SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
marsjupiter
marsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
Default water pump leak advice before I start repair

After work today my 2001 SL1 (135k miles) let all its coolant onto the pavement over the course of four hours. After looking at where the fluid leaked out (on the passenger side all over the bottom plate and on the belt which sprayed it everywhere) I concluded that I probably have to replace the pump which is something I can actually do, so that will be fun.

However, I have something else which I couldn't find in the forums: in the week before the leak the belt was making a loud squeaking noise. I was putting off looking into it because I am super busy until after Thursday so I thought it would be ok. Then suddenly the noise stopped and after two days of no noise this terrible leak happened. I am thinking the noise could be due to the coolant on the belt and the sudden stop due to even more coolant on the belt, which means I have had a slow leak for over a week. But I wanted to get your opinions before I rush on ahead because of my inexperience.

Also, if I have to take it to the mechanic can I fill the coolant tank with just water and drive it there in ten minutes, or should I fill it with 50/50? Seems like a waste when I just need to move it a short distance and it definitely won't be freezing.

Finally, hooray for Saturns because it has been three years since I had to do a real repair.
marsjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
wingsauce7
wingsauce7 has a spectacular aura aboutwingsauce7 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2000 SL1
Default Re: water pump leak advice before I start repair

You can run with water. I've experienced squealing noise from the pump bearing before having my water pump crap the bed...
2002 SL1 Manual 208,000 miles
2001 SL1 Manual 425,000 miles!! (original clutch)
2000 SL1 Manual 235,000 miles
wingsauce7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

The noise could have been either the belt or the pump, but if you found your leak source I really wouldn't worry about the noise unless it remains after replacement of the pump.

These pumps can be funky when they leak, sometimes not leaking for a while, then sometimes dumping. I just recently did mine, and it was hit and miss as to when and how much it would leak.

They aren't that bad to do though, so that's a plus. If you do take it to a shop, don't waste the money on coolant, water will cool these cars just fine.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Once you get the wheel, the plastic inner panels, and the serp belt off, it is easy to spin and wiggle all the other pulleys to make sure they are ok. Take your time doing the pump and clean the mating surface on the block well. You do not want to have to do the job again because of a leak. This is also a good time to flush the entire cooling system, change the tstat and ects, check and/or change radiator and heater hoses if you want to cover all the bases.
97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
marsjupiter
marsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura aboutmarsjupiter has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1

Ran into an unexpected problem. Two different guides said to loosen the water pump pulley bolts before loosening the serpentine, but when I try and loosen them the water pump just spins instead of the bolt. I got two of three bolts loosened by holding one bolt to keep the pulley in place in order to loosen the other, but now I'm stuck on what to do with the last bolt.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsjupiter View Post
Ran into an unexpected problem. Two different guides said to loosen the water pump pulley bolts before loosening the serpentine, but when I try and loosen them the water pump just spins instead of the bolt. I got two of three bolts loosened by holding one bolt to keep the pulley in place in order to loosen the other, but now I'm stuck on what to do with the last bolt.
The best way to describe this is that you have to walk them off, playing one off of the other. So reinstall one of them, them use it to loosen the last one. You may have to do this a few times but eventually you'll progress to them being loose, typically.

There is also the trick of finger tightening two of them and using a screw driver across them to hold the pulley in place. It actually works but is hard to describe.

I've also had some so tight I've had to grind them off.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
marsjupiter

2001 SL1

Thanks Robert, I was just out and succeeded in doing just that!

Now I'm on to the bolts on the pump itself. I was able to get the most accessible one off by torquing with all of my might and I'm worried about my ability to do the rest, especially the top two you have to reach from above. Man, in the video the guy so casually takes off these bolts, I didn't think I had to be Hercules to do it. It's dark now so I will have to wait until tomorrow to try again.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I suspect our SL2 has the same problem. It's been leaking coolant more and more frequently over the last couple weeks and it appears to be coming from the bottom end of the right side of the block (passenger side) towards the rear - closer to the firewall. I haven't had it up on ramps or jacks, so I haven't seen exactly where it's coming from, but it drips onto that lower suspension plate that's horizontal and runs back towards the firewall. All the hoses up top look fine, so I am guessing the pump is leaking, or maybe it's a cut hose or a clamp that's going bad. It's to the point now where if I fill up the reservoir, within a day or 2 it's empty and the low coolant light is on. Previously it'd take a few weeks. I don't usually drive the car (it's my wife's) but I know I've heard squeaking from belts in the recent past. My guess is this is like what the OP describes. I'm just real afraid that it's going to let loose on her while she's driving on the highway and leave her stranded in a dangerous area in the 100+ degree heat of summer.

A new water pump assembly is about $100 on Saturn Parts .net, and the hoses are under $20 each, so this doesn't look like it will necessarily be terribly expensive, I hope.

I'm going to go look for that video mentioned above of replacing the water pump, but a link or any advice would be appreciated. I'll probably be doing this same repair very very soon...
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Found this, probably applicable as the 1.9L is more or less the same all the way around on this.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Dizzy Re: water pump leak advice before I start repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Found this, probably applicable as the 1.9L is more or less the same all the way around on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwFVKwEwvbQ

The link isn't showing up!!
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
el diablo viejo

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

You do not want to delay this repair. If it overheats not only are you broken down somewhere at probably the most inopportune time and place, but you risk cooking your engine into a massive repair bill or a new car.
97 sl2 a/t 104 K
Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 AM   #12
Dante
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablo viejo View Post
You do not want to delay this repair. If it overheats not only are you broken down somewhere at probably the most inopportune time and place, but you risk cooking your engine into a massive repair bill or a new car.
Exactly what I'm afraid of... and with it being my wife driving it, I'd much rather it not end that way. I've got a new water pump on the way already from my parts hookup. I checked it today after she drove it and it probably leaked out 8 to 12 oz of coolant in 2 trips/ heat cycles. It seems to mainly leak when it is hot, and not when it's cold.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
el diablo viejo

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Did you confirm that it is the pump that is leaking ?
97 sl2 a/t 104 K
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 PM   #14
marsjupiter

2001 SL1

Dante - yes I was following that video and something from this forum: forums/showthread.php?t=149588

Diablo - I was fairly confident it was the pump from the way the hoses were dry and how the coolant was flowing on the passenger side. I confirmed it once I had the wheel and splash guards off I poured more water from the top and watched it flow out the bottom of the pump.

My update: I got PB Blaster and got 4 of 6 pump screws off. The last two still defy me. This fix should be quite easy if it weren't for the rusted bolts. In order to visit the mechanic I reassembled everything in 15 minutes - if the bolts had come off easily the entire job, starting from ignorance, should have been quick and easy. I want one of those bendy electric socket guns, I think that might work.

Last edited by marsjupiter; 07-31-2014 at 11:49 PM.