saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Haps
Haps is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Question Camshaft solenoids & filters

Hey guys,

Regarding the cam solenoid issue, I'm familiar with the TSB issues to remove the filters, but wondering what the final verdict was on doing that? I recalled reading somewhere that it was a bad idea and lead to failed solenoids. (This would make a bit of sense, I'm sure the engineers put filters there for a reason.)

I've been experiencing some of the typical symptoms lately, stumble when declutching, diesel-y idle, etc. When I was changing my plugs today, I pulled out the exhaust side solenoid, and there wasn't much debris at all caught in the filters - just a few tiny particles on the top filter, maybe equivalent to 4 grains of sand. Didn't have time to pull the intake side.

Did any of you notice better/smoother performance from just removing the filters?
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Camshaft solenoids & filters

I was experiancing the same symptoms a you were on my XE5. I did take the front side solenoid out, (the one easiest to remove), and found no particles or debri that I could see with the naked eye. In other words that one looked pretty darn clean. Reinstalled the solenoid without removing the filter screens but still the symptoms persist. All except maybe the stumbling and lack of power. I will remove the other solenoid later to see if it is "clean".
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Haps
Haps is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Next nice day I'm not working (ha!) I'll pull the intake side and have a look at it...

It's tempting to just pull the filters anyway... The mesh is quite fine, so I'm sure it'll increase flow by a large margin, but like I said in the original post, I want to make sure nobody has had issues of having to replace the solenoid itself after removing the filter.

I do have 2 mystery codes being thrown that I can't read with my current OBD2 scanner... New USB-OBD2 scanner is in the mail, so it'll be interesting to see what they are.
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
zeeegnome
zeeegnome is on a distinguished road

Im still having issues with the same codes (4 codes: P2A00, P0135 and P000A (pending))and i swear they all relate. Ive been having problem with these codes for a while (probably since mid june). Ive removed BOTH CPS's (looked clean as hell) sprayed them with brake fluid cleaner and reinserted them. I'm getting an oil change here soon AND I'm going to have my distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires all replaced as well. If THAT doesnt solve it, I dont know what to do about the CPS problem outside of buying 2 new CPS's (at $150 USD a pop...). If ANYONE finds out what causes this, please post about it

zeeegnome
zeeegnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Hope you have the same luck I did. My codes went away after the oil change. Top it off afterwards too - doesn't like being low either. And if that doesn't do it, hopefully the other stuff you're doing will. (we have caps, rotors and wires?)

I got P0001-A once, at around 31k miles. At the time the only scheduled maintenance item that I was missing was the air filter. Changed that, cleared the code, and it never came back.

So far I've been really lucky. My codes (and symptoms) have been clearing after scheduled maintenance stuff. And now that I've said that...

My sister said it could be bad gas too, messing with the fuel injectors. That's what happened with her Benz.
Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

Last edited by cindycated; 08-13-2013 at 04:48 AM.
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
torqueit
torqueit is on a distinguished road

Anyone have any pictures or instructions on how to remove the solenoids and sensors on the Astra?

I'm getting P0340 and P0341 error codes and don't really know where to find these things.
torqueit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueit View Post
Anyone have any pictures or instructions on how to remove the solenoids and sensors on the Astra?

I'm getting P0340 and P0341 error codes and don't really know where to find these things.
Here is the TSB with picture. hopefully it will dsisplay for you:
http://i.imgur.com/P8ZA43b.jpg

Some other info :

1. Open the hood.
2. Place a drain pan underneath.
3. Disconnect the wiring harness loom from the cylinder head.
4. Remove the 2 valves, camshaft position actuator solenoid (3).
* Disconnect the 2 wiring harness plugs (1).
* Remove the 2 bolts (2).
* Remove the 2 camshaft position actuator solenoid valves from the bearing support.

Last edited by smwalker; 08-01-2015 at 01:50 PM.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
torqueit
torqueit is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I think I know where I'm looking now.

Looks like I need to remove the timing belt cover to get into that area maybe?

Very tight in there.
torqueit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Front is super easy. Rear maybe some hoses moved out of the way. It least it is on top so not to far down to reach.
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
xdarkxfirex
xdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura aboutxdarkxfirex has a spectacular aura about

Long story. I tried to pull my front one out on christmas, but it was seized. Lost the bolt. Went back and forth under the car trying to find it, and it blew that one solenoid out, and filter came out in pieces. I ended up adding oil back into the engine, and finding the bolt and putting it back in.

Also swapped out the spark plugs for some champion iridium plugs. Dont really notice much hesitation, but the filters could very well have contributed to it. Many of the aftermarket solenoids listed dont use filters.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #11
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Replaced the camshaft solenoids today, but lost the bolt for the back one. Does anyone know what the part number is for the bolt? It's the one pictured below, #2. The head is E8, but that's all I know. M8 x 20? That's what GM 11098931 specified, but the drawing wasn't as clear as the one below.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
Here is the TSB with picture. hopefully it will dsisplay for you:
http://i.imgur.com/P8ZA43b.jpg

Some other info :

1. Open the hood.
2. Place a drain pan underneath.
3. Disconnect the wiring harness loom from the cylinder head.
4. Remove the 2 valves, camshaft position actuator solenoid (3).
* Disconnect the 2 wiring harness plugs (1).
* Remove the 2 bolts (2).
* Remove the 2 camshaft position actuator solenoid valves from the bearing support.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

E8 appears not to be related to metric thread size from searches. You'll have to search for more info why to understand as this simple query opens a pandora's box of info. One search shows this screw as M6 or M7; https://www.tien-i.com/blog_detail/1...ket-size-chart. With confusion over metric threads, sometimes with standard SAE too, I find it just as easy to find a matching nut or bolt, running it into the threaded hole or bolt and taking the part to a hardware store for matching. Without knowing thread size but knowing if it's SAE or metric, I'll go thru the parts drawer (Home Depot) and either screw a bolt into the nut or mesh the bolt to one from the drawer (length is a secondary concern). Be aware that Torx screws or bolts may not be stocked when a hex or Allen head part is more likely. You may have to shop online to find replacement Torx screws. E8 is the designation for a specific Torx screw so apparently thread size is standardized without concern.

An example would be when I mistakenly removed caliper bolts on my L300. I thought they were plain allen head bolts when I found out later that they are torx bolts. Rather than pay exorbitant prices for exact replacements, I simply went online and found two sites catering to everyone needing nuts and bolts. Both listed metric bolts in grade 10.9 but as head heads. Strong bolts with hex heads is fine and I used them, saving money not buying higher priced torx bolts.

GM may have E8 bolts or a local hardware distributor in your area otherwise online is available if you're willing to wait for delivery. Replacing E8 with an equivalent hex or allen head bolt may be easier and quicker. There's always a junk yard full of every nut and bolt in standard, metric, allen, hex, star or torx.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote