SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 10-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
MoonshineSpaz
MoonshineSpaz is on a distinguished road

Default What is this????

Just bought an 08 Astra XE. Been a while since I owned a Saturn. Had to replace the valve cover cuz of the valve inside the cover was bad. While I was looking at stuff I noticed something. IDK what the heck was supposed to be plugged into it if anything at all. It's a little further down on the side of the block from the fuel rail. Has some kinda canister attached to it and looks like some kind of plug is supposed to be plugged into it but there is no pins inside the female side. CEL is on with a fuel system lean and a MAF code. The air filter definitely needs to be replaced and I will replace that and clean the MAF sensor tomorrow after I get paid....just want to know what the heck it is supposed to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211006_091741179.jpg (164.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211006_091640283.jpg (180.0 KB, 19 views)
MoonshineSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: What is this????

I think there is an unused plug at the drivers side top of the engine; common wire harness used for several engines. I'll check tomorrow if someone else doesn't get there first.

What are the codes? Auto or manual transmission?

Whilst you are on the intake system, these cars run much better after cleaning the throttlebody. You don't need to remove it to clean but be careful with fingers and the strong springs. The most important parts to clean are the edges of the butterfly and the parts of the tube the butterfly nearly contacts. Idle works best when that tiny circumference is unclogged. MAF sensor cleaner might not be strong enough and carburetor/brake cleaner could destroy throttlebody coatings; use throttlebody cleaner & a microfibre rag.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
MoonshineSpaz
MoonshineSpaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
I think there is an unused plug at the drivers side top of the engine; common wire harness used for several engines. I'll check tomorrow if someone else doesn't get there first.

What are the codes? Auto or manual transmission?

Whilst you are on the intake system, these cars run much better after cleaning the throttlebody. You don't need to remove it to clean but be careful with fingers and the strong springs. The most important parts to clean are the edges of the butterfly and the parts of the tube the butterfly nearly contacts. Idle works best when that tiny circumference is unclogged. MAF sensor cleaner might not be strong enough and carburetor/brake cleaner could destroy throttlebody coatings; use throttlebody cleaner & a microfibre rag.
It's on the far right side of the intake manifold opposite side of the throttle body if that helps
MoonshineSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #4
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Just visually confirmed that we have the same connector on our Saturn Astra XE and that it is not connected to anything. For clarity, it is located to the left of the battery, back close to the firewall. I recall some posts in UK forums noting that the same harness was used for several engines.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
Big_Mike
Big_Mike is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Can you post the codes that you have? If you check out the below video, I had quite a few codes when I first picked up my car. Including a P0068, P0420, and a P2096. I think the bulk of the issue I had was someone had replaced a clamp with a ziptie but while I was in there I did clean the Mass Air Flow sensor and the Throttle body. There's jump points in the video if the codes match.

Saturn Astra Check Engine Lights
https://youtu.be/waETYu7cbx8
A wise man once tried to teach me, one project car at a time. It never stuck.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAiSHC8Yivs05mQnxYjx2iA
2008 Saturn Astra XR 2DR
Big_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote