SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Wrench Fixing a rear Brake Line

Car Vitals:

1994 HCE
150K miles

Need some help....I am trying to fix the rear passenger wheel brake line on my 94 HCE edition... has anyone worked on brake lines?

I was trying to loosen the connection at the rear passenger brake line, which I discovered was a 12MM. Having a rough time getting the rear 12mm off at the hose connection point, right tighty left loosey... the connection point is not rusted, just really tight. Trying to figure out the best route, since the rest of the line is rusted should I just cut the line and take my impact to the 12mm at the brake hose connector to get it removed? I hit it today with some PB Blaster and some box wrenches without much luck...

Any ideas?
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Fixing a rear Brake Line

What I have found effective is to cut the line and then use an electric or pneumatic impact with a 6 point socket to get the fitting out. They are in tapered seats ands seriously stuck. You can try a 6 point box end wrench and a small hammer the repeatedly whack the free end, it might work. 6 point short socket and breaker bar can be used as well.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
tx3nc
tx3nc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Car Vitals:

1994 HCE
150K miles

Need some help....I am trying to fix the rear passenger wheel brake line on my 94 HCE edition... has anyone worked on brake lines?

I was trying to loosen the connection at the rear passenger brake line, which I discovered was a 12MM. Having a rough time getting the rear 12mm off at the hose connection point, right tighty left loosey... the connection point is not rusted, just really tight. Trying to figure out the best route, since the rest of the line is rusted should I just cut the line and take my impact to the 12mm at the brake hose connector to get it removed? I hit it today with some PB Blaster and some box wrenches without much luck...

Any ideas?
If I'm replacing the line anyway, I cut it close to the fitting and then use my impact to buzz it out. Then I drive the line out of the fitting and reuse the fitting. What I usually find is that the line has corroded a little bit inside the fitting and will not allow the fitting to spin on the line so you can loosen it.

Also, I've found that nickel/copper brake line is very easy to work with. You can form it by hand and if you make a mistake just straighten it out and rebend it. Make sure it is NiCu BRAKE LINE from an auto parts store and not just copper plumbing line from Lowes. Not the same stuff.
tx3nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light2NDSOUT is a glorious beacon of light

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Oh, I already bought some new brake line from a local auto parts store here in Cincinnati (Smyth Automotive, as they were competitive priced to Autozone, with the connector already in place- and I have bought parts from them before)...

I have a flair tool and a pipe bender as well... I was able to remove the brake line brackets last night without any issues. I will cut the line so that I can just impact the fitting off and get the new line in place.

This is the only thing that is keeping this car in the garage currently. The only other things that needs to be replaced are the odometer gear and the lights; an Oil change, auto trans change and new filter and I should be good to go.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2

Only thing not to do is use a torch on the flare fitting if it connects to a flex line, then tend to blow the rubber line off with quite a bang.. The 6 point socket works with a ratchet, and a few taps with the hammer.
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote