SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
sl1driver
sl1driver is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default Shifter Cable Bushing

I always try to find information on the forum myself using the search function, figuring that most questions have already been asked. However I didn't find the answer to my question, although I admit I certainly could have missed it. Anyway, to my question.

I have about 147k miles on my original bushing. Knowing that it's living on borrowed time, I looked up saturnbushingman on eBay. He has bushings listed for several model years but the bushings all look the same. Do all the manual transmissions use the same cable bushing regardless of year?
Andy

2000 SL1 5 speed - 149k and still going strong. Slight oil usage.
New Intake Manifold Gasket, Clutch, Ects, Thermostat, IAC, TPS
sl1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
sl1driver

2000 SL1
Default Re: Shifter Cable Bushing

UPDATE: While I was originally looking, I was interrupted by a dog who needed to go outside, and when I came back and continued my search I didn't find my year (2000). Upon looking again, I see it plain as day. I feel a fool. Oh, well. Some days are like that.

Out of curiosity though, I would still like to know if they are indeed all the same. The pictures on his eBay page are identical.
Andy

Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

All the same. If you get a replacement, chances are your original will last another 10 years.

I have one of the Delrin units that hasn't been used yet. When my original went I used one of the "temporary" fixes that has now been working for years.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
fastwoman
fastwoman is on a distinguished road

Saturnbushingman will provide you the correct part. He knows his tiny corner of the Saturn universe very well and manufactures/sells a quality part. He also seems to be an extremely honest and conscientious guy (have exchanged several chatty emails with him), so if you do get the wrong part for any reason, I'm sure he'll make it right.

FAIW the bushing he sold me did the trick. The shift works/feels great. Beware of Chinese knockoffs. Tolerances are very important.
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
sl1driver

2000 SL1

Thanks for the replies. After I found his listing for my model year I was good to go but I was still curious. I have a bushing on the way. I thought about hanging onto it for a while but I decided not to tempt fate. I'll be swapping it as soon as it comes in.
Andy

Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1driver View Post
I thought about hanging onto it for a while but I decided not to tempt fate. I'll be swapping it as soon as it comes in.
Just depends on your circumstances. I purchased the bushing and kept it in the trunk of my car along with the other normal tools I keep back there. Mine broke about two miles from home on the way home from work. I limped home and replaced it in less than an hour. It would have only taken about thirty minutes but was having trouble using the c-clamp to clamp the new bushing on the shifter. Used some tape to keep the bushing on the shifter, solved that problem. Some people say it is a pain trying to take the old one off, which only means MORE work to do 'preventive' maintenance. If you wait until the original one breaks, no need to 'struggle' with that part of the project.
2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 11/12/20: 78,895 Miles
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote