SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default why is there a concrete block in the middle of nowhere in a ditch?

http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/cfxnhXMjwy
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: why is there a concrete block in the middle of nowhere in a ditch?

Wow, that sucks.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Because it couldn't cross the road
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You stated going around a curve and suddenly finding an ice slick (apparently too late) then sliding into the ditch only to run over what looks like a broken cinder block. I think this is black ice where its invisible, most likely due to snow melt and freezing as temps drop after sunset. If the broken cinder block isn't a marker, it probably fell off a vehicle (pickup truck without its tailgate up or thrown there from someone dumping it. You inherited Murphy's Law - Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Unfortunately, you wound up encountering ML twice; 1-going around the curve at higher speed and didn't know black ice was there and 2-running over a cinder block.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

1) Saturn S-Series with normal, 5 year-old hardened rubber summer tires means never drive over 35 mph on frozen precipitation.

2) Imgur, in concert with Google, the CIA and your dentist conspired to steer you into that concrete block.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
How bad is the damage? Did you get lucky?
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

It was an intersection, got to about 5mph before it started sliding. Slowest slide into a ditch I ever had, tried powering out of it as I knew that part didn't have any foiledge or trees, or so I thought. As soon as the car hit something and and launched upwards I let off the gas, I thought I ripped out the sway bar again or worse. Only damage is just a slightly crooked tow hook from getting pulled out. When all was said and done I ended back in the intersection and could push the car around with the brakes engaged.

Did a quick visual check and took off as I was already an hour late for my new job with another hour of driving ahead. Only problem was a major vibration from the rear from snow being packed into one of the wheels.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

You live in Michigan and don't run winter tires? That would have likely saved you.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Medtactics

1999 SC2

Well as I said, hour late for a new job, which becuase it's through a private union I want be paid very much for first 90 days (4 doller raise after that) . I survived one winter on'em, whats half a winter more.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:20 AM   #10
Devs873
Devs873 has a spectacular aura aboutDevs873 has a spectacular aura aboutDevs873 has a spectacular aura about

Here is you answer https://m.imgur.com/peLSVyh
Devs873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
Well as I said, hour late for a new job, which becuase it's through a private union I want be paid very much for first 90 days (4 doller raise after that) . I survived one winter on'em, whats half a winter more.

So much wrong in these two sentences.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #12
Medtactics

1999 SC2

It's a employment center that uses a union model (mafia anyone?) for funding by taking 10%, as a "finders fee". But still a starting wage of $14/hr with the big three, 100k life policy, Medical/Dental, and 401K. Once the assignment is complete the company I 'work for' can make me permanent and I no longer have to pay the employment center, or if not I get another assignment.

As for tires I'm looking at $1000 cost for new wheels+tires (2k total if I get a set for summer), I don't exactly have that laying around, if I cut corners and just get tires I'll still have to deal the leaking OE alloy rims, I don't think they will take another tire change with out heavy leaking.

And yes it was my bad for being late for my first 'offical' day, never had to get to a job by 4am in the morning (which is not an excuse).

Last edited by Medtactics; 11-25-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #13
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1

Tell u what buy your self a pair or chains for the front tires . They give u alot traction in snow . They will pull the car forward . You feel alot more in control of your vehicle through trecherous road conditions. You will feel a major difference. Your car will bite the ice so good.Get your tire measurements off your front tires to match the size on the front tires. Tire chains have tire sizes on the box to tell you what range of sizes they will fit. You will see several check to see if your size is there if so you can use it on your car. I ordered a real pair for mine .I live in pacific northwest and I had to use mine a couple times in the winter and gosh tire chains are awsome . Your in michigan so You will need them . cheapos dont last So I got the real chains they kick ass on the road in snow . You wont find your car out of control this will give u alot more stability.

Last edited by Packard; 11-25-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
Tell u what buy your self a pair or chains for the front tires .
You need equal traction on all four. Putting good traction in the front will just give you more confidence than you should have and you'll fish tail at the first high speed corner.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
marko16
marko16 is a jewel in the roughmarko16 is a jewel in the roughmarko16 is a jewel in the rough

Dang, that's where it fell off. If you took it with you I'll be over later.
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote