SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 03-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
CCMikell
CCMikell is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 saturn ion automatic transmission

I have a 2007 saturn ion. We have changed all the spark plugs and coil packs, but it is still throwing a code for spark #2. And it is now trying to stall out in park. Can someone please help me out with any idea as to what could be wrong?. Also it is an automatic...
CCMikell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #2
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1
Default Re: 2006 saturn ion automatic transmission

When you get a single cylinder code, it's good to just move existing parts from one cylinder to another to see if the problem follows the location change. That way you aren't buying stuff you might not need.

Assuming that the parts you got are not defective, it may be a wiring issue upstream of the coil pack.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If I'm not mistaken, your coil pack has the ignition control module off to one side. The ICM may be faulty. Tried a compression test to be sure cyl #2 is fine? Compression should be around 185psi. Autozone has a free tool loan program.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
CCMikell

Sorry, it's the #1 cylinder. Also I need to add that it only has 30,000 miles on it and only jerks/hiccups after being driven for 30 minutes or so. We habe moved parts around. It's not leaking any fluid anywhere.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Troubleshooting remains the same. A compression test on cyl#1 can assess mechanical health. The icm may or may not be tested at AutoZone (call ahead first), swapped with a known good one or replaced. 2.2L engines have icm issues as they sit on top of a hot engine and prone to fail. Coil packs tend to hold up better. You can check other forums here or elsewhere as GM uses the 2.2L engine in many models.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
CCMikell

Thank you ffryer. We do have coil packs. We will do a compression test. Do you think it could be the injection valve? We can't find it to check it...
Old 03-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
CCMikell

Never mind that last post... I'm just a girl trying to fix my car. I did however find the evap, and I'm going to check it tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
CCMikell

Also auto zone is going to check the psi tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
CCMikell

Compression test was good. Also checked for leaks around the spark plugs and they seen to be fine. Any other ideas are very much appreciated!
Old 03-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not sure if I described Ion ignition systems. Go to rockauto.com and find ignition system parts. You'll see two items, the ignition coil pack and ignition control module. The icm sits to one side of the coil pack with a multiple pin connector to the main wiring harness. Did you replace the icm and coil pack together or just the coil pack?

If you search past threads here related to 2.2L engines, used in several GM/Saturn models, you'll find more icm failures than coil packs.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
CCMikell

Thank you I will check that this week. I really appreciate you helping me out.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
CCMikell

The plug has been checked and looks to be in good condition. Can anyone help me any further?
The car runs great for a while. And suddenly it's idling a little rough and pops when you press the gas. It seems like it's building up emissions and suddenly it releases them and starts running fine again for a while. The check engine light comes on and goes back off.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #13
CCMikell

It really acts up during stop and go traffic.
PLEASE HELP!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:44 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is/are error code(s) still pointing to cylinder#1 or are there other error codes? This is important in continuing with troubleshooting. Be sure by retrieving recent error codes. Emissions related error codes, presumed here, usually remain as long as the engine indicator remains on. Once the indicator resets/turns off on its own, the error code goes away - on board (self) diagnostics automatically detect errors, turns on the check engine light, detects correct repairs then delete error code(s). In your case with an intermittent check engine (CEL) light turning on/off, pulling the error code(s) may be tricky as you have to decode the stored error(s) as soon as the cel turns on, preferably without turning off the engine. Some errors will remain after turning off the engine but if the cel turns off on the next startup, the error code(s) is/are lost before a reader is connected. Turning on ignition without starting with the cel on means the error code remain in memory. Readers can be connected with the engine on or off to retrieve stored codes.

If P0301 cylinder#1 misfire doesn't reappear and a different error code appears, maybe the error is related to the catalytic converter. One method to troubleshooting a damaged catcon would be removing the upstream (closest to the engine) O2 sensor to allow an alternate exhaust path before the catcon. The exhaust will be loud and a temporary soup can diverter may be needed to divert hot exhaust gases away from nearby plastic. You'll have to loosen and remove the O2 sensor before driving (all exhaust connections tend to seize, preventing removal - anti seize compound is heat resistant and prevents heated parts from seizing) then drive. Or loosen the sensor then drive until the engine acts up, remove the sensor and drive. If engine power suddenly returns, a damaged catcon may be blocking exhaust flow. Below is the catcon with two O2 sensor threaded mounting holes. The one closest to the engine, upstream of the catcon should be removed for testing. Catcons disintegrate internally for no rhyme or reason. Loose cat guts can sometimes be heard as marbles with the engine running or tapped (hard) to detect loose guts. Catcons are made as solid, porous ceramic substrates containing platinum. The swiss cheese holes allows unrestricted flow while exposing exhaust gases to platinum for reaction. An error code will be generated when disconnecting the O2 sensor wiring. Ignore it for testing. Once testing is done, putting the sensor back in and connecting to wiring should reset the error code related to the O2 sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bosal catalytic converter.jpg (35.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
CCMikell

We will check it this weekend! I truly appreciate all of your help! I want to be able to send my son back to college with this car and not worry about him breaking down.