SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default the old radio speakers trick in the L 100

hi sages- have a question for those who have done a radio speaker(s) job on my basic 01 L100. owned this since new and now has 195k miles. have done most of the work/ repairs myself. replaced the oe am radio in 06 with a sony am fm cassette radio which still works fine but speakers sometime go in and out. where are the speakers in this model? and how do you get them out without busting up the plastic ? not sure how many. haynes and chiltons are useless. appears to be a speaker in lower portion of each front door and others in the upper front of those doors . doesnt seem to be any in the dash. think it is just a standard set up . didnt buy any optional boom boom blasters when i ordered the car. is it a cinch or a dirty wet dog to replace the speakers? thanks tons bob f ps- radio shop jockey wanted $350. advised him i wanted a new cadillac.
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: the old radio speakers trick in the L 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
replaced the oe am radio in 06 with a sony am fm cassette radio which still works fine but speakers sometime go in and out.
You may have damaged wires between the door and the center pillar. This is a weak point especially within the looms to the rear doors. It's happened to me at both of my rear doors, but not at the same time. It also damaged wiring to the left rear door lock mechanism.

Replacing the speakers is straight forward if you're using OEM replacement speakers (if they're available). The upper tweeters occasionally fail. I've replaced one of them. The lower speakers - woofers - utilize a paper cone which goes bad due to dry rot over time and could be the source of your problem. If you're using aftermarket lower door speakers then you'll need to adapt the connecting wires as I had to do when I replaced mine with tougher, and higher wattage speakers. In that instance I soldered the wires to the contacts at the speakers. My Haynes manual had perfectly usable information to replace the speakers. You definitely want to have a door panel trim remover tool - it's a must have to do any work inside of the doors.

If you need information from a manual to replace the speakers please send a P/M with an email address. I'll be happy to forward it to you.
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi pierrot- very good to hear from you. your advice is good . figured i would have to take the door panels off. suspected it would be hellacious. want to keep the sony operating b/c figure it is the best radio cassette . do have a trim removal tool. very possible that the original paper speakers have crapped out in the door(so 2 speakers in door? tweeter on top and woofer on bottom . would appreciate you emailing me the haynes instruction page which helped you with the speaker replacement- callpaladin@aol.com). doubt oem speakers are still available. will also recheck my haynes for the 2000-04 L saturn. thanks tons bob f
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
hi sages- have a question for those who have done a radio speaker(s) job on my basic 01 L100. owned this since new and now has 195k miles. have done most of the work/ repairs myself. replaced the oe am radio in 06 with a sony am fm cassette radio which still works fine but speakers sometime go in and out. where are the speakers in this model? and how do you get them out without busting up the plastic ? not sure how many. haynes and chiltons are useless. appears to be a speaker in lower portion of each front door and others in the upper front of those doors . doesnt seem to be any in the dash. think it is just a standard set up . didnt buy any optional boom boom blasters when i ordered the car. is it a cinch or a dirty wet dog to replace the speakers? thanks tons bob f ps- radio shop jockey wanted $350. advised him i wanted a new cadillac.
Go to Crutchfield, they have tons of info and speaker offerings.
https://www.crutchfield.com/car/outfitmycar/mycar.aspx
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:33 PM   #5
bigcougar
bigcougar is on a distinguished road

I have changed speakers on my LW1 twice.

In my case I had to cut out the original speakers out from their plastic frame, then attach the new speaker to that frame, so I could finally mount the speaker to the door. Otherwise the speaker mounting holes will not match those in the door.

Removing the front inside door panel is not complicated, but you have to be careful with all plastic parts, since at this age they are more brittle and clips may break off. The triangular plastic pieces in the front door corners by the side mirrors need to be handled with care. Having spare door panel clips before starting is also a good idea.

I wondered why my speakers fail and my guess is that during rain water gets inside the door, probably making contact with the wiring and the speakers.
bigcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
hi pierrot- ...would appreciate you emailing me the haynes instruction page which helped you with the speaker replacement- callpaladin@aol.com). doubt oem speakers are still available. will also recheck my haynes for the 2000-04 L saturn....
I apologize as I hadn't been keeping up with the threads I'd be replying to recently. I'll send a P/M soon.
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote