SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Stanley_Krute
Stanley_Krute has a spectacular aura aboutStanley_Krute has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
1999 SL1
Default 1999 SL1 -- dead battery -- security hell

Howdy

I have had a used 1999 Saturn SL1 for a few months now. Lovely vehicle.

Today I goofed, and left the lights on when I parked at my office. Went out three hours later, and the battery was dead.

Looked in my owner's manual Re: jump-starting, and connected a charger per those instructions.

It started charging fine, but also went into some security mode: lights blinking, horn singing, beeping, etc. For two minutes. Then it stopped.

Got the battery all charged up. Went to start the car. But it again did the 2-minute security dance. And wouldn't start. And I couldn't move it from Park (auto trans).

The vehicle did not come with a remote security system transmitter, so I didn't think it had any sort of security. But it seems it does.

Any idea how to get out of this hell mode ??

I tried the procedure in the owner's manual, pg. 79, "Starting your Saturn (If your transmitter is lost or damaged and the Saturn Security System is armed)". Didn't work.

thanks for any thoughts

stan
Stanley_Krute is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
huidaman
huidaman is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Re: 1999 SL1 -- dead battery -- security hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_Krute View Post
Any idea how to get out of this hell mode ??
I have no idea what model of security system your vehicle would have, but if it has a security system and no remote to go with it, the first thing I'd do would be to find the model number of the receiver under the dash (that should be where it is) and try to find a compatible remote and a manual online.

If all else fails, I'd be under there ripping that damn thing out and restoring all the stock wiring connections.

EDIT: You could try doing this: Turn the key rapidly from LOCK to RUN and back to LOCK about 5 times...this may put it in a sort of Valet mode so you can start the car and get home.
huidaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
Stanley_Krute
Stanley_Krute has a spectacular aura aboutStanley_Krute has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huidaman View Post
I have no idea what model of security system your vehicle would have, but if it has a security system and no remote to go with it, the first thing I'd do would be to find the model number of the receiver under the dash (that should be where it is) and try to find a compatible remote and a manual online.
There's nothing under the dash. Is there some sort of stock anti-theft system in these cars, that might be triggered into being stupid by a draining/recharging of the battery ??

Quote:
You could try doing this: Turn the key rapidly from LOCK to RUN and back to LOCK about 5 times...this may put it in a sort of Valet mode so you can start the car and get home.
Okay .... Tried that. It just did its whoop whoop blink blink thing while I was going back and forth.

-- stan
Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

There's no "receiver under the dash". The "security" is FACTORY (since it's in the owner's manual) and is part of the RKE. The RKE module is next to the rear seat, behind the trim panel next to the right rear door.

But that's not relevant. This version of Saturn security simply goes into alarm mode when you lock the car with the remote, and then try to unlock it with the key. Or when it _thinks_ that's what has happened, and I reckon the power interruption from the dead battery has somehow made it think that that's what has happened.

For the time being, visit our How-To Library and search on "paper clip" for instructions on how to disable the security for now. Meanwhile, look for a fob or two on eBay. They don't need to be for a Saturn. Any GM fob with an FCC code of AB01502T, and four buttons, will do. When they arrive, you can use the same instructions to sync the fobs and re-enable (if desired) the security.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
huidaman
huidaman is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
There's nothing under the dash. Is there some sort of stock anti-theft system in these cars, that might be triggered into being stupid by a draining/recharging of the battery ??

Okay .... Tried that. It just did its whoop whoop blink blink thing while I was going back and forth.

-- stan
First of all...does it do the "whoop whoop" thing as in the horn, or does it sound like an aftermarket car alarm?
huidaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
For the time being, visit our How-To Library and search on "paper clip" for instructions on how to disable the security for now.
Found it: " "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing" Off to prep a paper clip and see if the technique there will do the trick.

Thanks for speedy thoughts.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Found it: " "S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing" Off to prep a paper clip and see if the technique there will do the trick.
Per that note, I ran the paper clip from pin #8 to #4. Didn't hear any status horn chirps. Cycled the key 11 times, pulled out the jumper. As soon as I turned the key for the first on-off cycle, the beep beep blink blink whoop whoop of the alarm started, and it kept going for its usual 2 minute period.

Tried it all a second time, same lack of results.

Hmmm .... mysteries !!!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There may be a back door reset by simply pulling the battery negative cable for 30 seconds then re-attaching. It may require the key left in the ignition ON position; try it without the key and then with the key in the ignition switch.

Is this no-start problem where there's dead silence when turning the ignition key to START? If so, locate the starter relay interrupt under the steering column and replace it or bypass it with a jumper wire across socket pins 30 and 87. The ignition key should now work to power the starter.

And if this is the original starter, it may be worn out and let you know at the wrong time. Some have luck with banging the starter body with a 2x4 for another start. If this works, replace the starter.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There may be a back door reset by simply pulling the battery negative cable for 30 seconds then re-attaching. It may require the key left in the ignition ON position; try it without the key and then with the key in the ignition switch.
Aha !! The final try, with the key in the ignition switch, worked. [I set the key to the Run position.]

Phew !!!!

Thanks so much to everyone who jumped in. When this happened last night, I googled {saturn users forums} and found this community. Thanks SaturnFans ! Thanks Google !! Thanks 'net !!!!

-- stan
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Wrapping up for future viewers of this thread:

Quote:
First of all...does it do the "whoop whoop" thing as in the horn, or does it sound like an aftermarket car alarm?
The sounds seemed to be quite integrated w/ the car. As the car's lights blinked, it went whoop whoop beep beep like the sound effects from an early 80's video/computer game.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Quote:
This version of Saturn security simply goes into alarm mode when you lock the car with the remote, and then try to unlock it with the key. Or when it _thinks_ that's what has happened, and I reckon the power interruption from the dead battery has somehow made it think that that's what has happened.
Thanks madpogue for nailing the diagnosis.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Wrapping up for future viewers of this thread:

The sounds seemed to be quite integrated w/ the car. As the car's lights blinked, it went whoop whoop beep beep like the sound effects from an early 80's video/computer game.
Sounds like there's still aftermarket equipment mixed in somewhere. The factory Security feature built into the RKE module only sounds the horn; there's no other speaker. Where was the sound coming from? Maybe someone incorporated the sound chip from an old '80s video game .
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

For sure that has some type of aftermarket alarm on it, the saturn system just uses the horn.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Sounds like there's still aftermarket equipment mixed in somewhere. The factory Security feature built into the RKE module only sounds the horn; there's no other speaker. Where was the sound coming from? Maybe someone incorporated the sound chip from an old '80s video game .
I meant to record the sound, but the problem got cured before I got to that.

It was from somewhere central in the engine compartment, but I couldn't nail it down further.

When it was in alarm mode, just tapping anything in the engine compartment set it off -- for example, just undoing the bolt on the negative battery post.

Any thoughts as to what I should be looking for to track this down ??

Would it have added a module to the fuse box ??