SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
2002_SL2
2002_SL2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 2002 SL 2, service & brake warning after radiator replacement

Had the SL2 in to have the radiator replaced- cracked side tank. Driven home 1/2 mile & parked. No issues. When started 4 days later, the warning lights on the dash lit-up, red brake and amber service "wrench" both. Plugged-in a OBD-2 reader, no codes. Then tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. No change, lights still come on as soon as the car starts and no OBD-2 codes are in the system. There were no warning lights or codes prior to the radiator service. Help!
2002_SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2002 SL 2, service & brake warning after radiator replacement

Manual or automatic?
Emergency brake ON?
Have you checked brake fluid level?
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
2002_SL2

2002 SL2

Emergency brake is definitely off. Just changed the brake fluid by sucking-out the reservoir & refilling. I'll check to verify, but it should be full.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Brake light is either low fluid sensed or the parking brake sensor says "on". When paired with an (ABS) light it means something has happened to the ABS system. Doesn't set a code, and with my 1st & 2nd gens operator created ABS "issues" (fuse pulling, relay pulling, electronic part of ABS 99% pulled...lol) didn't set the brake light on.

The Service (Wrench) light is mostly only for bulbs out in the cluster...which could be the ABS bulb if the car is equipped with ABS and it doesn't come on for the key-on bulb test. Generally sets a code but most cheap readers don't have GM's Extended code set ability and can't read them.

Last edited by fetchitfido; 03-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002_SL2 View Post
Emergency brake is definitely off. Just changed the brake fluid by sucking-out the reservoir & refilling. I'll check to verify, but it should be full.
You don't change the brake fluid that way!

You FLUSH the whole system adding new fluid. It's the same as bleeding the brakes. You are adding new fluid to the reservoir, then bleeding each corner until the new fluid shows through. At no time do you let the reservoir get empty.

I sense from what you have said that you have sucked out the reservoir fluid to the point where air has gotten into the system. It sounds like it needs bleeding. Have you noticed anything different on the pedal pressure at all?
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
2002_SL2

2002 SL2

And it's an automatic w/ 151,000 miles, BTW.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
2002_SL2

2002 SL2

floridasl22002, yeah, I know that's not the best way to change the fluid, but its below freezing here in Delaware and I lack a garage (which is why I had a shop change the radiator). BTW, no ABS system. Drove the car for a couple of miles and nothing felt different with the brake pedal. One more light did come on, the "Service Soon" light, and again I checked the OBD-2 codes, but still nothing is posting. I guess I'll have to take the car to someone to bleed the brakes and change the fluid.

The reason that I tried putting fluid in the reservoir was the fluid had turned black and wanted to get some fresh fluid in the system, but it's too cold to crawl around under the car in my driveway.

Weird- I've had Hondas that I had driven more than 200,000 miles and never saw black brake fluid before.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Normal DOT-3 brake fluid comes as light honey colored. When moisture is absorbed thru the vented cap on the master cylinder, fluid turns dark. The cap has a channel in the plastic thread so venting occurs thru the rubber gasket from a fine slit in the middle of the gasket. Squeezing the gasket will reveal the fine slit.

As long as the master cylinder wasn't exercised when sucking out old fluid, air isn't likely to get into the chambers below the fluid reservoir where the piston rests in home position. This doesn't get rid of old fluid in the brake lines, rear wheel cylinders or calipers. And as long as brakes feel fine, no sponginess when applying brakes, air isn't in the system. A general rule of thumb for Saturn brakes; when caliper brake pads are replaced, replace brake fluid with a complete flush/ bleed procedure. This ensures the brake system has all new fluid everywhere. The cost of a quart of DOT-3 brake fluid is five dollars if a person is diyer and capable of flushing/bleeding brakes at home. Add hourly labor rates and marked up brake fluid ands repair shops will probably charge around a hundred dollars unless there are specials like spring/summer/fall tune-ups for discounts.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #9
2002_SL2

2002 SL2

fdryer, thanks for the info. I've bled brakes before- my old pickup had a line that rusted out and after replacing it, successfully bled-out all the air. And I've replaced a couple of master cylinders. As for the Saturn, the piston was not moved as I used a turkey baster to suck-out the fluid, so I don't know how air could have gotten in the system.

I'll try driving the car around town to see if the problem with the instrument lights goes away. If not, I guess I'll have someone look at it. There is a shop here in town that used to be a Saturn dealership, but is now independent- I've used them for things that I feel need the expertise of a place that is familiar w/ Saturns.