SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 11-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
tcinnamon
tcinnamon is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default '07 Vue after market radio harness/stuff? Help!

Hi!

New to the forum. Just bought my second Saturn (traded in the L200 for the '07 Vue). I purposely didn't order any upgrades to the audio system because I wanted a NAV system. I've zeroed in on the Eclipse AVN5500. I've seen posts of other folks that have successfully done it, complete with pictures!! I have gathered the following information from a variety of posts:

1. Metra 95-3302 Double DIN. You definitely need this to make the NAV head unit fit properly.
2. Metra 40-CR10 antenna adapter. I called Metra on this, because I figured the 40-GM10 would be correct, but the tech at Metra said the Chrysler adapter is the correct one (go figure).
3. Metra 70-2202 wiring harness. This will take care of the speakers and power.
4. PAC SWI-ECL. This puppy will hook into the back of the Eclipse and preserve my steering wheel audio controls (they also make a module for pioneer and alpine)

Now, for the harder stuff...
I have directly contacted Metra, PAC, Soundgate, Scosche and Crutchfield. NONE of them said they had any kind of wiring kit to preserve the OnStar connectivity. It gets weirder:
- The Soundgate tech said the factory speakers wouldn't work because of an unusual ohm value.
- Crutchfield said I would lose my door chimes (Metra said I wouldn't).

So here are my questions:

1. Anyone figured out how to make OnStar work, without keeping the entire factory radio connected? I've read that the system is fully functional, but you just can't hear them talk to you (i.e., if the airbags deploy, they call, I can't hear them, and they send the medics out - not necessarily a bad thing)
2. For those of you that have done this already, do I have it right?
3. Did you lose the door chimes?
4. Any other gotchas I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum is an awesome database of knowledge!

Todd
tcinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #2
06VRL
06VRL is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: '07 Vue after market radio harness/stuff? Help!

Todd, I am also looking for the same solutions as you, if it helps I will post links to the best prices I found for the following items
Metra 95-3302 http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/154914/953302.html
Metra 40-CR10 http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/132941/40-CR10.html
Metra 70-2202 http://www.shipsound.com/product_inf...f300261227dcf0
PAC SWI-ECL http://www.shipsound.com/product_inf...ucts_id=102840

At this time I have no more information for the other items, in regards to the links I presented, I have researched both these companies and will do business with them, they have both received good reviews from customers, say if you find a solution for the onstar & chimes it would be great if you posted it here and I will do the same!

Mark

Last edited by 06VRL; 11-21-2006 at 04:17 AM.
06VRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
tcinnamon

2007 VUE 3.5L

Well, the plot thickens. I went back to Circuit City, and the manager there (whom a bunch of folks around here think is a guru) says Metra is coming out with a "GMOS-LAN05", which will supposedly preserve EVERYTHING!! He also said the part would be available in the December '06 timeframe, and would list at around $150.

SO......
I called Metra this afternoon. While they find such a part number in their database, the description is blank, so they couldn't tell me about it (other than the fact it isn't in production yet). They recommended the 70-2022 as the way to go, if I could live without OnStar.

I think I'm going to go forward with the products as mentioned above, and lose the OnStar until this new widget comes out, then purchase the LAN05 product and install it *IF* I want to hear the OnStar folks when they call me.

PS. On a related note, I confirmed that Myron&Davis makes an all in one headrest DVD/screen that will fit in an '06 and '07 Vue. I went over to the local Saturn Dealer and actually swapped headrests between my 07 and an 06 on the lot. Let me know if anyone is interested in the gory details!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
tcinnamon

2007 VUE 3.5L

Well, here's the latest update. The Eclipse AVN5500 is now installed. I had Circuit City do the deal (there were WAY too many wires and splices for me to attempt). They used the Metra parts, but apparently didn't need the 40-CR10 antenna adapter. They said they found a metra part that had both the harness and the antenna plug.

After effects:

1. Door Chimes - when I turn off the engine, leave the key in the ignition, then open the door, the chime works just fine. That is apparently a non-issue. Any other tests anyone wants me to run on that?

2. OnStar - can't hear a thing

Here are the leftover problems....

1. According to their research, there is no "Vehicle Speed pulse signal wire" that the Eclipse can splice into. That makes the GPS less reliable in certain circumstances, and a very annoying warning message appears across the top of the display... "check speed pulse", or some such nonsense.

2. The PAC SWI-ECL came out of the box DOA. They've already ordered another one. I'll have an update on that as soon as the new one is installed.

So, does anyone know about that Speed Pulse wire? I thought other folks installed NAV systems in Vues.

PS. For those who care, the label on the Saturn OEM radio says Panasonic. It indicates that it uses 4 ohms for the speakers

PPS. the "DVD in the headrest" system will be installed next week. I'll take some pictures when it's all done.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
JasonMK
JasonMK is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

If you are still interested, or any other reading this older post, Metra now has a GMOS-LAN-06 which will retain the OnStar. I am just trying to find a store that carrys it so i can buy one for my new 2007 VUE.
JasonMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
JasonMK
JasonMK is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2002 SL2

Just for fun, here's a picture of my aftermarket install, and it works just fine.

JasonMK is offline   Reply With Quote