SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
cody.a.mumford
cody.a.mumford is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default I love my saturn but

I'm freaking sick of her. This year I've had to replace my battery, battery cables, starter, alternator, and ECTS. AND she is still not turning over/ starting. Could it be the CPS or the fuel pump? I'm a college student/delivery driver and I cannot deal with an unreliable car anymore. If you have any ideas post em. I'll be very appreciative.
cody.a.mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Re: I love my saturn but

How's the fuel pressure? Fuel filter been replaced?
Current:

1999 SC2, 198,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

"Not turning over" - so when it doesn't start, you mean it doesn't do anything when you turn the key? Do you hear a click anywhere, under the dash or under the hood? Automatic or manual transmission?

BTW, your member name consists of the names of two Detroit high schools....
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

the solenoid is definitely engaging, but that baby won't turn over!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

She will turn on, lights come on and so does the radio. The engine however will not turn over and lemme back out of the freaking parking lot. I turn the key in the ignition to start it, but the solenoid just keeps clicking.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If it's not turning over (spinning the engine) then it can't be anything outside of a battery, cable or starter problem unless the engine is seized. Easiest to try fixing is corroded battery cables, both on the battery ends and on the body/not-battery ends.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

I didn't replace my positive battery cable... I looked inside the battery part to see if it was corroded and it wasn't. That starter is brand new too. How do I tell if the engine is seized? The battery has been tested like every week too.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
taatman
Advanced Member
taatman is on a distinguished road

Take a test light, and see if you're getting power to your solenoid on the starter. If you are, tap the solenoid/starter and then try to start. There is a chance your starter could be bad. If you hear a clicking noise on the starter, don't go chasing parts. Find out why.
96 SC2 - 137k - AUTO.
94 SL2 - 200k? + 2nd owner AUTO
taatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.a.mumford View Post
I didn't replace my positive battery cable... I looked inside the battery part to see if it was corroded and it wasn't. That starter is brand new too. How do I tell if the engine is seized? The battery has been tested like every week too.
Before going for test equipment do this, turn on headlights before attempting to start car and be sure you can see the reflection of the lights in something or get an observer. Now crank engine and watch the lights, do they get dim or go out? If the starter actually cranks the engine that is not what you are looking for you want to be checking the headlights when it does not crank but the solenoid clicks. This could be a bad positive or ground cable but it is 1 or the other or both as long as the starter is good.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

Yeah checked the lights it seems like there is still bad ground issues. I guess I should've replaced my positive cable when I did my negative the other day. Is there any other cable aside from that one that can affect my saturn. I know part of it runs to the starter which is where it must've gone bad? This is irritating.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

ive had a fuel pump go on me in an sl2 not fun tried to fix myself bad idea, had to pay a mechanic to re do it it ran for like a day then broke again wouldnt start
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

The lights dim* which is a sign of bad ground right?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

the lights dimming, but the engine not cranking is a sign of weak battery or dirty connectons. If you're sure that those things are operating correctly, suspect a fuel delivery problem. Before you start the car, turn the key to run, and listen for the fuel pump. It should be a slight humming sound, you'll need to be in a garage or quiet street to be sure.
Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do. -- www.prussianmotors.com
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

You're indicating the lights dim but the starter will not make the engine rotate is this correct? This MIGHT be a bad/faulty/dirty connection, a bad battery (especially if you're getting a clicking), and if you're not cautious about oil level who knows a seized engine. As for people sending you down the path of fuel I don't know why. This will have nothing to do with the starter's inability to rotate the engine. Now IF the engine IS rotating and not STARTING than you could need to chase down fuel or ignition issues. The issue here (especially so on this thread) is people post the words "crank", and "turn over" in wrong context.
An engine that is "cranking" or "turning over" means the starter motor when energized is causing the engine to rotate.
So OP you may need to correct your actual description of this issue.
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

...is this happening with the temp gauge at least at the 1/4 line or higher? if so, suspect fouled starter and a replacement is imminent.
97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.a.mumford View Post
Yeah checked the lights it seems like there is still bad ground issues. I guess I should've replaced my positive cable when I did my negative the other day. Is there any other cable aside from that one that can affect my saturn. I know part of it runs to the starter which is where it must've gone bad? This is irritating.
Lights dim is a sign of a high resistance connection. As you have replaced the ground that leaves the positive cable. The small red wire to the UHJB is what operates the solenoid and the large wire goes down to the starter. The lights are fed from the small red wire and if the lights dim but the starter does not crank then the positive cable at the battery is shot.

Keep in mind that new starters have been known to be defective as well so you may have 2 problems but you are not going to find out until the positive cable is replaced.

This problem is almost always the positive cable and not the ground cable.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
silv01
silv01 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

To see if the engine is siedes, follow this easy step:

Check the oil.

BTW, If your car wont crnk, it could be the fuel filter. Mine had the same problem, and that was it.
silv01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
cody.a.mumford

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
...is this happening with the temp gauge at least at the 1/4 line or higher? if so, suspect fouled starter and a replacement is imminent.
It seems like it is happening all the time, but I will say that I need a jump in order to get her whenever the temp is 1/4 or higher. Usually whenever it's an absolute cold start it will take a couple seconds to start, but it does. I guess the best thing to do is to get another positive cable first then I'll have to check the starter. Glad I got the warranty on that...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

First, replace the positive cable. Why? Because the starter is relatively new and should not be heat soaking and the cable is easier to replace.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
The issue here (especially so on this thread) is people post the words "crank", and "turn over" in wrong context.
An engine that is "cranking" or "turning over" means the starter motor when energized is causing the engine to rotate. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv01
BTW, If your car wont crnk, it could be the fuel filter. Mine had the same problem, and that was it.
Not picking on you, silv01, just that you happened to be the one who most recently posted on fuel issues.

I can drain every last drop of gas from my car, remove every fuel line, cut my spark plug wires, remove the fuel filter, fuel pump, and gas tank from my car... and the engine in my car will still "crank" - the starter will engage the engine and cause it to rotate, or "turn over" - fuel has nothing to do with an engine "cranking" but without fuel, the engine will not start or run

Quote:
As for people sending you down the path of fuel I don't know why. This will have nothing to do with the starter's inability to rotate the engine. Now IF the engine IS rotating and not STARTING than you could need to chase down fuel or ignition issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.a.mumford
I will say that I need a jump in order to get her whenever the temp is 1/4 or higher. Usually whenever it's an absolute cold start it will take a couple seconds to start, but it does.
Quote:
So OP you may need to correct your actual description of this issue
So you are saying it will start when jumped? Now, after reading every single post on this thread, I still don't know if your issue is:

1) Engine will crank/turn over but not start on its own, but will start if jumped, or

2) Engine will not crank/turn over, turn key, solenoid clicks but nothing else happens other than the headlights dim (no other sounds, actions, no usual "whir, whir" of the engine rotating but not starting)
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote