SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
Default belt/pulley noise

About 4 months ago, I put on a new OEM serp. belt. Spun the pulleys while the belt was off and didn't hear any particular noise. I don't specifically recall spinning the PS pulley, tho.

Recently, it seems like there is a slight increase in the normal noise from the belt&pulleys.

My two areas of concern are the tensioner (but the belt is tight) just because I'm at 60K, and the PowerSteering pump&pulley. The PS fluid is original. The fluid looks dark in the reservoir, but when I pull some out it does not look very dark at all. I was eventually going to find a turkey baster & some new fluid and change it. I've got a big list of maintenance stuff to do, maybe I should move that one up. (can't fine a baster, tho, LOL)

It seems to me that the PowerSteering pump is the likely source of a louder belt noise.

Hmm...I did recently accidentally turn the wheel hard all the way to one side recently -- something I always try hard NOT to do.

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: belt/pulley noise

If you can't find a turkey baster, you might be able to find a plastic condiment dispenser (AKA diner style ketchup squirter). I had a wax dispenser and with a piece of hose on the tip it will not only pull more fluid per cycle than most turkey basters, but the hose can get into the corner of the resevoir really well too.

In my experience, most PS unit make more noise if they are too cold, but it's worth a shot.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Turkey baster ====> Dollar Store.

(Y'might want to dedicate it to this purpose..... )
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Turkey baster ====> Dollar Store.

(Y'might want to dedicate it to this purpose..... )
Agree 100%.

I would HATE to get some possible turkey drippings in my PS pump!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Brad_bb
Brad_bb will become famous soon enough

1996 SC2

It can be a little tricky to find a squeek. A stechescope tool that has a metal probe on the end helps to isolate sounds. You put it up to a NON-moving component and listen.
I have a small squeek now coming from the belt area that changes with engine speed. I had a low coolant warning 2 nights ago that I had to top off the coolant. It was about the same time the squeek started. I now realize that it's probably the water pump bearing going out (seal has broken down and coolant is getting in the bearing and some is leaking out slowly so far). There's no noticeable puddle on the ground, but I'm sure it's been slowly leaking here and there. It's also been around 100K since I installed the last pump, so It's about due. My point is, it's about paying attension to the signs. Well I'm off to go buy a new pump this morning....
If someone else can design it, I can sure figure out how to fix it.
Brad_bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

Melissa, I'm not going to help help here. Sorry. I just want to ask a question. At 60K, why are you worried about the tensioner, or anything else for that matter? I'm not saying you don't have a problem, just wondering why 60 thousand miles worries you.

I'm asking because I've had 3 cars. One went to 160,000 when the differential pin flew out. The second went to 200,000 when the rear end collision at a stop light put it out. Now the third is at 152,000. I have never had to replace anything on the side of any of these engines (knock on wood). Damn, I think I just screwed myself.
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon1100 View Post
Melissa, I'm not going to help help here. Sorry. I just want to ask a question. At 60K, why are you worried about the tensioner, or anything else for that matter? I'm not saying you don't have a problem, just wondering why 60 thousand miles worries you.

I'm asking because I've had 3 cars. One went to 160,000 when the differential pin flew out. The second went to 200,000 when the rear end collision at a stop light put it out. Now the third is at 152,000. I have never had to replace anything on the side of any of these engines (knock on wood). Damn, I think I just screwed myself.
Well, in reality, I just want to be prepared.
From my reading around here, 70K is a common life-span of a tensioner. (maybe I misunderstand, perhaps that is for aftermarket, not OEM??). Plus, the car is a '99. So for some aspects, the mileage is for sure quite low. But after 10 years, I can see where stuff like the fluids are in need of attention. (I like the tip for other removal methods - I haven't found a cheap turkey baster yet.)

Yeah, I try not to make comments like your next to last one. Knock on plastic (gently!)

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Melissa_M
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

I changed my Power Steering fluid. That was illuminating because the fluid has been pretty dark as long as I remember. I thought that was normal (hey, how else can you see the level on the reservoir??) . After 2 fluid changes, itís almost clear (crap, how do you see the level with clear fluid???).

I have checked my alternator with my trusty multimeter and it is fine.

But the slight increase in noise remains. Just sounds like normal belt/pulley noise, only a wee bit (~10%) louder.

What else could it be?

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K