SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 06-25-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
cherri
cherri is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Possessed Electronics

So I have an issue with a 2007 Saturn Ion. I have an appointment to have it checked out and have two recalls replaced or whatever in a few days but I think I need as much help as I can get. I've gotten some advice that sounds pretty decent but I want to check here as well.
Check engine light is on, but not flashing. The car starts fine and drives well still. The issue lies in the electronics I believe. A few years ago (2?) the battery was replaced after the security alarm starting randomly activating, just as it pleased I suppose. That seemed to fix the issue. Around 9 months ago I went to start it and the power steering went out. I didn't mess with it for a while. (It's really my sister's car so she was in charge, I let it be). When you start the car, the exterior lights will flash randomly, doors will lock themselves as many times as they possibly can, power steering will go in and out when it so chooses, windows will roll up and down, and the speedometer can't decide if I'm going 50mph or not moving at all when I drive.
The power steering was replaced in 2014 after the recall and has worked fine other than this possession. The other two recalls have to do with the ignition switch. There are also no aftermarket electronics in the car. These recalls have been confirmed by GM using the VIN.
I was told my step-dad replaced some part of the computer brain (I don't know too much about cars, obviously) but that did not resolve any of the issues or seem to create any more.

Codes picked up with OBD2 scanner:
P0315
P0700
P2544
U0101
P0315 (again?)
P0700 (again)
U0101 (again)

P0604
P0604 (again)

Suggestions I've gotten:
-Check ground wires (?) I'll have to look that up. Seems that's a common source of problems.
-Have a test done with an oscilloscope, sounds expensive, I'd like to exhaust other options first.
-Check the alternator. Again, seems like a common issue. Will have that looked at.
-Check for loose harnesses at fuse box. I'll try.
-Check battery power. Was replaced semi-recently but I will have it tested.

I really am just looking for any other suggestions I can ask about or things I can have tested. I haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet since I was out of town but as mentioned, it will be checked out in a few days.
I have searched everywhere I can think of for answers or anyone else experiencing these issues but have come up seemingly empty-handed. I really do appreciate any responses to this and would like to know if any of you have seen issues similar to this.

Thanks!!!
cherri is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Possessed Electronics

P0315 is related to the crankshaft sensor.

P0700 is an error from the xmission; P2544 Code - Torque Management Request Input Signal 'A', U0101 SATURN Code Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module - AutoCodes

P0604 SATURN Code - Control Module Random Access Memory

These may or may not be false error codes as a possible result of meddling with the pcm, the engine control module or possible electrical issues related to battery/battery cables/connections/grounds. With a relatively new battery, have the battery and charging system checked at AutoZone or your favorite auto store selling car batteries as they should have testing equipment for free analysis of battery and charging system in the parking lot.

Battery voltage on standby should be around 12.5vdc. Alternator output with engine idling should be around 14.5vdc; below 13vdc may hint of alternator/its connections/ loose drive belt.

The Xmas lights may be a body control module (BCM) issue. The bcm does almost everything unrelated to the pcm running the engine. The bcm controls lighting inside and outside, instrument panel lights/gauges/indicators, remote keyless system, odometer mileage, gateway for passing error codes from all modules (pcm, bcm, abs, airbag, hvac) to the OBD II port.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote