SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Rut Dog
Rut Dog is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default How to Remove Wiper Arm - 03 Vue

I'm trying to remove the wiper arms of my 03 Vue so I can replace the washer nozzle under the cowl.

I've removed the nuts, but the arms are not budging. Chilton's says they should just wiggle off.

And for the first time ever, a search has provided no help, hence I de-lurk for the first time in 10 years.

Suggestions?
Rut Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: How to Remove Wiper Arm - 03 Vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
I'm trying to remove the wiper arms of my 03 Vue so I can replace the washer nozzle under the cowl.

I've removed the nuts, but the arms are not budging. Chilton's says they should just wiggle off.

And for the first time ever, a search has provided no help, hence I de-lurk for the first time in 10 years.

Suggestions?
Welcome - I'm glad you quit lurking - I imagine you can be as helpful as most of us.

I've not tried to remove a Vue wiper arm - I've attached a service manual extract. It appears you've done everything expected so far.

I recall removing rear wiper blade from a Forester in the past - I loosened the nut - sprayed the shaft with stuff that took the paint off the rear hatch - put the nut back on - put a forked tool underneath the wiper arm - applied upward pressure and tapped on nut with a small hammer a few times.

The blade came off (daughter continues to remind me of the damaged paint on rear hatch).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - Wiper Arm R2.pdf (103.1 KB, 144 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Kyle51895
Kyle51895 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Which side are you replacing? My Dad and I replaced my passenger side nozzle without removing the wiper arm. I have no idea about the drivers side though. We just removed a plastic panel and there it was. I think it had four of those push pin connector things holding it down.
2003 Saturn Vue - 2.2L Ecotec - 5 speed Getrag Manual Transmission
Mods: 2006 VUE Redline Gauge Cluster, Red Climate Controls, Debong, 16" Drag DR-34 rims
Kyle51895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Rut Dog

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle51895 View Post
Which side are you replacing? My Dad and I replaced my passenger side nozzle without removing the wiper arm. I have no idea about the drivers side though. We just removed a plastic panel and there it was. I think it had four of those push pin connector things holding it down.
Precisely.

The pass side washer nozzle is replaced.

But I am unable to get to the driver's side nozzle because both wiper arms obstruct the cowl on the driver's side.

Last edited by Rut Dog; 10-03-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Rut Dog

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Welcome - I'm glad you quit lurking - I imagine you can be as helpful as most of us.

I've not tried to remove a Vue wiper arm - I've attached a service manual extract. It appears you've done everything expected so far.
Thanks for the welcome.

The illustration was helpful in that it shows I'm not missing anything.

I guess 10 years have set the things in there firm.

Maybe I'll try some penetrating oil -- or the old liquid wrench.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post

Suggestions?

One thing that has worked well for me with many vehicles:

Remove the nuts and spray the area with penetrant. Use a battery terminal top-post connector remover tool to remove the wiper arm.

The tool is inexpensive ($3-$5 at most auto parts stores) and works very, very well. When you attach the tool to the wiper arm, use one hand to lift the spring-loaded blade away from the windshield and use the other arm to tighten the tool. The wiper arm will pop-off easily.

If you're not sure how to use the tool, just ask the store clerk to show you how it works. It is very easy to use and prevents damaging the wiper arm and/or wiper transmission shaft.

If the wiper arm is stuck on the shaft, and you wiggle it too much to remove it - you run the risk of damaging the wiper arm transmission assembly.

Good luck - I hope this helps.
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Rut Dog

2003 VUE 3.0L

Fun learning about this stuff.

There are two good videos on youtube, showing the two different types of tools on the market, but I can't post links yet.

Search youtube for

Front wind-shield wiper arm remover - 1941

Rear wind-shield wiper arm remover - 1942

If searching for the tools try some different combinations of these terms:

puller (or)
removal tool (or)
remover
(with)
wiper arm (or)
battery terminal
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I have replaced the washer nozzles on my Vue, and I remember having this same problem. I tried prying on the arm while popping the shaft with a brass hammer (GENTLY!) but nothing would pry it loose. I wound up just loosening the panel for the driver's side nozzle, twisting it around a bit, and jamming my arms up under there, destroying the bottom side of the nozzle and ripping it out with much prejudice. Then, I popped in the new nozzle, reconnected the hoses (with some swearing), and then popping the panel back in place.

As far as I'm concerned, that SOB isn't coming off.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

I have replaced them a couple of times...I don't think I took the wipers off to do it. The nozzles break from freezing. Use wiper fluid with a lower freezing temp and they won't break again.
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
MacTavish14
MacTavish14 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2002 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up Re: How to Remove Wiper Arm - 03 Vue

Stupid push pins. I broke one. But I got the nozzles replaced (figured I'd do both if I had to dismantle nearly half my car to do it), adjusted my wiper blades, and it looks (and works) good so far. Thanks for all the help. By the way, this post is my coming-out (of creeper mode) myself.
MacTavish14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivernut View Post
I have replaced them a couple of times...I don't think I took the wipers off to do it. The nozzles break from freezing. Use wiper fluid with a lower freezing temp and they won't break again.
Agreed. I too replaced the nozzles without taking off the wiper arms. The driver's side is the more difficult one to replace.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
4Jfamily
4Jfamily is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.6L

Not sure how different they are but just did this on my '07. Passenger arm came off with ease but driver side would not budge. With passenger side off was able to lift panel enough to reach hose and nozzle.
4Jfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Rut Dog

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jfamily View Post
Not sure how different they are but just did this on my '07. Passenger arm came off with ease but driver side would not budge. With passenger side off was able to lift panel enough to reach hose and nozzle.
In the end an experienced technician who I'm friendly with basically just yanked them off. He said it is something you sometimes have to really apply what seems like a lot of force, but you get a knack for it, and learn how to apply the force at the correct angle.