SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 12-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Astra repair nightmare- new video

"Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics" has some cool videos. This is a new Astra nightmare video in Pennsylvania. Camshaft issues. ECU issues. CAN bus issues. Theft deterent issues. Cim..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-5MlssGwo

Last edited by AstraFasta; 12-22-2020 at 04:37 PM.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2020, 02:53 AM   #2
jbuenavides
jbuenavides is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Astra repair nightmare- new video

I have enjoyed watching this video. I am excited to see the part 2, hoping that it will be upload soon.
jbuenavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Part 2 is up. He calls the Astra videos a "Christmas Special"!

Awesome tips to get Tech2 working for the Astra in the US, which even Chevy dealers have difficulty as this requires some Euro patches. Particularly for ECU, CIM, security DICs. Not sure if he solved the key security issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pk0ndM-Z9w

Last edited by AstraFasta; 12-23-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #4
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Part 3 is up!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWA4ZYEiqEE
Old 01-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

I enjoyed the series, although there seemed to be a lot of Astra haters in the comments column. But I guess that you are going to get that. Along with a lot of different people try to "fix" this car, what was the problem? So it was basically just a bad key and a bad ground?
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

Last edited by PaulR; 01-13-2021 at 06:00 PM.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I only skimmed these but I feel like it was alot of wasted time and alot of created problems that werent even needed to happen. Alot of the nightmare was created by people trying to fix it incorrectly. This is why the astra gets a bad name. People think its junk because they dont know how it works or how to properly diagnose or repair it because of the way its programmed.

Seems the original issue was the cim. Once they started swapping parts with used ones (cant do because its already paired to another vehicle and hasnt been properly unpaired to delivery state before being used again so its basically a paperweight) and pairing new ones without properly removing the old ones out of the canbus system first, which is also a no no, not having the correct car pass code (security key) and not using it correctly when they did (if they did) no wonder the car was messed up and not working or communicating with all the modules, they werent unprogrammed and programmed correctly. This was actually painful to watch.

I feel like they could have avoided at LEAST 90% of that if they understood this car and how it works, and just programmed stuff correctly in the first place. I couldnt even watch all of them.
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #7
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
I only skimmed these but I feel like it was alot of wasted time and alot of created problems that werent even needed to happen. Alot of the nightmare was created by people trying to fix it incorrectly. This is why the astra gets a bad name. People think its junk because they dont know how it works or how to properly diagnose or repair it because of the way its programmed.

Seems the original issue was the cim. Once they started swapping parts with used ones (cant do because its already paired to another vehicle and hasnt been properly unpaired to delivery state before being used again so its basically a paperweight) and pairing new ones without properly removing the old ones out of the canbus system first, which is also a no no, not having the correct car pass code (security key) and not using it correctly when they did (if they did) no wonder the car was messed up and not working or communicating with all the modules, they werent unprogrammed and programmed correctly. This was actually painful to watch.

I feel like they could have avoided at LEAST 90% of that if they understood this car and how it works, and just programmed stuff correctly in the first place. I couldnt even watch all of them.
Welcome back, nice to see you posting again.

I enjoyed the videos and watched them in their entirety. I've seen other of his videos and he is very resourceful and has a lot of diagnostic aids at his disposal. He was truly handed a basket case car and found it necessary to go down many rabbit holes because of the noncomprehensive approaches started by others. Some observations:

1.) I've been tempted to obtain the Tech-2 knock-offs available, but with my limited experience and what he showed us, it would be a waste for me. I would end up in a loop and never get out.

2.) He could have benefited from exploring our forum. It took him a while to ascertain the info display and head need unpairing before going into another car. Same for the actuators he finally replaced. I was watching these on my large screen and was yelling at him to replace them.

3.) I'm guessing the car had the original springs and struts. For someone who has a chance behind the wheel of many autos, he really liked the car. For all the people who choose to hate on these cars, it was apparent he was really pleased with the handling and performance, once things were sorted.

4.) That part of Pennsylvania is beautiful.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:19 AM   #8
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

I think the Euro Tech2 will not work on the US Saturn Astra. It seems to need a US Tech2 + additional US Saturn Astra software.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #9
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
I think the Euro Tech2 will not work on the US Saturn Astra. It seems to need a US Tech2 + additional US Saturn Astra software.
This is correct. OPCOM, VAUXCOM, they do not work for our vehicles. Yes you can use it as a more in depth code reader. Yes it works for this stuff, and yes it will give you codes some OBDII readers wont. (An expensive one will however). It will read codes and it will access many modules. Some it will not, however and it will not program any of them because it does not recognize our North American Vins and thus can not determine an accurate model and will not proceed any further for programming correctly. Its a great little tool though for some diagnostics especially if you get it cheap. Wont do programming however I wouldn't trust the knock off ones even if it did. Its not reliable if its a chinese knock off for programming and many people in Europe and the UK have screwed up their modules as a result using the knock offs.

As for the Tech 2 the unit itself, this can be a cheaper replica however we do need the north american card for the Saturn Astra model to use with it. Its the only way to program our vehicles correctly. Yes they are opels but they are altered opels. They are North American Astras and the changes made are enough to have differences in programming and diagnostic software. I have seen people posting on here they have OPCOM or VauxCOM and it works great. It works to diagnose some things and can speak to some modules yes. I have them, I've had them for years. I know their limitations. No matter what anyone says, I promise you they will not program and will not speak to various modules. Even with manually changing the vin to a UK or Euro Vin to try to get it to communicate and taking that risk. You are asking for trouble/wont be able to do what you want anyways. Great as a cheap code reader with a few extra functions if you get it cheap. Otherwise stick to your existing diagnostic reader.
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Old 01-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
Welcome back, nice to see you posting again.

I enjoyed the videos and watched them in their entirety. I've seen other of his videos and he is very resourceful and has a lot of diagnostic aids at his disposal. He was truly handed a basket case car and found it necessary to go down many rabbit holes because of the noncomprehensive approaches started by others. Some observations:

1.) I've been tempted to obtain the Tech-2 knock-offs available, but with my limited experience and what he showed us, it would be a waste for me. I would end up in a loop and never get out.

2.) He could have benefited from exploring our forum. It took him a while to ascertain the info display and head need unpairing before going into another car. Same for the actuators he finally replaced. I was watching these on my large screen and was yelling at him to replace them.

3.) I'm guessing the car had the original springs and struts. For someone who has a chance behind the wheel of many autos, he really liked the car. For all the people who choose to hate on these cars, it was apparent he was really pleased with the handling and performance, once things were sorted.

4.) That part of Pennsylvania is beautiful.
I honestly think some of the reasons why a lot of people hate on the Astra is because

1) Its a Saturn. They link their pre conceived ideas of saturns to this vehicle. Yes its a Saturn, but its imported/branded as a Saturn. It is unlike their previous models.

2) They do not understand it. The Astra as we all know now, is configured quite differently than most North American model vehicles. Similar to VW or any other German car in many ways with regards to its systems, the bolts and connectors used (ie Torx) it really can come across as a complicated little vehicle when you don't understand how it works. There are alot of "annoying" features to the Astra that when you think about it are actually Genius. Some of it may seem over engineered and sure some of it is, but theres actually a purpose to it, especially for within a European market. The lack of understanding and lack of knowing how to repair things made people hate on it. The lack of easily available parts on our side of the pond doesn't help either.

3) The common issues and faults that all vehicles have, on the astra tend to be more on the electrical side, and when you don't know how the electrical works, again links back to the not understanding how to repair and how so many other components are affected when one is affected and then people think they have garbage on their hands or its a piece of junk when reality is, its actually not.

My Astra will be 13 years old in August, and I live in one of the coldest, snowiest, prone to rust and corrosion places out there lol and It still runs perfect and I still haven't felt the need to get rid of it, and its still actually one of my favorite vehicles I own or have owned. I truthfully do not know what I would get to replace it. I will definately be sad to see it go when it finally dies for good.

I tend to remember the forums and pop back on here once in awhile out of curiosity or if I have a question I cant answer
~Christina~
Old 01-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #11
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Yeah. What you three just said. Very well put.
PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

Last edited by PaulR; 01-19-2021 at 08:13 PM.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote