SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
alrich
alrich is on a distinguished road

Default Help Install EVO on Power Steering Pump

I have a 1997 SC 2 and I am installing power steering pump. I got old pump off and the new pump that I got from the dealer does not come with the Electronic Variable Orfice(EVO). I took the EVO off from old pump and I have a seal kit for the EVO from the dealer. It came with 3 o-rings in packet.(2 black and one green o-ring) When I took EVO off of old unit, it had only 1 0-ring on it. A black one. It went in 2 space above threads. You have a space then some threads, another space, then another space where this 0-ring went. All of this is hidden when installed in pump. Question is does the orfice use only one o-ring and the kit had o-rings for different model years in one pack or do all 3 o-rings go on EVO? If they all go on where do they go on?
Thanks for help in advance. I need to know so I can finish putting pump on. I don't want to do it twice because I left out o-rings.
Thanks,
Al Rich
Charlotte, N.C.
alrich is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
alrich

Default Re: Help Install EVO on Power Steering Pump

Hi all,
I talked to my Saturn mechanic and he said they put all of the o-rings for different years in one package, so I used the one that was on mine. So I put new pump on and I ran into a problem. The long bolt that goes through the body of the pump and is threaded to bracket that is attached to top of intake manifold would not go all way through new pump. So I looked at the old pump and the hole for the bolt is unthreaded through pump body. I then looseend bracket on intake manifold to move it out of the way to see if hole is threaded on new pump. Sure enough it was threaded instead of being unthreaded. So I will go to dealer on Monday to see if the pump is defective or a change in design of pump. As anybody else run into this problem?
Thanks,
Al
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
alrich

Update on my problem. I went to Saturn dealer and parts guy agreed that new hole is threaded while original one is not. There was 3 design changes for that top bracket from top of intake manifold to power steering pump. Evidently the pump they sell is designed for last design 2000 to present not my 1997. THe Saturn parts man has called Saturn engineers and no response from them yet. Anybody run across this problem? Part no. for that newest bracket and bolts for it? Any help will be appreciated
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

According to the parts book the pump you have has a short bolt from the front and a short bolt from the back. The back bolt attaches a bracket. The part number 21012269 is the pump you need and has been superseded. I suspect that the solution is to either buy an aftermarket rebuilt pump, or run a clearance drill through the hole and take the threads out so the bolt will pass through. Pending any advice from GM/Saturn.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
alrich

Thanks OlDNuc
Can I go to Pull a part-a junk yard and check other S series cars to try and find 1st design or last design bracket which provides hole to attach bolt to rear. I would have to take pump off to safely drill it out and it I do that I might has get a rebuild like you said.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The bracket and bolts you need are on the plastic manifold cars. The chances are good that you do not have a stud placement that will work with the later bracket but you can try and see what happens.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
alrich

Thumbs Up Re: Help Install EVO on Power Steering Pump

OLDNUC,
Misson accomplished. I went to junk yard and found the first design of bracket that attaches to back of power steering pump and to top of intake manifold. The bracket and bolts (one for back and one for front of pump) came off of a 1994 SL2 DOHC engine. It was a perfect fit. So if you have a 1996-1998/99? SC2 or SL2? and you use Saturn No. 21013318 power steering pump, then you will need to get the above bracket and bolts off of a 1994, 1993(maybe earlier) DOHC engine for it to bolt on properly. I hope this helps anyone who replaces a power steering pump on a 1997 s series DOHC engine in the future.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
MacG
MacG is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrich View Post
OLDNUC,
Misson accomplished. I went to junk yard and found the first design of bracket that attaches to back of power steering pump and to top of intake manifold. The bracket and bolts (one for back and one for front of pump) came off of a 1994 SL2 DOHC engine. It was a perfect fit. So if you have a 1996-1998/99? SC2 or SL2? and you use Saturn No. 21013318 power steering pump, then you will need to get the above bracket and bolts off of a 1994, 1993(maybe earlier) DOHC engine for it to bolt on properly. I hope this helps anyone who replaces a power steering pump on a 1997 s series DOHC engine in the future.
How does the EVO attach to the pump?

Does the pressure line thread int he pump body or the EVO unit??

Thanks
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote