SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #1
Miss Holly
Miss Holly is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Wrench "Possessed" passenger seat belt!

Hey it's me again, owner of a VERY used '94 Saturn SC2 Coupe that I just bought two months ago.

I have two issues with my passenger seat belt that are driving me somewhat insane.

(1). The seat belt indicator on the dashboard remains lit, even if you have the seatbelt on (both the shoulder belt and lap belt). What gives??!!!

(2). Whether the shoulder belt is connected to the metal connecting latch or not, the metal latch for the shoulder belt goes up and down on its own, literally as if it's possessed!! It is very alarming while I'm driving, to hear the metal latch go up and down repeatedly. Initially, I hooked the shoulder belt to the metal connecting latch, hoping that the latch would stop moving. No such luck! Strangely enough, this doesn't happen when I have a passenger in the passenger seat with the seatbelt on! Yet if I am alone, the latch moves constantly and it's rather loud! I've tried drowning out the noise with the cd player (boyfriend's suggestion LOL) but it is still aggravating me!

Any ideas as to why this is happening, and more importantly, how do I fix it?!! Can it be fixed???
Proud owner of a 1994 Saturn SC2 Coupe!
Miss Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: "Possessed" passenger seat belt!

Sounds like your module is on the fritz. Finding replacements might be hard and/or expensive. Your best bet is to get the seat belts in a position where they are up at the top and pull the seatbelt fuse. That way no more movement, but they are no longer automatic.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Wrench Re: "Possessed" passenger seat belt!

I agree with Uzzy. Sounds like a module is getting ready to go...It's very likely too that something was spilled in the middle console at one point by a previous owner, which is shorting the motor out that operates the seatbelts. You CAN replace the motor that operates these...but as stated; it will be expensive. You can go to your local pick/pull yard and find a car that matches your year car with automatic seatbelts and pull the motor from the middle of the console and replace it in your car (this shouldn't be too much...maybe $50 at the most)...

Otherwise, you will be spending a fortune on replacing the motor that operates the belts. Depending on the mileage and how well the car was treated in the past (which sounds like from what you describe, the car was abused; in Saturns this is bad.), I guess you would have to ask yourself; how important is this to get fixed. If you can move the belts into a position where they won't move out of place, I would suggest once they are in place to a point where they won't move, pull the fuse for the automatic seatbelts, so that way they stay in place and are not constantly moving while you are driving. The seatbelt light on your dash will probably stay on until you replace the motor unit, although I am not positive if it will go out if you pull the fuse.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
IThe seatbelt light on your dash will probably stay on until you replace the motor unit, although I am not positive if it will go out if you pull the fuse.
That's another strange one. I'm not sure what controls that light. There must be a sensor in the seat belt, maybe it's damaged, or the wire is damaged. I would take the dash apart and pull the bulb I didn't even know those old one had a seatbelt light until fairly recently, because the one on my '92 SC never worked as long as I had it.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

BTW, that's called the PREST (Passive RESTraint) module, and IIRC, the fuse is marked PREST. The module is under the center console near the parking brake handle, a perfect place to receive drink spills.

One other possibility is the door switch on the passenger side. I say that because it's only the passenger-side belt that's doing it. Does the dome light blink on when this happens, by any chance? Does the dome light go on as usual when you actually open the passenger door?

Another option: the "Silva Procedure" - convert to '95-style manual seat belts. One of Low Saturn's many areas of expertise.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Miss Holly
Miss Holly is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Attention Re: "Possessed" passenger seat belt!

Strangely enough, my seatbelts haven't been "automatic" since the car has been in my possession (since early November). They are occasionally automatic, and I find it easier to just connect the seatbelt manually (it's easier to do this than to waste time trying to get it to work automatically). The mechanic is taking a look at the car today (bigger more important issues-ECTS, spark plugs, etc.) so I'll mention it to him.

BTW-no, the dome light does not come on when I open the door. It never has since I've owned the car. Also, the dome light doesn't blink either. But the mechanic says that there are a lot of sensors that are "out of whack" in my car, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll keep you guys updated as to what the actual problem & resolution is.
Proud owner of a 1994 Saturn SC2 Coupe!
Miss Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Holly View Post
BTW-no, the dome light does not come on when I open the door. It never has since I've owned the car. Also, the dome light doesn't blink either. But the mechanic says that there are a lot of sensors that are "out of whack" in my car, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll keep you guys updated as to what the actual problem & resolution is.
Nope, there are no sensors that affect the dome light. Only the door switches and the switch on the light itself. The switch on the light IS in the "Door" position, right?

Be wary of this "a lot of sensors" and "out of whack" stuff. There are only so many sensors on our engines (not that many, actually), and either they work or they don't. He needs to tell you exactly which sensors are good and bad, and more importantly, how he determined that. If he's on his toes, and honest, he won't mind the scrutiny.

If you'd rather just continue to use the seat belts manually, I'd recommend, as (IIRC) stated above, just remove the PREST fuse.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
samsr
samsr is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SC2

Ould a partially cooked relay of fuse panel be the cause of the seat belt issue and the dome light issue? It makes sence. The fuse panel on the inside of the car has been known to go haywire every once and a while. It sounds like something is getting intermittent power. Check the fuse pannel next to the passenger on the center console and see if there is some corrosion or melted contacts.
15 S-series put back on the road.
Now working on a 2000 LW2 v6 auto. Timing belt, 2 intake valves and more getting discovered.
samsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
BTW-no, the dome light does not come on when I open the door. It never has since I've owned the car. Also, the dome light doesn't blink either.
Did you happen to take a look at it? It has 3 settings, ON, DOOR and OFF. If it's set to off, well then it won't work at all. The belt should only move if the door is opened, there are no seat sensors in your car. I'd suspect that the door closed switch is on the fritzs and either your dome light burned out because of that, or it's just set to off.

Quote:
But the mechanic says that there are a lot of sensors that are "out of whack" in my car, so maybe that has something to do with it.
That sounds like grease mokey speak for "Golly! I ain't never worked on of these fore-ine cars befur. Could be any number of things wrong with it." He has no clue. For some reason non-Saturn mechanics have no idea how to fix a Saturn, which is strange; because they are domestic, and they are incredibly simple if you know a thing or two about Saturns. Send him to this site, for real. Lots of mechanics use internet forums such as this one to learn a thing or two about cars that they know nothing about, and it usually ends up saving them a lot of headache.

Quote:
I'll keep you guys updated as to what the actual problem & resolution is.
Yes, please
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
That sounds like grease mokey speak for "Golly! I ain't never worked on of these fore-ine cars befur....
She should tell 'im it's a JDM .