correctly. Starters use the most amperage in a brief amount of time. Let's say headlights draw ten amps when turned on and your V6 needs 100 amps to run the starter. That's ten times the amount of current, ten sets of headlights running equal to your starter needing power for a few seconds. Battery cables are sized for brief high amperage current for starter use. The entire vehicle will never use 100 amps continuously while driving. In freezing weather, starters can draw around 250 amps or 25 sets of headlight power. Battery connections are crucial for distributing power where needed. Custom made battery connections can be made but requires consideration of electrical knowledge to make good connections.

Hopefully, replacing and using the correct battery and connections solved this problem.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 AM   #8
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

I've given it a fair amount of time and it looks like a new and proper sized battery has resolved this issue.

If anybody is experiencing these symptoms, then I hope it helps with a possible solution!

Thank you for the feedback and support!