SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-31-2022, 09:57 AM   #21
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 2002 Saturn SL-2 Air Conditioning Not Working

I bought dye separately.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008QDXPFK?psc=1
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #22
ronbo97
ronbo97 is a jewel in the roughronbo97 is a jewel in the roughronbo97 is a jewel in the rough

So I now have the new replacement compressor from Rockauto. The compressor has a label attached to it, saying that it is already filled with 5 oz of PAG 46. Do I have to add additional PAG 46 ? There was a bottle included in the kit. I really wanted to use PAG 46 with the dye. But since it's already filled, should I just leave it alone ?

Second question: There are two gaskets that came with the compressor. Metal outer ring. Black rubber inner ring. See photo. Where do these go ?

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compressor Gaskets sm.jpg (166.7 KB, 4 views)
ronbo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:54 AM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your choice to add a 1/4(?) oz of dye to compressor oil or drain it and replace with pag 46 with dye.

A suggestion to consider. All service manuals describe draining original compressor of oil and use the amount found for new oil poured into the replacement. Oil is normally distributed so specific amounts are specified for parts replaced. An example would be athe old compressor has 3 ozs so 3ozs of new oil is poured in to the replacement. A condenser coil isn't drained but manuals specify something like an ounce or more poured into the replacement. Dryer takes about 1/2 to 1 oz, evaporator coil - maybe an ounce. Replacing parts should follow service manual recommendations.

I would drain the old oil and use that amount for new oil in the replacement. It's your choice to drain all new oil and replace with oil mixed with dye but refrain from using 5 ozs. More oil than needed reduces the volume for refrigerant and can drive operating pressures higher than expected. This would affect low and high side pressures. If low side pressures go above 40 psi, there may be reduced cooling. High side pressures going above 250 psi (hot and humid local traffic) simply loads down the engine while creating more heat loads on the condenser coil the cooling fan is already moving air thru. This can create higher cooling system temps bordering on overheating issues.

While not rocket science, ac repairs are unforgiving of mistakes.

The two flat seals are for the two fittings on the compressor. The outer flat washer crushes to create a custom seal between fittings while the inner rubber seal provides a pressure proof seal against vacuum, standby and operating pressures. These two seals are applied dry. Be sure all surfaces are clean and free of debris.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #24
ronbo97
ronbo97 is a jewel in the roughronbo97 is a jewel in the roughronbo97 is a jewel in the rough

So I'll be replacing the compressor and the dryer. If I drain 3 oz of oil from the old compressor, should I actually add 4 oz into the new compressor (after draining the oil from the new compressor), considering that the new dryer takes 1 oz ?

Second question: In the kit that I got from RockAuto, there is also an expansion valve. Should I replace the old expansion valve with this new one ?

Ron
Old 08-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In theory, it's recommended to follow service manual procedures; replace compressor oil with the amount poured out from the old compressor and pour oil into new dryer. This allows oil replenishment in new parts so the system is balanced upon startup. If you pour oil only into the compressor, any discharged oil simply goes into the condenser coils and the bulk remain there unless forced to enter the dryer. R134a condenser coils are parallel design where pressurized refrigerant flows from one side thru parallel coils to the other side. Oil will coat every interior surface of the finned tubing. Whatever drains out may or may not enter the dryer as either a mist or fluid. Whatever oil is retained may or may not enter the line to the evaporator coil/txv. Pouring oil into the dryer will help oil get to the evaporator coils to eventually return to the compressor.

There are no guarantees when diy repairs are made but following service manual guidelines helps prevent unintended consequences that may occur if not following procedures. As always, it's your choice. As mentioned previously, replacing the txv can be troublesome.

Last edited by fdryer; 08-01-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #26
ronbo97

OK. I think I'm close to getting started on this project.

In terms of introducing PAG 46 into the dryer, there are two ports: One has two aluminum fittings with a rubber hose in the center. The other has a short aluminum fitting attached to the top of the dryer. Which is the correct port to use ?

BTW, I wish I had the factory service manual. But I don't.

Ron
Old 08-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #27
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Best guess is pouring oll into the output side that connects to the line going to the firewall connections to the hvac box. This will ensure oil will go towards the evaporator coils and eventually return to the compressor.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #28
ronbo97

OK, Everyone. I'm back to working on the A/C now that the temperature and heat index is down to a more reasonable number.

Here is a photo of the dryer that was sent in the kit from RockAuto. I've looked all over the engine compartment and I haven't been able to find the old dryer. I'm assuming that it looks just like the one that was sent.

Can someone post a photo or let me know where the dryer is located ?

Thanks,

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-C Dryer.jpg (181.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #29
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

It is in front of the driver-side front wheel. You have to take off the plastic wheel-well splash-shield to even see that drier.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:05 PM   #30
ronbo97

Does it look like what is in my picture ?

Ron
Old 08-10-2022, 09:39 PM   #31
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I don't know. I have only gen1 cars, and have barely seen that drier on those.

Just to worry you, though, there have been some threads here where folks ordered/received units that were "not quite right" and had to bend tubes; don't know what gen...
Old 08-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #32
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ronbo97, open the hood and look at your front end where you expect to see a radiator. Every vehicle with ac have condenser coils in front of the radiator. The top metal cross brace sometimes covers both. Look thru the front grille or lay down to view things from underneath the front end. You should be able to see the difference between cooling system and ac parts. The radiator will have two large diameter cooling hoses. The ac system will have smaller diameter hoses with crimped on aluminum tubing going to fittings. All ac systems use plain aluminum tubing and high pressure hoses. Most condenser coils have a separate receiver/filter/drier like the part you have on either the right passenger or driver's side of the condenser coil. Google for images of your car's ac system and where parts are located. Past threads may have snapshots from members too. In general, all S-series ac systems share similar parts configurations where they're placed.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:21 PM   #33
ronbo97

For those following along, I located the A/C dryer. It's on the driver's side, right behind the headlight assembly and horn. Replacement will be interesting.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-C Dryer on Driver's Side by Horn sm.jpg (162.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #34
ronbo97

I'm scratching my head a little on this.

When I drained the New compressor of oil, about 4.25 oz came out. There was a tag on the compressor that said that it was prefilled with 5 oz. (I attribute the difference to oil that remained in the compressor, some spillage etc.) But when I drained the Old compressor of oil, only about 3/4 oz came out. The draining process included draining both holes and spinning the clutch while draining. So the question is, why the difference ? Is it because the new compressor comes filled with enough oil to circulate throughout an entire brand new system ? Should I only add 3/4 oz to the New compressor ?

Second question: When replacing the seals on the high and low hoses, should the new seals be lubed with anything, or put on dry ?

Ron
Old 08-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #35
ronbo97

I haven't found a way to edit or delete my previous post, but I reviewed the entire thread and found the answers to my questions. So feel free to ignore my last post.

Ron
Old 08-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #36
billr
Master Member

Or, did the oil "missing" from the old compressor simply go out the same leak as the refrigerant???

This brings up a glaring deficiency with the "put back in what you drained out" theory.

Let's not debate it to death, but I put back in the proper amount for the compressor, even though little drained out. Yes, the "proper" amount of lube is best; but all machinery has a better chance of surviving with too much lube than with too little.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:44 PM   #37
ronbo97

There was no leak. Just a bad compressor coil. I'll be adding another 1/2 to 1 ounce into the dryer before installation. There is still some in the system (with dye, as it turns out). So I think I'll be in good shape.

Ron
Old 08-19-2022, 10:18 PM   #38
ronbo97

Time for an update. Compressor and dryer are installed. Brought it to my shop, where they vacuumed out the air and refilled with R134a. Now I have nice, cold a/c. Yay !

A word about the kit that I bought from RockAuto. The compressor and dryer were perfect copies of the original factory parts. But the high pressure gasket was not the right size. So when the shop tried to fill with R134a, there was a leak. They replaced the gasket with the correct size one. Also, one of the ports on the dryer was missing its gasket/seal. I noticed that when examining the old dryer. I reused the original gasket/seal, which was in excellent shape. So all was good.

Ron