SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 08-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Steering rattle

My 03 vue has a quiet steering motion. My 08 equinox has an annoying rattle when you wiggle the wheel. Both have the elec boost steering setup. I think they are almost identical? I changed the steering knuckle on a prior equinox and it made no difference. Anyone here dealt with this issue? I 98% sure it is coming from column.
Yes, it really could be knuckle on the 08.
Sis has had this for 10 yrs. it rattled at 30k miles.
I just bought it. It has 118k now. Still rattles.
It has all new brakes.front/rear Rotors, calipers, pads. Caliper guide pins? New
Brake pad anti rattle plate/backing plate? New

Last edited by Cavell; 08-06-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Steering rattle

Having had 4 equinoxes and 3 vues I’m kind of used to rattle noises. This rig rattled at 30k miles in 2012. Sis had it inspected at dealer. Under warranty. They shrugged. I own it now. Yes, usual suspects. Tie rods. Steering rack? Control arm bushings? Sway bar links. Intermediate shaft?
Old 08-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Oddly, I have seen several vues in junkyards with steering boost unit removed. One had the whole dash removed and steering unit was gone? I have never seen the problem mentioned at this website. But, I never see equinoxes with steering guts torn out. And they are the same parts. My kid is driving equinox. And she txted me “what’s wrong with steering rattle”? Gulp.
Sis drove it for 10 yrs with rattle. And she went to dealer for ALL service.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
Oddly, I have seen several vues in junkyards with steering boost unit removed. One had the whole dash removed and steering unit was gone? I have never seen the problem mentioned at this website. But, I never see equinoxes with steering guts torn out. And they are the same parts. My kid is driving equinox. And she txted me “what’s wrong with steering rattle”? Gulp.
Sis drove it for 10 yrs with rattle. And she went to dealer for ALL service.
Hi Cavell. Vue steering units are very popular for installing into rat rods and older cars. They bolt in fairly easily and there are aftermarket control boxes for them. Cheap and easy power steering. They are a prime target for pickers. The newer cars might be CAN bus.
As far as clunking noises it is all the usual suspects. Control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and links, strut seats, tie rod ends. Other sources not always looked at are the intermediate steering shaft, engine and transmission mounts and steering rack.
A pry bar works well to see if bushings are bad. Getting under the car while someone turns the wheel back and forth is a good way to check for play in tie rods, rack, ball joints, and the lower end of the intermediate shaft.
Under the dash you can check the shaft upper joints.
Since the noises started early but the car has been driving ok I would check the control arm bushings and swaybar bushings first. Next look at the intermediate steering shaft. There is a spline inside the shaft that allows for axial movement. This wears and can bind giving a clunking noise when going over uneven ground. It can develop some side play and gives a little steering wheel shake. For some reason GM never seems to figure out steering shafts.
2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

I never looked at my sisters equinox to try and resolve it. Now that we own it, I am looking at it. My kid is driving it and she lives elsewhere. I have replaced a steering shaft on a prior equinox. Made no difference. Ended up being blown struts. I can wiggle steering wheel with car off and it’s rattle/rattle/rattle. I have a torrent and drove yesterday and it is quiet. No steering noise. I just have to look at the new equinox when I have the chance.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:58 PM   #6
barriosl
barriosl is on a distinguished road

My experience with rattling has purely been with the steering shaft. It's the splined shaft that connects the shaft to the column. You can try & remove the pinch bolt that secures the two pieces (right behind the steering wheel) & adjust it closer or further.

I've gone through 3 shafts in the last 6 months because of this rattle... no longer worth the headache.
barriosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:05 PM   #7
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Yes, I drove the 08 10 years ago and it had 30k miles and rattled. Sis never did anything about it. Even when it had warranty.