SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 04-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Jaydvue
Jaydvue is on a distinguished road

Default 03 v6 awd no crank no start

Okay so the past few months my car has been having a slight crank issue. When we go to start it the crank is weak and will even have a pause at points. You have to hit the gas or stop cranking and try again to get it to start up.
The other day I turned went to turn the car on and it was still weakly cranking but no power. Tried to get it jumped and nothing so ended up getting a new battery and it turned right over(the battery was super old).

So it started no problem but I was idoling and the car overheated which is something I never have a problem with. The next day I go to drive it and it doesn't seem to be overheating...and I was trying to get it to just to see if it was going to be a problem. Wasn't overheating but I checked the relays out to see if one was bad and ended testing all of them and they're good. (I'm not sure if this has to do with the current problem but trying to include everything that happened with the car that day.

As soon as I'm done checking the relays I go to start the car and I get a weak crank but won't start then go to try again and nothing. No crank no start. It will make a click noise when I try to crank but nothing else. Battery seems fine and elecronics all seem to work.

So now I'm checking everything (which the starter is ridiculous to get to.) And when I try to check the starter it sparks. I think it may not be getting power to the starter but I'm not sure where to go from here because all the relays have been checked and seem good. I can't figure out how to check or change the starter relay cuz I think it's built into the starter.

Any help or advice would be helpful!
Jaydvue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 v6 awd no crank no start

Mileage and is the starter original? You may have more than one problem - a worn out starter and a cooling system issue. To eliminate as many things before concluding a worn out starter, be sure main power and their connections are clean, free of corrosion and connected securely. With a new battery, cables, their connections to battery, starter and two grounds (chassis and engine block) are considered. The drive belt and alternator are also possible issues. A tight belt and free testing of alternators by most auto stores providing free battery/alternator tests can help eliminate power issues. The last test to check for a worn out starter would be shorting two terminals on the starter relay; the large outside terminal (holding the battery cable and wire going to the alternator) is shorted to the smaller terminal having one small gauge purple wire. This purple wire is the START signal from the ignition switch. Shorting these two terminals may create a small electric arc but bypasses the starting circuit to test starter operation. Beware of the starter turning over the engine - do not turn on ignition. You may be startled but this is the old school way to test starters and can help determine if the starter or other problems exist. Starters can wear out in as little as 50k miles and last well past 250k miles.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote