SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
JonJon
JonJon will become famous soon enoughJonJon will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default SL-1 wiring issues?

Not really sure what to say. Warning lights are turning off and on randomly.

A while back, the battery light began to go on and off, I suspected the alternator and replaced it. It performed well for a while then began again. I replaced the battery just last Saturday as it was EXTREMELY weak on cold starts. Almost didn't start at all. The battery was exactly 3 years old.

It's starting much better with the new battery, but the oil, brake lights, and radiator fluid level warning all come on at random times, never together and go away within 20 or 30 seconds.

To give a bit of a hint, when driving at night over the summer, when the battery light came on, the headlights were noticeably brighter and the A/C would blow harder.

Just a very mysterious problem. Is this a bad harness somewhere or a grounding issue, or what? I'm starting to think whatever the issue is, it might have killed the battery prematurely.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
weiss27md
weiss27md is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default Re: SL-1 wiring issues?

Any CELs? I would check any obvious cuts in the wiring harness under the hood and inside the car through the center console. Also make sure you're battery is grounded good and the engine also.
weiss27md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

check the positive battery cable for wear and good grounding.
sounds like u may have some bad grounds, otherwise.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
JonJon
JonJon will become famous soon enoughJonJon will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Thanks for weighing in, I'm starting to think more and more that It's probably a grounding issue. Not long after this, the battery light has started flickering 5 or 6 times in quick succession and then going away completely. Like really flickering. Faster than a turn signal when one bulb is out.

I'll go home tonight and look at the grounds at the postive and negative cable. Maybe even get underneath the car and check the connection at the starter I replaced a little over a year ago. What other common grounds should I look out for?
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Um, "ground" only refers to negative. But indeed, you should check / clean up both. Also check the connection from the positive battery cable to the underhood junction box, the connection at the alternator main wire, and the fusible link between the alternator and the starter.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Medic-5150
Medic-5150 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I've had a similar issue as well. Battery light came on, but only during certain RPM ranges. Battery died and both were replaced. My coolant light also flashes. As mentioned, I checked the main ground off the negative terminal on the engine block and it's clean and tight as is the positive terminal. the alternator wiring was clean and tight when I installed in a couple weeks ago as well.

Now my car sporadically won't start. As soon as I turn the key to crank the engine all power cuts out and everything shuts off. once the clock comes back on it may start or it may cut out again....when it starts it starts just fine....Any suggestions?

sorry if I high jacked this thread, it seems like a similar issue and I didn't see any use to start a new thread. Let me know if you would prefer I start my own thread
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Cow-What A Ride!
Medic-5150 is offline   Reply With Quote