SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 04-26-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
sdegan
sdegan is on a distinguished road

Default LW200 with Body Control Module problems

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Saturn LW200 with BCM problems. Light on and off, sometimes the odometer does not record miles, gauges (fuel and temperature) that move to zero and back, security light, etc,.

Now with the hot temperature is even worse. This happens both before cranking the engine and while the engine is on. I have found an online service that says that they can repair the BCM and they will send it back. However, I have recently noticed that the ABS and 'Service' lights sometime come on and then they go off as all other lights. As someone said here it is like a Christmas three.

Do you also think that the car may have the ABS/TC module that is not working properly or this may be because of the BCM? If so how can I test the ABC/TC module?

I am not sure what to do because the car is still running well.
Do you have any suggestion other than taking the car to GM?
Do you know any company that is known to repair these modules?

Many thanks for your help.
sdegan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: LW200 with Body Control Module problems

More than likely it's the BCM that is failing causing all of these concerns. If you have found a business that will repair it for you I would get that done and see what happens. I don't know what state you are in, but their is a repair business in Syracuse, NY that does electrical repairs similar to that. It's called United Radio. Send them an email and see if they can fix it.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
sdegan

Thank you very much for helping me with these information.

My concern was the lights of the TC and ABS and that the ABS module could have gone bad as well.

I have searched the company you suggested and I believe this is the one:
https://www.unitedradio.com/

The other I found and contacted is:
https://www.aesmodules.com/gmc-repair

I will let you know.
Again, thank you very much.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
sdegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
More than likely it's the BCM that is failing causing all of these concerns. If you have found a business that will repair it for you I would get that done and see what happens. I don't know what state you are in, but their is a repair business in Syracuse, NY that does electrical repairs similar to that. It's called United Radio. Send them an email and see if they can fix it.
The suggested repair service, United Radio, is unable to repair the BCM.
Do you have any other suggestion?

Many thanks
Old 05-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #5
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Probably the only options are seeing if you can find one at a salvage yard or seeing if they are available through GM still. Make sure if you get one at a salvage yard, you get the one for whatever engine you have. Supposedly BCM's are different between 4 and 6 cylinder.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Based on my Saturn service manuals, the abs and airbag systems are completely separate dedicated modules, sending their error codes thru the bcm for output to a reader or scantool. Abs has its own indicator as well as the airbag system for general status - if self tests fail at ignition on time or any other time, each will turn on its indicator. When ignition is turned on, lamp tests are performed while each module (ecm, bcm, abs, tcm and airbag system) perform their own power up self tests. If self tests pass, their indicator lights turn off. If turned on, each system failed and generates an error code or more. The bcm transmits error codes to readers/scantools capable of decoding C codes. Most generic readers are not capable and decode generic P codes. As long as either abs or airbag light remain off, each are functioning as designed. Perhaps something in common to abs, airbag, and bcm may be an issue - the electrical system. Main power; battery, battery cables, their connections, drive belt and alternator. If power is compromised, system voltage less than approximately 10 vdc, electronics may become erratic.

Normal battery standby voltage should be around 12.5vdc. Engine idling, 14.5vdc. Early L200 issues suffered from shortened battery cables, the red positive cable. When tugged, the side terminal becomes damaged, slowly leaking battery acid into the terminal eating away at the copper wires crimped to the end and unseen from the heavy duty terminal cover. There may be a hint of battery corrosion, powdery blue deposits, dried battery acid around the terminal. Removing and peeling back the terminal insulation may reveal the extent of severe corrosion ruining the red cable. The battery may have side terminal damage leaking acid.

To date, no one here has ever found a third party electronics repair shop guaranteeing ecm, pcm, bcm repairs. No one. You can search these forums yourself. At one time, early bcm failures resulted in odometer mileage jumping to around 640k as a tell tale of failure among symptoms related to bcm controlling interior/exterior lighting, gauges, indicators, security. Almost every member swearing their chosen repair shop specializing in electronics failed to report any success, zero follow-up posts. Most resort to buying used BCMs, performing the required 30 minute marrying procedure and accepting whatever odometer mileage is stored in BCMs to have a functioning car. Anti tampering laws preclude attempts at altering mileage in used BCMs. Remotes are disabled but a trip to GM will reprogram remotes to the new/used bcm.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
sdegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Based on my Saturn service manuals, the abs and airbag systems are completely separate dedicated modules, sending their error codes thru the bcm for output to a reader or scantool. Abs has its own indicator as well as the airbag system for general status - if self tests fail at ignition on time or any other time, each will turn on its indicator. When ignition is turned on, lamp tests are performed while each module (ecm, bcm, abs, tcm and airbag system) perform their own power up self tests. If self tests pass, their indicator lights turn off. If turned on, each system failed and generates an error code or more. The bcm transmits error codes to readers/scantools capable of decoding C codes. Most generic readers are not capable and decode generic P codes. As long as either abs or airbag light remain off, each are functioning as designed. Perhaps something in common to abs, airbag, and bcm may be an issue - the electrical system. Main power; battery, battery cables, their connections, drive belt and alternator. If power is compromised, system voltage less than approximately 10 vdc, electronics may become erratic.

Normal battery standby voltage should be around 12.5vdc. Engine idling, 14.5vdc. Early L200 issues suffered from shortened battery cables, the red positive cable. When tugged, the side terminal becomes damaged, slowly leaking battery acid into the terminal eating away at the copper wires crimped to the end and unseen from the heavy duty terminal cover. There may be a hint of battery corrosion, powdery blue deposits, dried battery acid around the terminal. Removing and peeling back the terminal insulation may reveal the extent of severe corrosion ruining the red cable. The battery may have side terminal damage leaking acid.

To date, no one here has ever found a third party electronics repair shop guaranteeing ecm, pcm, bcm repairs. No one. You can search these forums yourself. At one time, early bcm failures resulted in odometer mileage jumping to around 640k as a tell tale of failure among symptoms related to bcm controlling interior/exterior lighting, gauges, indicators, security. Almost every member swearing their chosen repair shop specializing in electronics failed to report any success, zero follow-up posts. Most resort to buying used BCMs, performing the required 30 minute marrying procedure and accepting whatever odometer mileage is stored in BCMs to have a functioning car. Anti tampering laws preclude attempts at altering mileage in used BCMs. Remotes are disabled but a trip to GM will reprogram remotes to the new/used bcm.

According to the above I only have two choices, either to send the car to GM with the risk that other controllers may be faulty (e.g. TCM, ABS) with a huge bill, or junk the car.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All the suggested actions appear to be based on your symptoms, but it does not appear that any actual diagnosis has been done. Just all assumptions.

Might I suggest that you get the car checked out with a diagnosis using the Tech 11 scanner. This tool is able to read all the codes that GM vehicles throw up. Your local parts store OBD may not be able to detail or recognise all codes. If you think it may be worthwhile, check to see if there are any Tech 11 scanners on Ebay. You can get clone versions made in China, which do the job, but cost way less than a genuine Tech 11 scanner.

When cars start throwing up Christmas tree lights, it's usually a domino effect and can often be narrowed down to a small number or even a single issue that's causing everything else to go ape *****.

Modern cars which rely on electronics for operation can be very picky about voltages. If they are too low, then all sorts of strange things can happen.

Over time we have seen members with all sorts of issues and it has come down to a battery that's failing or in some instances, the member has found that control units have not been been secured properly or earthing on the car is defective, again causing the issues.

By all means throw money at the problem, that's your prerogative, but a few basic checks and diagnosis may save your bacon.

It's also worth pointing again, that Saturn's are orphan cars. The L series was last produced in 2004/2005 and Saturn as a company has been dead since 2008. GM has slowly pulled Saturn parts within it's dealer network to the point where I would guess there are few 'new' parts available, if any. The your only source is aftermarket or the junkyard. As the L series (which was based on the Opel Vectra B) was not a great seller in the US, there is little mileage for the aftermarket industry to support this vehicle. By contrast, the Opel Vectra B was a huge seller and has a strong aftermarket in Europe. The Saab 9-5 and Saab 9-3 also share many common parts with the L series, mostly brakes, suspension, etc.

Sadly we will get to a point where even the JY's are out of parts and then you only need one unavailable component to fail and the car can no longer be saved. Sad reality!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #9
sdegan

Thank you very much for your message.
I am following your suggestions and test the car with a Tech 11 scanner.
It is weird since the car per se runs well. I wouldn't really be bothered by the 'christmas tree' lights and gauges moving up and down but I am afraid that the car may let me down on the road. By the way the battery is new (but will check that as well).
Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Minor correction - GMs Tech II, not Tech 11. I bought a VCX NANO after seeing my wrench light cycling and unable to decode wrench errors with a generic reader. Not only did it decode the wrench error but displayed other miscellaneous codes that doesn't affect vehicle operation. The wrench code revealed one of my transmission solenoids is becoming faulty. I also took advantage of buying remotes and using my VCX to program them. I'm not suggesting VCX for your consideration, just relating personal experience for one aftermarket TECH II clone that's priced for diyers.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #11
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks for error on the terminology. It is Tech 2 in the roman numeral way. Quite why GM decided to use that is beyond me, but heyho.

With the advent of these smaller plug in modules that act with the smartphone as a code reader, they are powerful tools. My son no longer has the Saturn on my profile, but the site won;t allow me to delete it? So he runs a Volvo which runs fine and my Chevy Suburban just runs and runs. So whether I'd get any mileage out of a code reader for me is debatable.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:41 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

floridasl22002, perhaps sending a private message to Charlie, our one and only admin, should result in updating your profile.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:02 PM   #13
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdegan View Post
According to the above I only have two choices, either to send the car to GM with the risk that other controllers may be faulty (e.g. TCM, ABS) with a huge bill, or junk the car.
RockAuto shows an AC Delco Remanufactured BCM avaiable for $235.
Does required programming.

Also may try this site;
http://bsecorp.com
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan

Last edited by lrbraner; 05-13-2022 at 02:11 PM.
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #14
sdegan

I have ordered a BCU and I was wondering if I can try the procedure (that I do not know but heard about) of vin self assignment using the key switch on and off after a certain period of time. If so can you direct me on how to do it?

I also wanted to know how I can keep the old one working in case the new one does not work. Can I switch it back in case the new one fails?
I do not want to have the car not running anymore. At least with the old one I can still drive, albeit the problems it has.
Thank you
Old 05-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A new blank body control module (BCM) cannot be programmed by anyone unless in possession of GMs Tech II scantool or lower cost aftermarket scantool. Programming invades a specific part of memory chips requiring a scantool capable of communicating to GM modules. This entails a signal or digital voltage sent to a pin on the memory chip to enable sending data to the chip. Simply powering up a bcm doesn't do this. And there are no diy procedures to program VIN or other data like mileage to BCMs. A scantool is needed. You can search but unless there's documentation from anyone attesting to programming BCMs without a scantool, it would be hearsay. Used BCMs retain VIN and mileage with mileage permanent. May here state their electronic shop of choice can change mileage in used BCMs but haven't replied with proof. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Your choices will be a GM dealer, someone with a Tech II or aftermarket scantool or mobile tech with either GM Tech II or appropriate scantool that can program GM modules.

Last edited by fdryer; 05-24-2022 at 04:24 PM.