SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #21
saturnsl12010
saturnsl12010 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default Re: Flickering Dash - No dome/radio -wont start

i have a 99 saturn sl1 and i have some of the same problems. you hear the fuel pump but wont start and when it was driveable i would notice the rpm gauge droping and going in and out. but now the dome light and trunk light along with the radio are in operative but i was wondering about it since its the 2nd generation and not the 3rd any help would be wonderful this was my first car and dont want to have to get rid of her because she was a very good car
saturnsl12010 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #22
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsl12010 View Post
i have a 99 saturn sl1 and i have some of the same problems. you hear the fuel pump but wont start and when it was driveable i would notice the rpm gauge droping and going in and out. but now the dome light and trunk light along with the radio are in operative but i was wondering about it since its the 2nd generation and not the 3rd any help would be wonderful this was my first car and dont want to have to get rid of her because she was a very good car
Another F-5 issue..

Look at the back of the IPJB (fuse box by the passenger side footwell) and look for burned wires.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Pins, not wires. Disconnect the battery negative and remove the large black plug on the back of the I/P panel. now check the pins and connectors for cooked parts.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Pins, not wires. Disconnect the battery negative and remove the large black plug on the back of the I/P panel. now check the pins and connectors for cooked parts.
ah, was gonna say I thought that (in some cases?) the F-5 wire would also get cooked...
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The connector cooks but you can not see it unless you disconnect the black 68 pin connector and look at the face side.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #26
GrimGuitar
GrimGuitar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
Happy Re: Flickering Dash - No dome/radio -wont start

Hi,

I have this same issue. It is the Red/pink fuse wire that gives power to the car. I get flickering lights and what not as well.

I have looked at this wiring before but could not figure out how to pull the fuse box out (until now, with those pictures i think i might know how to get it loose now).

I can see that my wire wiggles around in the fuse box. So it has a poor connection and the car turns off and flickers whenever the wire wiggles enough.

The wire gets REALLY hot! And I can see that some of the plastic on the wire has frayed.

Do I need to completely replace this wire?
If so how would one go about doing this?

Or, if I am able to get the wire out and fix the pin so it fits again will it be fine? (in terms of the heat coming from the wire and it being frayed)

I have been cursed with this problem from a while now and I am so glad I finally found this thread!!! Thanks for any help!!
GrimGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you enter just F-5 into the big search box in the upper center of the page you will find multiple instances of this failure. Depending on the extent of damage determines the fix. Replacing the entire panel ids the best approach along with splicing in a new wire. The panel is year specific so not just any panel fits. What this means is you have to have access to local pick and pull yards for parts. First step is to run that search so you get more info and know how to get this apart.

Below is the Cliff Notes.
That red(pink) wire is a direct connection to the IP BAT fuse in the UHJB. If you have decided it is the problem fixing is usually not that bad. You disconnect the battery negative terminal and then unbolt the center bolt in the black 68 pin plug. Once the bolt spins free grab the wire bundle and wiggle it all the way out. take a small chunk of scotch brite and clean up the F-5 pin in the panel. Just get it clean on at least one side. To fix the connector in the plug you remove the blue connection assurance clip that is on the side of the plug. pull the one that holds F-5. Once that lock is out you look at the face of the plug and locate F-5. Look closely and you will see that one side is rounded under. On that side you insert the end of a flat type of bobby pin under that rounded side and when it stops you can gently pull on the back end by the red (pink) wire and it will slide out when unlatched. If it does not slide right out slightly twist the bobby pin to lift the latch. Once out re-spring the latch slightly and clean up the section that slides over the pin. Use scotch brite instead of any abrasive paper. Reassemble and reconnect negative lead at battery.

Picture links and other useful info.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182826
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183082

F-5 thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ghlight=power#

Put the year and model of your car into your profile so we all know what we are working on.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #28
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

If you understand electricity, know how to solder, and like taking stuff apart carefully read these as well:

This was my fix for the issue:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2090693

I loosely followed Tom Bryant's guide:
http://thosbryant.wordpress.com/2014...8-1999-part-3/

I took the whole thing apart as in "Reference 2" on his site, but part 3 should do the trick.
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #29
jeopardy98
jeopardy98 has a spectacular aura aboutjeopardy98 has a spectacular aura aboutjeopardy98 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1

Hi, can anyone tell me if a common issue such as this exists for the Saturn Vue? I have an aftermarket stereo that started having terrible alternator whine and within a few days my backup camera was flickering and this morning I had the start right up and cut right off issue. Dash lights look like a disco christmas tree and I have no interior dome lights or radio.
'07 ION 2
'05 Malibu Maxx
1987 Dodge Dakota
1996 Jetta GLS
'04 Suzuki SV650
1985 Honda ATC250SX
jeopardy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:12 PM   #30
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you are discussing the F5 issue in early S-series cars sharing this problem with Vues, no. Vues do not have the same wiring as S-series cars.

