SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Matt95SL1
Matt95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Aftermarket Driving Lights, Wiring ?'s

I do a lot of night time driving and recently installed a set of Pilot driving lights that came with a harness/switch/etc. So I installed them and they work great but they are hardwired to the switch so basically they are on a circuit completely separate from the rest of the lights. I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before I forget to turn them off before exiting my car. My question is how would I go about wiring them up so that they turn off when the car turns off? I know that I would need to tap into one of the ignition wires but I'm not sure on the specifics. I guess the other possibility would be to use a relay and wire them up to the low beam headlights so they only turn on when the headlights are on but I would like to be able to use them without the headlights too. Anyone have any insight on implementing either of these circuits?
Matt95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: Aftermarket Driving Lights, Wiring ?'s

I assume the driving lights wrent wired up using a relay. So pick yourself up a Bosch style automotive relay and wire it us as follows.

Terminal:
87- To 12v+ ignition source
86- 12v+ coming from parking lights (Tan wire at the bulb connector)
30- 12v+ from the battery
85- From switch. ( connect one side of the switch to ground, the other to terminal 85 of the relay.)

There are other configuration of how to wire this too.

-On/Off with ignition
-On/Off with parking/headlights
-On/Off with ignition still controlled through a switch
-On/Off with parking/headlights still controlled through a switch.

Or how I did mine, fully functional like factory fog lamps. Using the factory switch.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #3
THE OUTLAW CODY
THE OUTLAW CODY is on a distinguished road

i did mine the same as low saturn, but i didnt wire in a switch. mine come on with the parking lights. you will want to use a relay when installing fog lights.
THE OUTLAW CODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

Mine are also hooked up the same as Cody's. Except that I also have a remote to turn them on and off with if I want them on without having to walk back to the car to shut them off.
Relays are your friends. Use them.
Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Use a relay to the parking lights, so when the relay is triggered by the lights, it grounds the driving lights. Tap that ground wire, put in a switch, and ground it. Then, when the relay is on it will turn on the lights. If you don't have your parking lights on, you can switch on the switch to turn on the driving lights.
If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Matt95SL1

1995 SL1

Thanks for the replies. I did a quick search of some autoparts stores and found this. Will this relay work for my application?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt95SL1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did a quick search of some autoparts stores and found this. Will this relay work for my application?
Yep, that'll do. I usually get mine from Parts Express. I'll get 20 or so at a time.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Matt95SL1

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I assume the driving lights wrent wired up using a relay. So pick yourself up a Bosch style automotive relay and wire it us as follows.

Terminal:
87- To 12v+ ignition source
86- 12v+ coming from parking lights (Tan wire at the bulb connector)
85- From switch. ( connect one side of the switch to ground, the other to terminal 85 of the relay.)

There are other configuration of how to wire this too.

-On/Off with ignition
-On/Off with parking/headlights
-On/Off with ignition still controlled through a switch
-On/Off with parking/headlights still controlled through a switch.

Or how I did mine, fully functional like factory fog lamps. Using the factory switch.
I finally got around to installing the relay today but I can't seem to get the driving lights to turn on. The relay is wired up exactly as you listed above and works as expected. If the ignition is in the "on" position and the parking lights are "on" it sends a 12v signal through terminal 85. If one or both of the aforementioned conditions aren't met it doesn't send power through terminal 85. Now the part that has me confused. My switch has 3 terminals:
1. Red - 12V from Battery
2. White - 12v to Lights
3. Black - Ground
I connected terminal 85 on the relay to the Red wire going to the switch. When I turn on the ignition and parking lights I get 12V at the switch but when I turn the switch to the "on" position the relay clicks off and I no longer have power going to the switch. Next, I tried to bypass the switch completely by connecting the White wire coming from the driving lights to terminal 85. This resulted in the same behavior, the relay would click off as soon as I made the connection when the ignition and parking lights were "on". Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Matt95SL1

1995 SL1

I got it working but I ended up wiring the relay a little differently.
Relay:
87- From + side of switch
86- 12v+ coming from parking lights
85- Ground

Switch:
Red: 12v from relay
White: 12v to lights
Black: Ground

It looks like the problem was that the relay wasn't grounded, either terminal 85 or 86 needs to be grounded for it to work. The above layout lets me control the driving lights with the switch but only allows them to be on with the parking lights. I could also control it through the ignition instead if I were to change terminal 86 from the 12v parking lights to a 12v ignition source. Thanks to all who posted help.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
joeypoprocks
joeypoprocks is on a distinguished road

Can you post a picture of the exact place that you are drawing power from the tail lights please, Im trying to do this exact wiring setup but I can figure out what wire I need

Edit: Sorry for bumping this, I didnt realize how old it was.
joeypoprocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
hein
Advanced Member
hein will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

The diagram below should help. If you feed the relay coil (terminal 86) with the + side of the nearest parking light, then your driving lights will only come on when the parking lights are on. And go off when they go off.

It makes sense to mount your relay near the front drivers side of the vehicle. That reduces the length of your load side since it's right there by the fuse box.

So just tap into the + wire running to the front driver's side clearance light and run that to your dash switch and then back out to the relay. Then get the load side (terminal 30) from the main terminal on the fuse box.

hein is offline   Reply With Quote