SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Three Clicks and a Very Slow Crank.

Hey guys,

Today was one of the coldest days where I live as Im sure it is for many of you but the Saturn did something strange today and I dont know weather to blame a possible tired battery or starter. The car after work made three clicks from the starter solenoid and then turned over very slowly which is what I expected with the wind and the cold, My question is why did the starter solenoid click like that? My battery this spring will be 5 years old and I know 5 years is the limit on a Battery here in the north, I just want to make sure im not going to get stranded because of a starter problem, The Battery I can handle...
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Three Clicks and a Very Slow Crank.

If you were holding the key in crank and it clicked 3 times you have 2 choices, #1-Battery is done, or #2-Starter is done. The battery can be load tested and if it is not in pristine condition then pick #1. If in doubt then pick #1 and #2.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1009-n...02-satrun.aspx
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you were holding the key in crank and it clicked 3 times you have 2 choices, #1-Battery is done, or #2-Starter is done. The battery can be load tested and if it is not in pristine condition then pick #1. If in doubt then pick #1 and #2.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1009-n...02-satrun.aspx
I was holding the key in the crank position when this occurred, And this is the car that gave me that U code 1 month ago, I wrote you about, The Battery this April will be 5 years old, I bought the Battery in April 2010 so im sure by now its not in perfect condition.....

CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

You have a third choice here, bad connections at the big cables, both power and ground, for the battery. I think most likely is a tired battery, though.

Oh, yeah, a fourth choice... poor charging system. Do you have a voltmeter? A few tests could help you avoid "throwing parts at it".
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
I was holding the key in the crank position when this occurred, And this is the car that gave me that U code 1 month ago, I wrote you about, The Battery this April will be 5 years old, I bought the Battery in April 2010 so im sure by now its not in perfect condition.....
The U code is a communications failure on system start. How cold was it/ Not the useless chill factor but actual temperature.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

A new fully charged battery has only ~70% of its advertised capacity at 10F.

See this post.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=40
Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The U code is a communications failure on system start. How cold was it/ Not the useless chill factor but actual temperature.
I would say between 23-27 degrees is when that U code showed up and it wasn't a SES light at the time it was stored as a pending code so the incident must have occurred one time and no more there after, I cleared it and it didn't return, I didn't check for pending codes today at all after this incident, The battery cables are clean and tight, im very fussy about that and the Alternator reads 14.57 when idling in park, I replaced the alternator when I first got the car with a USED low mileage OEM one as the rear bearing in the original alternator failed and got noisy.

CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As I said the battery is shot. Replace it now.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #9
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Do you recommend any decent brands for the Saturns for a reliable replacement?

CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I have been buying the AGM batteries for years and they are all I use. The high end Duralast has a decent reputation though in a conventional battery. As there are 3 major battery manufacturers that all build to anybodies specifications I don't pay that much attention to the name. Beware that sky high cold crank number batteries will have a short service life. You have to compare the rest of the battery ratings to be able to spot the high CCA rated battery. The CCA will be about 10% above the nominal average. You find these in the Walmart/SAMs/Costco house brand batteries. I am not a fan of the generic Interstate batteries either but they do have AGM batteries now at the same price point as everyone else.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

AutoZone GOLD, or the Walmart GOLD series have lasted me the longest. Both have high CCAs. The Autozone has been in there 2 years on an 8 (yes, 8 year warranty). just got it before all the manufacturers and retailers cut back to their now 5 yr standard warranty.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #12
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Do you have a website or online place that sells those batteries so I can look? I bought both of my batteries the same time for both cars at the GM garage, There ac delco oem brand....

CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Any group 75 AGM battery ought to suffice. If you're not in a hurry, there's:

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-8022-09.../dp/B006QH56GO

If you can find a local shop that sells the Deka 775MF, that should run about $110-125 and provide you with a nice high quality AGM battery as well.

Best,
---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

Last edited by VUEmaniac; 01-08-2015 at 10:30 AM.
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ are you sure that Amazon actually honors an Optima battery warranty (or any battery)?
I think you will find that Amazon will not take back any batteries.

The thing comes with only a 3yr warranty which is really short (possibly the mfr can't be bothered by extending it to a more reasonable 5 years), or maybe they don't think their product can make it to 5 years.

I would not want to be stuck with one I can't get a warrantied replacement for.

There are walmarts all over where I can get a no-hassle replacement.

Last edited by toggenburg; 01-10-2015 at 12:58 PM.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:30 PM   #15
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I ended up replacing the Battery with an AC Delco Professional Silver Series, The battery was $75 dollars at garage price at my Dealer, The old Battery failed the load test according to advanced auto parts when I brought them it, Not sure if I believe them but as I said the Battery was going on 5 years old and here in PA 5 years on a Battery is considered good. Im just happy it didn't leave me stranded and it started the car barely that day.

CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
^^ are you sure that Amazon actually honors an Optima battery warranty (or any battery)?

I think you will find that Amazon will not take back any batteries.
Amazon doesn't and (per reports from frustrated Amazon reviewers) Optima refuses to honor the three-year warranty as soon as it hears the battery was bought from Amazon. There have been issues with batteries being damaged in transit since Amazon's packaging for shipping is rather flimsy. Not accepting returns or honoring warranties is how Amazon can offer a Red Top for $129 while other mail-order outfits like BSC charge just under $160 and the over-the-counter retail price is around $200-$220.

The main problem with ordering a fancy AGM battery by mail is the possibility of having to wait for a shipment to come in. This has happened to me with a Red Top I ordered from BSC; I lodged the order around December 21, was told on December 22 that a shipment would come in within two weeks, and have now been told (January 8) that the shipment was delayed an additional week because of the holidays, so my battery should hit my doorstep late next week. Aside from the longer-than-expected wait, I have no complaints about BSC, whose customer service has been flawless.

The Duralast Gold is a favorite on here, but not cheap. Consumer Reports likes the EverStart Maxx 75S from Walmart, and it has a CCA rating that tends to imply long life, but with Walmart you have the problem of dodging Exide lead-antimony batteries, and there have been just enough complaints on the Web about short-lived specimens of this battery that I am not willing to repose total faith in Consumer Reports' testing (which is never described in comprehensive detail and which I suspect consists of a bench test of just one store-bought sample). Plus even this part of Kansas, which sees summer temperatures go over 100 F on a regular basis, is not part of Walmart's sales region for South-spec batteries, and I don't feel like taking a chance on an untested EverStart Maxx 75N.
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
I am not willing to repose total faith in Consumer Reports' testing (which is never described in comprehensive detail and which I suspect consists of a bench test of just one store-bought sample).
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/v...01/1312371519/
Maybe you've already seen it but it looks like they pick 1 sample from each brand for a spec rating then give each one a score on each test. Not the most scientific way, but I'm pretty sure they have to actually purchase everything they review so it's probably not feasible to test 10's of each brand.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #18
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I don't think Id ever buy a Battery online just for the fact of warranty purposes, shipping it and if it gets turned upside down by accident all the corrosive acid would be all over, Batteries at least for me are a local only purchase, It seems buying a battery online would be more aggravation then having a dead one in the car....

CHECK YOUR OIL!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Consumer Reports is good bathroom reading but just about useless to use for purchasing decisions.