SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
glueguy
glueguy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default 96 SL2 headliner removal - how does it come out of the car?

I need to redo the headliner on my non-sunroof 96 SL2. I was at the pull-a-part today for some other stuff, and looked at the Saturns. One already had the dome light and visors removed, so I removed the handles and unsnapped the trim. Headliner just drops right down. Reclined the seats and then could not figure out how to get it out of the car. Finally had it break in the center as I was wrestling with it trying to get it out of the passenger door. Don't worry - it was junk already. The fabric had about 50 thumbtacks holding it in place

Can someone provide some guidance on this last critical step? Does a helper, well, help for this step?

Also, I didn't have a huge Torx for the seatbelts on the B-pillar. Is it easier to remove these to get the B-pillar trim more out of the way?

Underneath the fabric is the foam that deteriorates and crumbles? This is what I need to clean off? It was pretty much just raining down on me and turning to dust when I would touch it.

Thanks!
glueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: 96 SL2 headliner removal - how does it come out of the car?

Forum jump at bottom of your page is your friend, as is the Search function.

The easiest way I have read to the get the headliner out of the car is through one of the back doors. I know it may be overkill, but removing the seats (Driver/Passenger) may not be a bad idea to do, just so it's one less thing out of the way.

You can use a wire brush to clean up the headliner. Then use spray adhesive (3M 90 ) and headliner fabric from Jo-Ann Fabrics (Yes they DO sell it, but you will have to go to the store to get it...they will probably tell you on the phone they don't, but it's there.) Refinished Headliner and you are done.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

I got mine out by reclining the front two buckets backward all the way then simply tilted the headliner down, towards the shift lever, etc., then slide it out through the front passenger side. It would be easier to have someone help you steady the headliner, so you don't break it in the middle but I did mine all alone. No problem but easier with help. And yes, taking the B-pillar trim/belts off is helpful, in fact, I had to on my 97 to make it doable. And yes, make sure you take off ALL of that crumbly foam that's on your old headboard, otherwise, the new glue/material won't stay up very long.

Plenty of posts on this forum on that process. Do a simple search and you'll find posts with videos and/or photos showing the whole process. Good luck. (And there is also a post on replacing the material on the visors, if you're interested.)
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
glueguy
glueguy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Thanks, I had searched. Didn't watch the video, but I didn't see a lot of detail on getting it out of the car. The rear door openings are smaller than the front. When I do this for real I'll take the seats out, but it sure didn't feel like it wanted to come out even the passenger front door.
glueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by glueguy View Post
Thanks, I had searched. Didn't watch the video, but I didn't see a lot of detail on getting it out of the car. The rear door openings are smaller than the front. When I do this for real I'll take the seats out, but it sure didn't feel like it wanted to come out even the passenger front door.
I don't see why the 96 should be any different from a 97. Maybe you can move the steering wheel, further out of the way, move the shift lever the furthest forward, etc. It'll come out without taking the seats out. Taking the seats out is a lot of unnecessary work. When you are ready to remove the headliner, just move it a little to the rear then point it down, toward the shift lever, etc. and slide it out the front passenger side. Should be no problem.
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Watch the video. It also talks about getting it in/out without kinking, creasing or breaking.
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote