SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
OHVtrash
OHVtrash is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Crank but no start problem

I on verge of selling my 98 SC1. Sooo much work put into it just tired of buying parts just to keep in on the road, anyway I've had a no start problem for awhile now and I've replaced both coils tested for spark still nothing. Replacing ICM and then exchanged the new coils just in case they were defective and still nothing. I have fuel and compression, just no spark. Before selling it should I buy the Crankshaft position sensor (CPS). If so should I get the OEM one or the Borg Warner? And also did alternator, battery pretty much new, plugs are AC Delco and wires are few months old.
OHVtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Crank but no start problem

You have fuel where? If you pulled spark plugs and don't see wet plugs after several starting attempts (engine turns over but doesn't fire up), fuel is relative. Fuel spraying out the test valve only verifies the fuel pump is working but doesn't tell you injectors are operating. One fuse powers injectors and the pcm pulses injectors. The pcm also provides timing for ignition to generate spark. Fuel and spark are needed to make an engine run.

Pull spark plugs and check for wetness. Dry plugs means injectors aren't operating even when fuel pressure and fuel sprays out the fuel test valve. Lack of spark and lack of fuel injectors not operating suggests the crank sensor isn't outputting to allow the pcm to operate the EFI system (turn on fuel pump while starting and running), generate spark and pulse injectors. The crank sensor provides the precise timing signals to allow the pcm to operate the EFI system.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #3
OHVtrash
OHVtrash is on a distinguished road

Already checked that , fuel pump primes. And I even test that there was a signal going to the rails. So no lack of fuel, just spark and I'm guessing the only explanation has something to do with the PCM not sensing the ICM. I've also checked underhood and dash fuses with a test light multiple times just in case.
OHVtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Read my post again, carefully. The fuel pump priming has absolutely nothing to do with injector pulses that let's fuel into each cylinder as the engine rotates. Fuel pressure is one thing, injector pulses are another. Pull plugs to verify either fuel is reaching each cylinder or not.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Crank position sensor should have been the first thing replaced.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote