SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
RoninDusette
RoninDusette is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SL SOHC: Boost or DOHC swap and boost?

Hi! First post here. Now, I know right off the bat that the DOHC is the way to go, but I am no stranger to custom turbo kits, and don't really want a lot of boost. I am building a REALLY fast CRX (boosted b20 vtec 4wd. hehe), but I want to make my DD a little more fun to drive.

First question is; where would I find a turbo exhaust manifold for this thing? I mean, there has to be SOMEONE out there that makes them, but in my searching, I haven't found anyone yet.

On the flip side, I am not against swapping out the SOHC for the DOHC, as long as it's not a nightmare to do. Any links/tutorials out there for this swap? Also, if I swap, I will likely rebuild the engine before it goes in, so where are some good performance parts manufacturers for the DOHC engines of the later years (2001 is what I am rocking right now)? I figure if I am going to swap, I will at least put a light build in there too. Dough isn't really an issue. More just curious what is needed to swap from SOHC to DOHC on these cars (Hondas require very little depending on the series, so I am hoping this will prove true too for a Saturn. lol).

Thanks everyone!
RoninDusette is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 2001 SL SOHC: Boost or DOHC swap and boost?

Typically, you swap to DOHC as I've never seen a SOHC turbo setup per say. There are OBX manifolds on ebay to add T3 turbos. The manifold is the easy part, you need to figure out fuel delivery. There are very little performance parts for the S series these days.

I assume you already have several grand to do this? The ratio between people that talk about boosting their Saturn and actually come back on here with pictures saying it's running/setup are probably 1 in 5000.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Since you are doing a CRX, seems like you know what you are doing. A lot of folks freak out over mention of tuning a megasquirt / fuel tuning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
I assume you already have several grand to do this?
And lots of spare time. The two don't usually go together because Time = Money

If you have several grand to do this, you are quite frankly much better off buying a different car. Instant increase in power / fun quotient, likely increased safety, and save a bunch of time and hassle. I say this as a long time fan of Saturn S-Series cars.

If you insist, browse this a bit:
http://www.differentracing.com/

The swap info is found under the tech articles
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...dohc_swap.html

You'll also need to introduce the PCM to BCM, instructions are on this site.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Not many people made performance S-Series parts when they were popular, now just about the only one's you'll get are what you can create in your garage.

The best SOHC engine I've heard about only made 180hp while the average boosted DOHC makes 250 (highest I know of was pushing 600hp), so if power is what you're after don't bother with the SOHC. It's head flows air about as well as a sealed & insulated brick wall.

Granted the SOHC cars weigh less than the DOHC cars but a large portion of that is 'factory' performance stuff like larger front sway bar and the added rear sway bar as well as heavy 'factory options' as default (like A/C, power locks/windows and power steering).

I think a 4G63 manifold, with slight modifications, is the cheapest turbo manifold you'll find though I'd skip on the factory cast iron hunk of crap as it cracks between runners 2 & 3 simply because you looked at it.

SOHC -> DOHC swap is simple, hardest part is keeping the right exhaust manifold & downpipe to match up with the cat-back and normally I'd suggest running away from a 3rd gen to modify because of the PCM/BCM combo but you'll be going with a standalone anyway so those problems don't matter.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

I think a 4G63 manifold, with slight modifications, is the cheapest turbo manifold you'll find though I'd skip on the factory cast iron hunk of crap as it cracks between runners 2 & 3 simply because you looked at it.
1G manifolds yes, they're all cracked. Here's a pic of my old one:

2G manifolds don't crack and flow better. Here's my 2g manifold after I ported it and cleaned it up:

Also, for what it's going to cost you to boost a Saturn you're better off putting that money towards the CRX (and post some pics! ) and just daily the Saturn.
http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

For a couple of grand, you can buy a nice SC2, SL2, or SW2. Sell the SL1 to recoup most of that money.

Instant DOHC swap, zero down time, zero time spend sourcing parts, and you get some bonus accessory, seat, and suspension upgrades.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Leave the DD alone.

By definition, you don't modify the DD, you have a project car to mess with.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninDusette View Post
Hi! First post here. Now, I know right off the bat that the DOHC is the way to go, but I am no stranger to custom turbo kits, and don't really want a lot of boost. I am building a REALLY fast CRX (boosted b20 vtec 4wd. hehe), but I want to make my DD a little more fun to drive.

First question is; where would I find a turbo exhaust manifold for this thing? I mean, there has to be SOMEONE out there that makes them, but in my searching, I haven't found anyone yet.

On the flip side, I am not against swapping out the SOHC for the DOHC, as long as it's not a nightmare to do. Any links/tutorials out there for this swap? Also, if I swap, I will likely rebuild the engine before it goes in, so where are some good performance parts manufacturers for the DOHC engines of the later years (2001 is what I am rocking right now)? I figure if I am going to swap, I will at least put a light build in there too. Dough isn't really an issue. More just curious what is needed to swap from SOHC to DOHC on these cars (Hondas require very little depending on the series, so I am hoping this will prove true too for a Saturn. lol).

Thanks everyone!
If you want to make the Saturn DD more fun to drive, just swap a DOHC into it and leave fairly stock. The DOHC is a lot of fun to drive, with minimal modification to it. Add the MP3 5-speed manual to this engine, and you will have a 16s -mile car, stock.

Or, keep the SOHC and swap the MP3 transmission into it. While this doesn't increase your engine's power output, it will improve lateral acceleration from gear ratio torque multiplication, and make the car a little more fun to drive.
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote