Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Wrench Complete brake job parts list

Hey gang,

I'm planning on doing a full brake job on my '04 Redline soon. I'm at 107K miles and I've replaced the front pads and rotors once, but the rear is OEM. I had the drums off recently and the shoes are fairly low on friction material and not worn completely evenly.

For the fronts, I'm probably going with what seems to be the most popular pads around here, the EBC Green Stuff pads:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-DP71617/

and the Raybestos 580083 Brake Rotors:

http://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-5800...ar=1&carId=001

I'm not so particular about the rears, so I'll probably just get whatever my Dad can get through his warehouse at his auto supply store, but for others I've found this:

Shoes:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AGB-780PG/
Drums:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AXT-AX80105/

One thing I'd like to ask the community is this: has anyone found that they need to replace any of the guide pins or boots up front or any of the adjustment parts in the drum?

I found this kit for the drums:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DHB-HW7316/
for around $7 a side, I will probably get 2 "just in case".

Found this for the front:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DHB-HW5086/

It sucks to get in the middle of a job like that and realize you need to replace stuff.

I've read over my printout of the factory service manual steps for replacing the pads and rotors and surprisingly it didn't mention anything about replacing these parts other than basically just look at them and see if they're rusted or not moving smoothly.

If anyone has some expertise they'd like to lend to this thread to help enlighten others as they do this work, please share. If anyone has a PDF of the FSM steps on doing the front and rear brake jobs and can upload them, that'd be greatly appreciated.

This thread isn't intended as a "what's the best pads" thread, that's discussed elsewhere. This is for just the mechanical steps of doing the work and any caveats or tips along that path. Thanks guys.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Complete brake job parts list

That hardware kit has all you'll need for both sides, so you should only need one. Check you parts stores for wheel cylinder availability in case you get a leaker like I did. I used new Raybestos drums, which worked fine but the outside soon rusted to a festive shade of green. I took them back off, cleaned them up and shot them with some black caliper paint. Looks much better, I'd highly recommend the same before you install the new drums.
Looks like you're going the right direction, good luck!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Thanks... What exactly was leaking on you?

Whenever I've got the drums off, I always take the time to rough up the painted outside surface with Scotch-brite, then spray them down with Simple Green or SuperClean, rinse off with high pressure, then let them dry in the sun before putting on a couple coats of black high-temp paint. I just hate rusted drums. I'd prefer to not have drums at all on our cars, but hey the least you can do is make them look new, right?
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

When I pulled back the little dust boot on the wheel cylinder (the item that pushes the shoes against the drum, full of brake fluid), quite a bit of fluid ran out. The other cylinder was dry, but it's always a good idea to replace both. Rebuild kits are available, but my local Advance Autoparts had new units for under $20. They had to be ordered, but would be in the following morning; a no-brainer in my book. Of course you'll have to bleed the brakes afterwords, I decided to bleed all four brakes so the whole system has fresh fluid. Drain and refill the reservoir at the master cylinder first; that way you'll get clean fluid to the wheels sooner. I also highly recommend getting a flare nut wrench, 10mm I think, to remove the brake line from the wheel cylinder. A regular open end wrench will almost always slip. Good luck!
BTW - I don't have anti-lock brakes. I'm not sure if there's a difference, but worth checking out if your's does.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
Venom
Venom is on a distinguished road

How much of a PITA are the rear drums?

Brakewise my 06 Vue has been good to me in the brake department. 133,000 and I am still on the original rear drums. Getting ready to replace the fronts for the 2nd time.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

RAYBESTOS Part # WC370130 Professional Grade Rear Wheel cylinder

3yr 36k mile warranty $6.47 each on RockAuto.

Considering the price, why not replace them when you're replacing the shoes?

On my SC the wheel cylinders were leaking at 85k miles.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
05SaturnVUE3.5
05SaturnVUE3.5 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

My front brakes made noise from about 5,000 and it didn't matter what pad I switched to. I just replaced my front rotors with a set of Bendix rotors from Summit Racing for around $29 each. I also put a set of Duralast ceramic pads on. I think they were about $55 from Autozone. I bedded them in and it not only stops good but there is no squeaking or squealing so far!
05SaturnVUE3.5 is offline   Reply With Quote