SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 08-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #1
tlcamp
tlcamp is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 2.2 Ecotec Crank Pulley Issues

I've been in the process of installing the crankshaft pulley and what should have been an easy process has turned into a disaster. Came off easy with no issues after gentler persuasion from a crow bar and my hands. Now I'm stuck. I have had it on the oil pump gears and had them move with the flat sides. I for no reason cannot get it to attach to the key. I have it lined up many times and when I turn it to confirm that it is on and turns with the crank it either slides off or I didn't have it attached. When by the timing marks, shined a light on the key for line up and thought it was on but came right off when I attempted to turn a little for confirmation. Any past experiences or suggestions?
Thanks
tlcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 2.2 Ecotec Crank Pulley Issues

Is this the crankshaft pulley you're having difficulty putting it back on? When a crowbar was needed to remove it, the slip fit, keyed shaft and pulley tightened with a bolt prevents it from shifting. Replacing it may be just as tight if there are any burrs, nicks or if the woodruff key loosened to interfere with repositioning the pulley back on. Nicks or burrs should be filed or sanded down, wiped clean and repositioned. If the key came up then a gentle tap with a brass hammer or aluminum should put it back without creating burrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cp2.jpg (36.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cp1.jpg (23.7 KB, 0 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
Trexer
Trexer is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 2.2 Ecotec Crank Pulley Issues

A little light honing and a good cleaning are essential steps. Just a grain of sand, fleck of rust, or tiny burr will make it almost impossible.
Trexer is offline   Reply With Quote