SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
calvarystand
calvarystand is on a distinguished road

Default Help, My back seat will not go back up!

I am a new saturn owner. I bought a 2008 Astra XR. Got a great deal. Only 30,000 miles...

I read on the forum that the rear seats would fold flat if you push a little and it worked. But, how do you get them to unlock? The button at the top seems to only release the locking mechanism that held it in the up position.

Any help would be appreciated.
calvarystand is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Help, My back seat will not go back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarystand View Post
I am a new saturn owner. I bought a 2008 Astra XR. Got a great deal. Only 30,000 miles...

I read on the forum that the rear seats would fold flat if you push a little and it worked. But, how do you get them to unlock? The button at the top seems to only release the locking mechanism that held it in the up position.

Any help would be appreciated.
It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain that the same locking pin that secures the seat in the upright position is also the one to do it in the down position. You must be one of the lucky ones that can lock their seats in the down position because when some of us tried this a few years ago, the seat foam put up too much resistance unless you used a lot of downward force.

Which is also the key to unlocking them. You might need to climb inside and use your full body weight, but you need to press the seatback down while operating the same release lever in order to disengage the locking pin (located down near the outer hinge point).
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
calvarystand

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it's not luck but my being overweight. I will try that. Cool idea for a screen name by the way (Astra La Vista)

Thanks again
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarystand View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it's not luck but my being overweight. I will try that. Cool idea for a screen name by the way (Astra La Vista)
Come to think of it, I believe I may have gained a little weight since back when I tried to lock my rear seats down. Before, I only managed to lock one side, but who knows today? The seats really do lay down flatter when locked than when not locked, but it is more of a "feature" than a "must have".

Don't be a stranger, new Astra owner!
"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i did it once to see that it could be done. it was such a PITA to get the seat back released i never did it again. you have to push down real hard to get the latch to unlatch.

if gm had a video of the feature it would say in small print "professional seat folder in a controlled environment, do not try this at home".
Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
Burgandy25
Burgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura aboutBurgandy25 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
if gm had a video of the feature it would say in small print "professional seat folder in a controlled environment, do not try this at home".
bahahahaha, this was prime
Burgandy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
williamgcastro
williamgcastro has a spectacular aura aboutwilliamgcastro has a spectacular aura aboutwilliamgcastro has a spectacular aura about

Removing the bottom seat cushion would make it easier to lock the seatbacks down.
williamgcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamgcastro View Post
Removing the bottom seat cushion would make it easier to lock the seatbacks down.
True, but the seat bottom can be just as tricky to fully lock back into place upon reinstallation.

Besides, without the seat bottom in place, there would be a gap between the "floor" and the seatback when locked down, meaning that the locking pins alone would bear the weight of anything loaded on top.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Articwhite2008
Articwhite2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

you have to push down hard and push the button to release it. I remember i locked one side and it was a pain to unlock it. You really have to take the lower seat out to lock it up easily.
Articwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
calvarystand

That did it Thanks...