SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
hoppy
hoppy is on a distinguished road

Default what a piece of JUNK!!!

Not only do I have flickering dash lights and dimming headlights (SEVERE dimming,) but NOW i have a creaking drivers seat. This car is complete junk. Buy ANYTHING else. Christ! a KIA has to be better than this piece of &$^*%$. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT!!!!! BUY ONE. THIS IS NOT THE SAME SATURN CORP. This is our 6th Saturn and I will do everything in my power to warn other potential buyers. If you HAVE to buy Saturn at least buy the 2004 VUE V6 because it has a HONDA ENGINE!!! The rest of the car may fall apart buy=t at least you can count on the engine and transimission (also HONDA) to stay together. So sad to see this company drop to this level.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2004, 03:41 AM   #2
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

I think you're preaching on the wrong site, man.

Matt
If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's
Old 03-21-2004, 03:47 AM   #3
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

Do yourself a favor hoppy, move on and move it out of saturnfans - as you are clearly not a fan
Old 03-21-2004, 05:00 AM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Exactly, as I said last week.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 03-21-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Bashing Saturns on a site called "SaturnFans" is probably not an effective way to get your message across.

Saturns are not perfect and no one on this board will contend such. However, anyone on this board is here because they like their Saturns for what they are.

As saturnfreak said, pack it up. You will not find a receptive audience here.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
hoppy

Looks like I got a little carried away, but it is still legitimate criticism of my 2004 L300. This is no longer the same company it once was.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Criticism is one thing, those of us on this board who have issues are usually able to discuss them in a calm & mature manner, if your really having this many problems, perhaps you would benefit from reading the following thread and going through the process.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=25802
- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin
Old 03-21-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
2k3L300HID
2k3L300HID is on a distinguished road

haha your car is creaking. ROTFL..
haha your lights are dimming..
Maybe the lights will go out on you all together.

Go to one of the many honda fan clubs and tell them why you like their engine in the Saturn Vue and why they should buy one.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
orenero
orenero is on a distinguished road

Default Re: what a piece of JUNK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy
Not only do I have flickering dash lights and dimming headlights (SEVERE dimming,) but NOW i have a creaking drivers seat. This car is complete junk. Buy ANYTHING else. Christ! a KIA has to be better than this piece of &$^*%$. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT!!!!! BUY ONE. THIS IS NOT THE SAME SATURN CORP. This is our 6th Saturn and I will do everything in my power to warn other potential buyers. If you HAVE to buy Saturn at least buy the 2004 VUE V6 because it has a HONDA ENGINE!!! The rest of the car may fall apart buy=t at least you can count on the engine and transimission (also HONDA) to stay together. So sad to see this company drop to this level.
I find it funny that none of your arguments point to buying a HONDA engine as you have had no engine problems mentioned in this post but just other small thing such as your creeking and flickering lights. I don't think that justifies a car being classified as junk. All cars even Acura's new TSX and mercedes have some sort of creeking no body is perfect. Like Hal 2000 said best, "Why don't you take a stress pill, and calm down."
Old 03-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #10
hoppy

Actually, the driver's seat is creaking and the car only has 8000 miles on it. I guess some people find that acceptable, however I find it laughable. I can understand why nobody wants to buy an L series and why the resale value is in the toilet. In the first 8000 miles this car has more issues than my sl2 did in its first 135k. If GM can't even get the seat right how do you think they did with the rest of the vehicle.

Yes the Honda V6 in the VUE is nice. In fact that engine makes it the quietest Saturn we have owned.

GM is telling me that flickering dashlights and headlights are NORMAL. That the lights were DESIGNED to do this. There will be no fix. Saturn cannot continue to foist this kind of quality on their buyers and expect them to remain with the company as there are mnay other options out there in the market. This is not the company it once was.

Last edited by hoppy; 03-21-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:46 PM   #11
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The rest of the car may fall apart buy=t at least you can count on the engine and transimission (also HONDA) to stay together. .
Actually Honda has had problems with that transmission and th eone in you L is much less troublesome.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
Brad_in_Valpo
Brad_in_Valpo is on a distinguished road

I've had 4 Saturns and have never had any problems with them at all. I currently own a 2002 SL1 and a 2003 L200 with the sports package and love them both, they are very dependable. I'm actually thinking about getting the new mini van when it comes out this summer!!

Brad in Valpo

Re-elect George for President
Old 03-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #13
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I understand the frustrations, but dimming headlights and a creaking seat are hardly causes to label a car complete junk. My family owned a Chrysler product that WAS junk. Liftgate stuck (and would fall on your head when we fixed the latch), blown head gasket, radio changed stations at every bump, window crank broke off, temperature selector stuck in the middle, AC compressor went twice in one year, cronic transmission fluid leak, coolant leak, would die in the rain, CV joints, would die at stoplights, would die for no reason, burnt oil, the list goes on. A nice lady ran a stop sign and put an end to that POC.

I'm not sure a creaking seat would bother me, but I could fix the headlights with a capacitor or a system of relays to feed power to them straight from the battery.

At least you car hasn't left you stranded.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #14
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
If you HAVE to buy Saturn at least buy the 2004 VUE V6 because it has a HONDA ENGINE!!!
Your problems have nothing to do with the engine. In fact, save for excessive oil burning in early models, Saturn engines are great. I had great experiences with my two Hondas, but my Saturn has been great as well. Honda makes excellent engines, and I wouldn't mind having one again.

I did have problems (big $$$) with the transmissions in both my Accords, however.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #15
SexySC2Guy
SexySC2Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad_in_Valpo

Re-elect George for President [/B]
Like that signature!!
Old 03-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #16
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

My seat did that too (2000 LS). It was a bad seat rail, and dealer tech got it fixed.

Unfortunately, the flimsy seat started to creak again about a year later. Thought the redesigned seats in 02 had more guts.

Get the dealer to fix it on warranty.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #17
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by BobL
My seat did that too (2000 LS). It was a bad seat rail, and dealer tech got it fixed.

Unfortunately, the flimsy seat started to creak again about a year later. Thought the redesigned seats in 02 had more guts.

Get the dealer to fix it on warranty.
It still won't satasfy him. Hoppy, let me get you a Maglite and a roll of duct tape to fix the flickering light problem. What color is your car... I want to make sure I get a Maglite that won't clash with the color.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 03-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #18
haypops
haypops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad_in_Valpo
Re-elect George for President
George Mitchell rocks!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:16 AM   #19
Mog
Mog is on a distinguished road

I would think some WD-40 would fix a creaking seat.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #20
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Lube didn't help. Seats were very comfortable but had no quality in construction. We had a fabulous "LS Butt Issue" thread going about the plastic molding on the door side of the pass seat that would bow out away from the cushion. In fact a NHTSA complaint was filed about a child's hand being pinched.

Cheap design. Instead of bolting the molding to the seat frame, a steel stalk coming from the front held it. When a butt hit the seat, the molding bowed out. When the butt came off, the stalk didn't come back to position since it wasn't spring steel.

Factory engineer tried a fix but it didn't last. Saturn upgraded my ext wty because they felt that installing 02 seats in my 00 would cause safety issues that they didn't want to address.

Same butts on 03 Corolla seats for nearly 2 years - no problems at all.

The leather seats were said to be more strongly constructed. Mine were just flimsy pieces of junk, although very comfortable.

The creak was from the seat rail causing the frame (flimsy) to creak, not from the springs where WD-40 might help.

Shame the beancounters ruined even the seats.

Really liked the LS, but it became a nuisance with the seats, the steering vibration, the brake squeal, and the iffy taillight boards.
Closed Thread