SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 AM   #1
rayban776
rayban776 is on a distinguished road

Default Idler pulley noise

After I inherited my Saturn SL1 from my mom, I noticed a weird noise under the hood which I found to be the idler tensioner. I changed it but it still seemed to make some noise and has gradually made more noise. It is very annoying although it goes away when when giving it gas and it seems like once the car has been driving for a while, it gets quiet again. I'm wondering if this is something that is kinda normal with these cars or if I need to replace this one. This was one I got from Rockauto but maybe it's a cheapo bad one.
rayban776 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2015, 03:10 AM   #2
BLKSATSC2
BLKSATSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSATSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSATSC2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
Default Re: Idler pulley noise

Is the belt shiny on the smooth back side? Maybe it needs replaced. I have had Saturns chirp, due to a belt worn.
2002 SC2
2002 Regal 3800
2000 Dakota RT 5.9L
2000 Grand Prix GT 3800
1995 Del Sol V-tec
1992 VW Cabriolet
BLKSATSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 AM   #3
rayban776

Actually I replaced the belt when I replaced the pulley. This was about a year ago, maybe 10k miles.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

replace the tensioner and while in there check the alternator and water pump. PS pump too.
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Did you replace the tensioner, the pulley on the tensioner, or the idler pulley?

Any of the above can cause noise. On my car (original owners) we had the idler bolt back out slightly and cause a rattle that could be heard at a certain point in the warm up cycle. I took it off, and the bearing was fine. Bolted it back up, and that original pulley/bearing is still doing fine on the car.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Since it has been a year/10K miles since the belt and tensioner were changed, it is quite possible this new noise is from something else. Pop the belt off and start checking things again.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
rayban776

I just noticed my post was a tad confusing. I was the belt Tensioner I replaced. If I put a screw driver on the middle of it, the noise goes away. Hate to spend another $50 is it's just going to come back again and doesn't really cause a problem. This is purely a beater car I'm milking out a couple more years.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

" If I put a screw driver on the middle of it, the noise goes away."

Explain more about what you are doing there to make the noise go away.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
rayban776

Just take a long screw drive and kinda press on the middle of the pulley. But this is totally weird. I think it's something else now. All I did was grab the right head light adjuster that is shaking around and the noise went away. Amazing how loud it seems to travel thru the car.

The tensioner seems fine, I had just assumed it was the same thing. I'll have to keep an eye on it