Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default A/c Junk...

3 questions...

1.) Does anyone know where I could get a R134 adapter kit?
2.) Does saturn carry them?
3.) Anyone know how much a R12 recharge is going to cost?
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: A/c Junk...

1. Your local A/C shop, thats where i got mine.

2. Dont really know give them a call.

3. HOw much. pretty dam exspensive, i had a 1990 isuzu impulse which had r12 and they were going to charge me 200 something buck, i could be wrong that was like over 5 years ago. Better off converting it to r134a. i dont remember how much the conversion was.
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're talking about the fittings conversion from R12 to R134a, almost any auto store sells them individually or as a pair with caps. They come ready to screw on. Google R134a adapters. R12 will cost anywhere from $50/lb+ since its no longer made and depleting stocks are used up. Try calling around to find out if anyone still carries R12.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

OnDaGround, is your current R-12 system leaking? Or is it holding the charge pretty well?

Reason I ask, I still have a few cans of R-12 (stocked up back when they were 99 cents a can ) and don't have an R-12 car anymore. No sense in sending them if it's just going to put more R12 into the atmosphere, but if your system isn't leaking badly, we can work something out.

Also, you can buy R134 conversion kits at your FLAPS for around $35 that'll have 3 cans of R134, adapter fittings, tap and filling hose, warning sticker, and a POE oil that is supposed to be compatible with the mineral oil used in the R12 systems.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
PSDFan
PSDFan is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

Any parts house (O'Reilly, Autozone, etc.) should have adapters that will convert an R-12 port to R-134. I've done several R-12 to R-134 conversions and they're not terribly complicated. You have to evacuate any R-12 left over (should be captured, it's illegal to vent it to the atmosphere), after evacuating the system should be empty. Disconnect the evaporator (large silver cylinder with 2 large hose connections), take it out of the vehicle and dump the oil into a can (R-12 oil & R-134 oil aren't compatible), it would be a good idea to change out all the o-rings (seals) in the system as the R-134 is a much smaller molecule so the slightest leak will cause loss of refrigerant as well as the R-134 possibly damaging the seals because they will be impregnated with R-12 oil. Use Viton o-rings or another ring designed for refrigerants. A standard o-ring will not work.

I made a vacuum pump from an old refrigerator compressor. I got the "low side" (Blue -I believe) R-12 to R-134 adapter, then used a tubing cutter to cut the input side (vacuum) line to the compressor. After cleaning the cut end of the line @ 2" back with steel wool or fine sandpaper I attached the adapter to the line using liquid steel. The compressor now becomes a vacuum pump and should pull a near perfect vacuum. A gauge set costs about $70 and has to be for R-134. I haven't bought any R-134 in several years so I couldn't tell you about that. If you get your gauges and make a vacuum pump read many articles on the internet about how to pull down your system and add R-134. It's too complex to post here.
1963 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible
'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
'01 Ford F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel Crewcab 4X4
St. Joseph,Mo.
PSDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

I work for a dealer so we have all the gauges and necessary equipment. I was going to replace the seals, refrigerant and dryer.
Saturnless...
Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #7
gizzi
gizzi is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2002 SL1

Do you know exactly where the leak is coming from? Last I heard, R-12 (if anyone has it) is around $100 a pound. Don't even bother charging the system if you aren't 100% sure where the leak is.
gizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
OnDaGround, is your current R-12 system leaking? Or is it holding the charge pretty well?

Reason I ask, I still have a few cans of R-12 (stocked up back when they were 99 cents a can ) and don't have an R-12 car anymore. No sense in sending them if it's just going to put more R12 into the atmosphere, but if your system isn't leaking badly, we can work something out.

Also, you can buy R134 conversion kits at your FLAPS for around $35 that'll have 3 cans of R134, adapter fittings, tap and filling hose, warning sticker, and a POE oil that is supposed to be compatible with the mineral oil used in the R12 systems.
I really don't think it's leaking. It has been fine for the 4 years we have had the car and however long the person before us had it. If I had to say there was a leak it would be from the condensor. Though it was never leaking before it is bent up a little at the bottom. They probably hit a little something. There is no other damage then that. It has always been there. So it would have to be a very very very small leak to last over 4 years of freezing a/c. But say that is the leak then I will just replace it along with the seals.

Does anyone see an issue with a used condensor... I know engines and what not... not a/c stuff.
Saturnless...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
I really don't think it's leaking. It has been fine for the 4 years we have had the car
I'm not an AC expert and what follows is from what I've read, not what I know.

What garages usually do is evacuate the R12 using some reclamation machine. they measure how much R12 they pull out and replace that much R12 free, and if you need more, they'll charge you for what they use to fill it.

they'll pull a vacuum on your AC and it has to hold the vacuum for a certain amount of time. If your AC has been good for 4 years, that's a pretty slow leak.

Here's the deal: PM me your address and I'll send you a can or two of R12 sometime over the next week or two (I don't get out to the post office much). If you feel like it, you can PayPal me the postage when it gets to you.

If it doesn't show up (it's true, the Post Office does occassionally lose stuff), or if you hate PayPal or don't have a PayPal account, don't worry about it - a few bucks in postage ain't gonna kill me. Sound fair?
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

So give me a chance to look at it and I will let you know. She said she didn't hear the fans kick on.

She just told me that this morning. So I will have to look at it. It may not be leaking or need R12.
Saturnless...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
gizzi
gizzi is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2002 SL1

A bad radiator fan would cause poor AC performance, and cleaning the condenser might not be a bad idea. What is the problem you are having with the AC? Is it just not cold enough?
gizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2

You can probably pick the adapter kit up at most Auto part stores, we did the conversion on my old van. It wasn't hard. Just took some time....I have a friend that does AC work and for a case of beer he does the work for no charge......also, I am not sure if I will get yelled at for this..lol...but anytime I have ever had to have mine recharged (R-134) he gives it a tiny shot of R-12....he says that it cools better, which it seems to do as I just had to have my Kia recharged two weeks ago. 5 years...and finally had to have it recharged...not bad.
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzi View Post
Do you know exactly where the leak is coming from? Last I heard, R-12 (if anyone has it) is around $100 a pound. Don't even bother charging the system if you aren't 100% sure where the leak is.
Wow $100 a pound,guess it's time to think about selling some of the R-12 cans I have laying around
Saturn Saved The Best For Last
Live for Nothing...Or Die For Something

2008 Vue XR 3.6
1997 SL2 Auto 110K miles as of 12-14-13
<-----2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS 35th Anniversary
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote