SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Bolt Fairy Strikes! Timing cover middle bolt size?

So I had a little time to work on the car yesterday. Put the timing chain cover back on, poured out the bolts out of the carefully labeled bag in which I had them stored... hmmm.

You know the sock fairy, that takes on sock of a pair on each wash? The bolt fairy seems to have struck me.

I'm missing one of the center bolts... the ones with the smaller heads (8mm? ). What information do I need to replace it? thread pitch, grade, length, etc.?

That way, I can call around rather than pulling out the one I have, and drive around for people to try and figure it out, then seeing if they have one. Thanks in advance!

BTW, one of the regular timing chain cover bolts (10mm) will fit in fine - didn't check the length, just tried it out of curiosity.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Bolt Fairy Strikes! Timing cover middle bolt size?

There are only 8mm and 10mm bolts holding the TC on. Personally, I have found Home depot to be the best place for new bolts.

Unfortunetly I have spare bolts but not here with me. i wont have access to them untill this coming weekend
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Thanks, if I can't get this figured out, I'll just pull the one I have and take it to Home Depot to see if they can match it up.

Many days, I wish there was a pick-n-pull place nearby this would be so easy to pull from a yard. The only place near home doesn't normally let you in the yard, and they're closed by the time I can get to it. There's a yard in Lansing, but I have to check their hours. Figure'd it'd be easiest if someone know the number/size off-hand.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I failed at search but looking at "similar threads" at the bottom of the page, it looks like it might be 8mm x 1.25, guessing the last number is length, as one of the threads asks if 1 1/4" is the right length?

This would point to some standard pitch, does that sound right?

And I'm guessing with the low torque spec, that grade is not an issue?

This is the thread, can anyone confirm?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54915

Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The metric system specifies fasteners by diameter and pitch. The 8X1.25 would be read as an 8mm diameter and a 1.25 pitch. Stick a toothpick in teh hole and get then next shorter stock size. Look on the head of any other cover bolt for numbers like 4.6, 4.8, 5.8, 8.8, 9.8, or 10.8 those are all of the credible grade marks.

This shows the stock lengths of a 8X1.25 metric bolt.
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=20&cd=1252

look at one of the existing bolts and see if it is threaded all the way to the head. Buy a match. The page I pointed at above are not tap bolts(not fill thread).
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Last time I needed some metric bolts for a car I found them in packs in a rack at AdvanceAutoParts.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Any decent ACE hardware store has them also, even 8.8, 9.8 and sometimes 10.8 grade.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Thanks, I got over my lazy-assedness tonight and pulled out the one center bolt I have. According to my clear plastic ruler and a magnifying glass, it's an M5x1.0x30 bolt. 5mm diameter, 1mm between threads, 30mm length.

Markings on the end consisted of what looks like a boat-anchor under the numbers 8.6.

Seeing OldNuc's post, I probably had it upside down and it's a 9.8 grade bolt

Thanks again! I'll try my FLAPS on the way home (Advance Auto)

Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I was wrong, it's an M6x1.0x30 bolt, in case someone finds this thread in the future.

Apparently, my little clear plastic ruler isn't a precision instrument