saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance

Old 07-17-2005, 09:52 PM   #1
getz999
getz999 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2001 SC2
Default Painted Calipers...NICE!

Got out and painted my calipers today, what do you think?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2031533/2
The paint matches the interior and engine bay...I think it looks very nice since its contrasted by the black.

Check out the rest of my cardomain page too and tell me what ya think.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default Re: Painted Calipers...NICE!

Decent! It matches the interior neons and accents but you need some farther away shots of the painted calipers and the rims. Hard to get a feel for the whole car with the painted calipers when all you see is the wheel well. On your site you say you're working on painting your cam cover. How's that working out? I followed Low_Saturn's advice and I just painted mine red this week and I think it looks awesome. The primer and the clear coat that I used both said not to put them on anything that gets to 200+ F but it seems to be holding up pretty nice. I used High temp 500 degree engine paint for the red color coat. I'd post pics but I have the crappiest digital camera ever put on the market.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
getz999

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

Actually, I just went ahead and ordered one from him. I was gonna do it myself, but decided not to. Why? Cuz his are 100000times better than anything I could do. Haha...I was just gonna use some High Temp engine enamel for mine, it would of been very flat but also woulda matched. I gotta look at one of his blue ones on TSN...and it was veryyyyy sexy. Its a metallic blue, so it kinda shimmers!

And I agree...I need pics from far away..its just that I did the whole thing in the blazin sun and was beat. I also forgot to take REAL before pics (the before pics on the site dont show the caliper itself very well) But rest assured, I will take some far away pics.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

That blue metallic looks really nice. I think you'll like yours once its on the car.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I love the Black and Blue look, but I can't say that I would have done blue on that car. I have a gold car and ended up just painting the calipers black. I didn't want the stigma that comes with bright colors on an otherwise conservitively painted car. Be careful with that color.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I dig it. Looks nice.

--Tom
Not a Saturn.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
jegster
jegster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

They look nice. What brand of paint did you use for the calipers?
Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jegstersl2
Old 07-18-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
getz999

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

Quote:
Be careful with that color
I couldnt agree more, most people tend to get carried away with painting there car with bright accents...and it comes off very cheesy. I was gonna do my drums as well, but I figured it would be too much blue.

Quote:
They look nice. What brand of paint did you use for the calipers?
Dupli Color makes a kit specifically for caliper/drum painting. It included a degreeser in a spraycan, the paint (which you painted on with the included brush), and a mixing stick for the paint. The only problem I had with the paint, was it developed a layer of skin very quickly. I guess it was due to the heat. But I'm very satisfied. It rained on my way home yesterday, and the paint didnt run at all even though it had only been finished for a few hours.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz999
Dupli Color makes a kit specifically for caliper/drum painting. It included a degreeser in a spraycan, the paint (which you painted on with the included brush), and a mixing stick for the paint. The only problem I had with the paint, was it developed a layer of skin very quickly. I guess it was due to the heat. But I'm very satisfied. It rained on my way home yesterday, and the paint didnt run at all even though it had only been finished for a few hours.

I used that on my calipers. I must of put ten coats on the front and rear calipers and brackets.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
getz999

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

Nice...
I only put on 3 coats...we'll see how that holds up in the months to come!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
lilcraigford
lilcraigford is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I'm looking at doing that in coordination with my 4-wheel disc conversion, I think I'm just going to do mine up in a nice gloss black. Red would be cool I suppose, but it just doesn't seem to fit the car.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #12
jegster
jegster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz999
Dupli Color makes a kit specifically for caliper/drum painting.
Thanks for the info on what you used. I've been debating on whether I want to use the Duplicolor or the G2 caliper paint. I've heard lot's of good stuff about the G2 so i have been leaning more towards that.

I'm going to do mine in blue to match my blue car but I think I will do the calipers themselves in blue and caliper brackets in black. Kind of a 2 tone effect.
Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jegstersl2
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #13
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcraigford
I'm looking at doing that in coordination with my 4-wheel disc conversion, I think I'm just going to do mine up in a nice gloss black. Red would be cool I suppose, but it just doesn't seem to fit the car.
I painted mine (black) and swapped to SS lines when I did my conversion. I figured as long as I had the system apart might as well do it all since I'm going to have to bleed the brakes. It was a good thing to because in tearing into the front caliper I found that heavy braking had turned the caliper grease in my front driverside unit into a caked waxy substance.

I bought my lines from tirerack, they had them for $135, if I remember right.