SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
hydroxyman
hydroxyman is on a distinguished road

Default Manual Transmission only goes 1st 3rd and 5th

Ok here goes. I'll try and give as many details as I can....
SC2 2001, I was driving and starting from a stop light when shifting from 1st to 2nd the shifter felt like something was blocking it from going into second.
1st thought was shredded cables, as I've already replaced a set with a set out of a used car that was involved in a crash.
I was able however to shift from 1st to 3rd and 5th. When stopped at home I could not get the car to go into 2nd 4th or reverse.
The Car had engine replaced on Saturn's dime back in the day due to metal in the oil. Paid them to replace the clutch and other related parts. Car has over 200k on it.
Pulled the cup holder out and looked straight down and see the right cable looked to be slack and kinked some what.
Pulled the cables today to find that the cable actually are not shredded, but after reading the forums think that it might be what others had experienced with a worn grommet on the end of the one cable. So being they where a used set anyhow I ordered a set of cables.
Wondering if I should also replace the clutch master and slave cylinder as well. I don't think saturn would have replaced those when I had them do the other work back in the day.

Also wondering if anyone knows about the movement on the back of the transmission as I was wondering if the cables kinked because something got stuck on the transmission. The one lever moves 3 places and other lever only moves in Fwd and Aft when in the 2nd position.
hydroxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2
Default Re: Manual Transmission only goes 1st 3rd and 5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroxyman View Post
Ok here goes. I'll try and give as many details as I can....
SC2 2001, I was driving and starting from a stop light when shifting from 1st to 2nd the shifter felt like something was blocking it from going into second.
1st thought was shredded cables, as I've already replaced a set with a set out of a used car that was involved in a crash.
I was able however to shift from 1st to 3rd and 5th. When stopped at home I could not get the car to go into 2nd 4th or reverse.
The Car had engine replaced on Saturn's dime back in the day due to metal in the oil. Paid them to replace the clutch and other related parts. Car has over 200k on it.
Pulled the cup holder out and looked straight down and see the right cable looked to be slack and kinked some what.
Pulled the cables today to find that the cable actually are not shredded, but after reading the forums think that it might be what others had experienced with a worn grommet on the end of the one cable. So being they where a used set anyhow I ordered a set of cables.
Wondering if I should also replace the clutch master and slave cylinder as well. I don't think saturn would have replaced those when I had them do the other work back in the day.

Also wondering if anyone knows about the movement on the back of the transmission as I was wondering if the cables kinked because something got stuck on the transmission. The one lever moves 3 places and other lever only moves in Fwd and Aft when in the 2nd position.
Good choice, by checking the shift cables first. These are USUALLY the FIRST thing that causes this issue.

Secondly, the master cylinder and slave cylinder only need replaced, IF they go bad or leak. They are not failure prone, and rarely go bad. They are not a "normal wear/tear item" on the car. So, I wouldn't mess with what is not broken.

As far as the actuator levers, that are connected to the cables, one is your 1-3-5/2-4-R, and the other is similar to a Low/High on a Tractor-Trailer manual gear box. The reason the 1-3-5 work, and 2-4-R do NOT work, is that second actuator is not moving into position.

As you shift from 1-2, 3-4, or into R while parked, BOTH cables are moving. If you were to ideally watch the cables, under the car, you will see the first actuator is in the same position for 1 & 2, but the second actuator moves. This is the same for 3 & 4, and 5/REV.

You can try to get a set of used bushings, or order stainless steel ones(which is the best route)

You should also confirm the shifter linkage, under the console, and verify that it moves correctly as well, in a similar fashion to the actuators on the transmission.
"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
hydroxyman

I've got a set of cables coming due on tuesday. I'll update when installation is complete.
thanks for the input.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Jon Boy
Jon Boy has a spectacular aura aboutJon Boy has a spectacular aura aboutJon Boy has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

I had the opposite problem just the other day. One of my shifter cables broke, and after replacing it, I could only get into 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I just needed to fiddle with the cables a bit to get it fixed. Here's my thread.
Jon Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
hydroxyman

replaced cables, and it shifted fine.... takes a little bit to get the cables to loosen up and work smooth but it shifts again.