The problem you may have in your Vue may be alternator related with several threads in Vue forums. The radio broadcasting whining sounds (increasing/decreasing in sync with engine rpm?) is a big hint.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:20 PM   #31
jeopardy98
jeopardy98 has a spectacular aura aboutjeopardy98 has a spectacular aura aboutjeopardy98 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you are discussing the F5 issue in early S-series cars sharing this problem with Vues, no. Vues do not have the same wiring as S-series cars.

The problem you may have in your Vue may be alternator related with several threads in Vue forums. The radio broadcasting whining sounds (increasing/decreasing in sync with engine rpm?) is a big hint.
Yes but every single other issue described in this thread is present in my Vue. No radio or dome lights or power door locks. No chime. Dash lights all lighting up and flickering and the car starting up and immediately dying. I was really hoping the Vue shared something similar because I would at least have a place to start. After reading all of the Vue threads on similar issues they all pointed to the BCM. It sucks because I just got done replacing the slave cylinder and now this but the car only has 22,000 original miles on it.
'07 ION 2
'05 Malibu Maxx
1987 Dodge Dakota
1996 Jetta GLS
'04 Suzuki SV650
1985 Honda ATC250SX
Old 08-17-2022, 09:53 AM   #32
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To have a better understanding of major differences between S-series with F5 wiring problems and Vues with its own wiring might be reviewing wiring diagrams for both. The entire S-series from '91-'01 dog not use body control modules (BCM). All Vues use BCMs. Those are major differences in wiring.

Mystery issues related to wiring and electronics may be caused by main power; battery, battery cables, their connections and alternator. Diagnosing your mystery problems can be overwhelming while taking a step by step approach to eliminate things can help narrow this problem down. In addition to main power possibilities, the bcm runs almost everything except the EFI system which is run by the ecm. Airbags and abs are run by their own modules. Other issues with Vues are about water intrusion into electrical connections causing mystery problems. Multiple pin connectors by the driver's side sill or foot well area were reported soaked from water entering to create unusual problems. Vue members may be able to help if you open a thread with descriptions in the Vue tech forums.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:59 PM   #33
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardy98 View Post
Yes but every single other issue described in this thread is present in my Vue. No radio or dome lights or power door locks. No chime. Dash lights all lighting up and flickering and the car starting up and immediately dying. I was really hoping the Vue shared something similar because I would at least have a place to start. After reading all of the Vue threads on similar issues they all pointed to the BCM. It sucks because I just got done replacing the slave cylinder and now this but the car only has 22,000 original miles on it.
What year is your Vue and which adapter harness did you use when installing the radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
To have a better understanding of major differences between S-series with F5 wiring problems and Vues with its own wiring might be reviewing wiring diagrams for both. The entire S-series from '91-'01 dog not use body control modules (BCM). All Vues use BCMs. Those are major differences in wiring.

Mystery issues related to wiring and electronics may be caused by main power; battery, battery cables, their connections and alternator. Diagnosing your mystery problems can be overwhelming while taking a step by step approach to eliminate things can help narrow this problem down. In addition to main power possibilities, the bcm runs almost everything except the EFI system which is run by the ecm. Airbags and abs are run by their own modules. Other issues with Vues are about water intrusion into electrical connections causing mystery problems. Multiple pin connectors by the driver's side sill or foot well area were reported soaked from water entering to create unusual problems. Vue members may be able to help if you open a thread with descriptions in the Vue tech forums.
This is not true. The 3rd gen (2000-2002) S-Series have a BCM. However, I agree that the Vue has a different wiring infrastructure with it's own issues. None of the information in this thread will be applicable to a Vue.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 211K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 85K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #34
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ruley73, once again I'm wrong. You're correct, the S-series from model years 2000-2002 incorporate BCMs. Thank you for correcting me.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:14 PM   #35
jeopardy98

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
What year is your Vue and which adapter harness did you use when installing the radio?
Metra 70-2002 and my Vue is an 03.
'07 ION 2
'05 Malibu Maxx
1987 Dodge Dakota
1996 Jetta GLS
'04 Suzuki SV650
1985 Honda ATC250SX