SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
robblaw
robblaw is on a distinguished road

Default help, got new serp belt and it just slipped off!!!

And I am ticked off. I justr had the serpentine belt replacd as well as the alternator no more than a month ago and today on my way to work the friggin thing fell off and my check your battery light came on. I made it to work and popped the hood and sure enough it was lose. It appeared to be all there. Is it hard to put this back on? It will be dark soon so can I do it or AAA is coming later can they just slip it back on? It is partially on the thingys. Why in the wqorld did this happen? Poor auto mechanic technique or maintenance? Is there a lawsuit to be had here?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Possibly the belt tensioner has failed.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
robblaw

Is this an easy thing to fix? Can a mechanic fix it fairly quick? I shouldn't have to pay since he replaced belt and alternator recently, right? Why would this happen if the belt and alternator are new? Negligence? Please help me out here.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:30 PM   #4
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Belts get thrown for two reasons; 1) Mis-alignment. This is where the belt path from pulley-to-pulley doesn't run true, or: 2) Loose belt. This can be caused by the wrong size belt or a bad tensioner. If the old tensioner kept the belt on, then you may have the wrong belt on the car. This is not uncommon when you get a belt from a Pep Boys-type parts counter jockey.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:31 PM   #5
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

When he replaced the alternator, the tech should have ensured all the pulleys are aligned and are clean. Misaligned pulleys could cause the belt to come off. Any junk on a pulley can cause it to fall off.

Second, the belt may not have been installed correctly - the pulleys have fins on them which ride in the grooves in the belt. If not centered properly such that the fins and grooves interlace, the belt can come off.

Third, it is possible that the tensioner is weak or stuck such that the belt isn't tight enough which could help it fall off.

Putting a belt on is not hard and doesn't take much time at all - it's a little tricky to do without good lighting because of the alignment and the fins/grooves issues mentioned above. And it doesn't address what caused the belt to go off in the first place.

Forget the lawsuit - you have insufficient damages to file one and you can't prove which of the above causes did it. I think I would have had the mechanic put the belt back on and verify the pulley alignment and tensioner.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
robblaw

Thanks for the info. Thats what I did I had AAA tow it and mechanic will hopefully look at it Monday.
Closed Thread