SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 05-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
My 2003 L200
My 2003 L200 is on a distinguished road

Default What is causing the heater hose to come loose on my 2003 L-200?

Searching the internet for answers I stumbled upon this site.

The hose that goes from the firewall to the intake manifold comes loose from the quick connect on the firewall end, I pushed it back in and it lasts for a couple of weeks of commuting and it pops out again (repeat). Now, the thermostat side has come loose from the firewall, is it just worn hoses/connectors or could it be the thermostat?

Thank You!
My 2003 L200 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: What is causing the heater hose to come loose on my 2003 L-200?

When each hose came off and reconnected, did you try pulling the hose off to ensure each remained connected? A locking tab at 6 o'clock position is depressed to release these quick couplers, sliding a (white) collar before the hose is removed. If reconnected without the locking tab locked into position, the coupler may blow off from normal coolant under pressure. There's an internal O-ring in each coupler for sealing that may cause some interference from completing a coupling without locking properly.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
My 2003 L200

what I assumed, thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #4
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: What is causing the heater hose to come loose on my 200 ?

hi sages- its the old profit enhancer secret trick. had the same issue 3 years ago . shyster wanted $300 to replace the factory hose and the "innovative" clamp. i was non plussed by the offer. noticed the other end of hose had a ring gear clamp . these have been around and worked for 30 years. bought new length of hose and a 2d ring gear clamp , cut, S curved the hose and installed . no leaks and still working fine. cost $4. 71. what think? remember there are many out there who will pat you on the back with one hand and pick your pocket with the other and it can happen to you. would bet the money i saved($295) some of you think i have a bad attitude. hope you give me credit for a good sense of humor though. thanks tons bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
My 2003 L200

Default Re: What is causing the heater hose to come loose on my 200 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
hi sages- its the old profit enhancer secret trick. had the same issue 3 years ago . shyster wanted $300 to replace the factory hose and the "innovative" clamp. i was non plussed by the offer. noticed the other end of hose had a ring gear clamp . these have been around and worked for 30 years. bought new length of hose and a 2d ring gear clamp , cut, S curved the hose and installed . no leaks and still working fine. cost $4. 71. what think? remember there are many out there who will pat you on the back with one hand and pick your pocket with the other and it can happen to you. would bet the money i saved($295) some of you think i have a bad attitude. hope you give me credit for a good sense of humor though. thanks tons bob f
That's what I decided to do, thanks. I wont be taken by shysters, I'm pretty handy around a car, just wanted to know if it could be anything but the fitting, my question has been answered, Thank You!
Old 05-12-2021, 03:49 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

FWIW, I was never able to remove the quick connect ends of the heater hoses correctly - no matter how hard I tried. OEM quick connect heater hoses were purchased at the hose replacement service for 100K miles. For the next two hose replacement services I switched to aftermarket, molded replacement heater hoses using the band clamps at both ends. It made replacing those hoses simpler and less expensive. There have been no problems with leaks.
350K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. I fear that I will be correct. I'd rather be wrong.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi pierrot and my2003- you bad boys were smart refiguring that repair and defeating shysters. wonder if the engineer who designed that "innovative" clamp received his justly deserved rotten tomato trophy. isnt it a good thing when bad guys get theirs? i know, i know my attitude is malodorous. regards bob f
Old 05-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't think it has anything to do with 'shysters'. It's all about manufacturing. In the assembly process, all the worker has to do is push and click. In times earlier, the worker has to push and clamp. That took much longer. Same with all the electrical connectors. PITA to separate, but easy peasy to push and click back together again.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
rfisher

hi floridas- youre right. shysters were the ones who wanted to soak me $300 to replace the heater hoses. clearly though that is a poor and unreliable design since it leaks from the snap in fitting. its only redeeming quality is its a fast assembly on the line. that doesnt help when youre on thunder road and it starts leaking. thanks tons bob f