Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #1
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default Intake manifold gasket problem

I recently (20 min ago) recieved my rebuild order from saturnparts. As I looked through it to make sure everything was there I discovered (to my dismay) that my intake manifold gasket end was bent and has a small crack. I am very worried about this. I don't think I'll use it because of the greater possibility of a vacuum leak. What I'd like to know if there is something like RTV I can apply to ensure it doesn't leak. Probably won't take that route though.

I contacted Simon (at saturnparts) and told him about the problem. How big of a problem does it look like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intakeGasket.jpg (40.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg intakegasket2.jpg (20.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg intakegasket3.jpg (27.5 KB, 27 views)
-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Intake manifold gasket problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
I recently (20 min ago) recieved my rebuild order from saturnparts. As I looked through it to make sure everything was there I discovered (to my dismay) that my intake manifold gasket end was bent and has a small crack. I am very worried about this. I don't think I'll use it because of the greater possibility of a vacuum leak. What I'd like to know if there is something like RTV I can apply to ensure it doesn't leak. Probably won't take that route though.

I contacted Simon (at saturnparts) and told him about the problem. How big of a problem does it look like?
I wouldn't use it. Just get it replaced. Even if you have to buy another out of your own pocket, it's pretty cheap, and it's simply not worth the hassle of trying to R&R later if it eventually fails.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I agree with Razorbak. No point in building in a vacuum leak. I presume yours is a SOHC. Never had the pleasure of dealing with a SOHC but I know the intake manifold on a DOHC is a semi pain in the rear with the head installed on the engine in the car. I would agree, they aren't that expensive and if you need it now, I would just go buy a new one. If you have time see if Saturnparts will send you a new one. If not send them the pics of the damaged on and see if they will give you credit for it if you have to buy one locally.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King
semi pain in the rear
I see you're an optimist.

Quote:
If you have time see if Saturnparts will send you a new one. If not send them the pics of the damaged on and see if they will give you credit for it if you have to buy one locally.
He has time. Trust me, if he's planning to do an in-frame rebuild, he has PLENTY of time before he'll EVER need to reach for a new intake manifold gasket.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Well a couple of months ago, I took the head off my 99 SC-2 and basically took it apart one piece at a time.. Took the manifolds off before I removed the head. Did the reverse to put it back together, Dealing with the intake manifold nuts from underneith with it in the car was not impossible, but I did think that there could have been an easier way to do this. Talking with my tech friend at the dealership, he told me they don't deal with the intake manifold while it is still in the car. And he reinstalls it before he sets the head back on the block. I agreed that that would how it was going to done if I ever have to do it again.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King
Well a couple of months ago, I took the head off my 99 SC-2 and basically took it apart one piece at a time.. Took the manifolds off before I removed the head. Did the reverse to put it back together, Dealing with the intake manifold nuts from underneith with it in the car was not impossible, but I did think that there could have been an easier way to do this. Talking with my tech friend at the dealership, he told me they don't deal with the intake manifold while it is still in the car. And he reinstalls it before he sets the head back on the block. I agreed that that would how it was going to done if I ever have to do it again.
Unless you're not planning to R&R the head. If all you want to do is replace the intake manifold gasket with the head in place, then it's a lot more difficult to access the nuts and studs.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Unless you're not planning to R&R the head. If all you want to do is replace the intake manifold gasket with the head in place, then it's a lot more difficult to access the nuts and studs.
Agreed.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

it's a DOHC. Note my signature.
Simon apologized for the inconvenience and said he is sending a new one today. All I have to do is send the damaged gasket back when the new one arrives! Such great service!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

when rebuilding my SOHC, I worked on the intake manifold while it was attached to the head and the whole manifold/head assembly was off the car.
1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6
Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

That's what I plan on doing. I will probably do that w/ the header as well.
Where are those valves jim? I gotta start calling some people w/ quotes for port & polish today. BUT WAIT! I want them to put your valves in so I need those before I take it to the machine shop.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 PM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Give Simon a call at Saturnparts. Hes a good guy and will work with you. I received my order from them on Thursday, the 17th and noticed the head gasket and a slight score inb it from what looked like someone the orginal packaging and a clip was broken off the timing chain guide. I called right away and he shipped out replacement parts which arrived Monday, the 21st. This is without receiving the orginal parts back yet.

Pretty good customer service in my book.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #12
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

Simon is the shiznit!
Closed Thread