SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #21
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: The last Saturn Astra owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
The only things I've had to do, other than regular maintenance, is (1) ball joint, a new flex pipe, a few screws/washers to reattach the heat shields, and replacement of a noisy HVAC fan (still worked, but I think it had become unbalanced). Other than that, it's just been sparkplugs, oil changes, a timing belt, brake pads, tires, and shocks/struts.
Dang, no coilpack yet? Almost seems like a regular maintenance item for the Astra based on the forum chatter.
SOLD - '08 Astra XE 5-speed
'02 Saturn SC2 DOHC 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
'69 Lotus Europa
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #22
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enoughmaschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Oh, and I would love to be the last Astra owner, but I just moved to the salty Midwest and it's my daily driver sooooo we'll see how that goes.
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
'69 Lotus Europa
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
Dang, no coilpack yet? Almost seems like a regular maintenance item for the Astra based on the forum chatter.
Still on my original coil pack, no issues.
2009 Saturn Astra XR, 140,000 km
2018 Chevy Traverse Redline 52,000 km

Past vehicles:

2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - Sold
2008 Saturn Outlook XR 280,000 km - Sold
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #24
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I pre-emptively replaced my coilpack at 77,000 miles, but it was still fine. I keep my OEM one in my trunk in case I'm ever away from home and have a problem with the one that is installed. It's the one spare part I carry with me now that I'm approaching 100,000 miles.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #25
carldc
carldc is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA Green Line

Still have mine. Six full years as of tomorrow. Only 33k miles. So I'm still in the running.
'96 SL2 > '01 SC2 > '08 Astra XR > '16 Buick Cascada
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #26
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
and replacement of a noisy HVAC fan (still worked, but I think it had become unbalanced)
Check out this and UK forums relating to the HVAC fan. I think the issue is that rain water makes it easily from the windshield area into the fan and then the passenger-side floor, especially when the car is parked at a slight incline.

Last winter when I was replacing the HVAC fan resistor pack, I noticed my HVAC fan motor was quite oxidized. So I replaced it with one from a low mileage junker; that also had some oxidation so I disassembled and lubricated the motor.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 AM   #27
Car Astra
Car Astra is on a distinguished road

I've got almost 250k kms on my 2008 astra. I replaced the engine at about 209k. It was cheaper to replace it than to fix. It cost me 3k cdn to replace it with a used engine I bought off ebay. The engine itself only had a couple thousand kms on it and I bought it for about 600 plus shipping.
Car Astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
Check out this and UK forums relating to the HVAC fan. I think the issue is that rain water makes it easily from the windshield area into the fan and then the passenger-side floor, especially when the car is parked at a slight incline.

Last winter when I was replacing the HVAC fan resistor pack, I noticed my HVAC fan motor was quite oxidized. So I replaced it with one from a low mileage junker; that also had some oxidation so I disassembled and lubricated the motor.
Yeah, I picked one up from a wrecked car with about 40,000 miles on it for $25 or something like that. It would have been an easy fix if I had known that removing the cabin air filter door gives easy access to the wiring connections for the blower motor.
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #29
maschinenbauer

2008 Astra XE

Welp, I just got rear-ended last night and Veronica isn't looking so good. I'm uninjured and it still runs and drive just fine, but a back door doesn't close all the way.

It's not official yet, but I'm afraid I might be out of the running for the last Saturn Astra owner.

I'll post pictures of the wreckage after insurance dealings are all cleared up. If it's totaled and if the price is right, I might buy it back and keep driving it on a salvage title, or part it out for the greater good of the Saturn population.
It's a 5-speed with 70,000 miles. So young. So tragic.
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup
'69 Lotus Europa
Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #30
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Welp, I just got rear-ended last night and Veronica isn't looking so good. I'm uninjured and it still runs and drive just fine, but a back door doesn't close all the way.

It's not official yet, but I'm afraid I might be out of the running for the last Saturn Astra owner.

I'll post pictures of the wreckage after insurance dealings are all cleared up. If it's totaled and if the price is right, I might buy it back and keep driving it on a salvage title, or part it out for the greater good of the Saturn population.
That's too bad. But I'm glad you're ok. Hopefully the Astra will end up being ok too.
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #31
toughtobeat
toughtobeat is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I still have my 2008 Saturn Astra XR. It has about 181k miles on it and going strong. I just replaced the camshaft actuator solenoids, the catalytic converter, the brakes, and put new tires on it. About $2k in maintenance overall. Still running strong after all these years. :-)
toughtobeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #32
saxybiker
saxybiker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hi, I'm new here as well. I have an Astra, badged as an Opel with 120,000 miles on it. I bought it 2 1/2 years ago and have been driving the heck out of it. I LOVE IT!

I just had the timing belt, serpentine belt and waterpump replaced and the dealer tells me I need both O2 sensors and the vacuum purge valve replaced to make the check engine light go out. I think the O2 sensors are pretty straight forward, but I can't locate the purge valve. Where is it?

My plan is to drive this car until its useful life is done. It replaced a Honda del Sol that I drove for 220,000 miles. I figure I should get at least that much out of the Astra.

Allen
saxybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #33
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtobeat View Post
Hi everyone. I'm new here. I still have my 2008 Saturn Astra XR. It has about 181k miles on it and going strong. I just replaced the camshaft actuator solenoids, the catalytic converter, the brakes, and put new tires on it. About $2k in maintenance overall. Still running strong after all these years. :-)
Welcome to the forum! Please contribute or feel free to ask questions
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #34
mbowsher
mbowsher is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hey Everyone, new guy here!
I just purchased a 2008 Astra XE...um 5 door I guess?
I have always been strangely fond of little hatchbacks but was somewhat disappointed by the lack of diversity in the style. I found this gal at a dealership in Ohio for $6k USD with 70k Miles on her. I loved the style and had never heard of the model let alone seen many on the road. The reviews sounded extremely promising as a daily driver for a new dad with a van and suv at home for the long hauls. Even with never serving in the military, I decided to throw some cash at a dealer and live with the orange glowing 24 Hour clock.
I've had "Piper" for about 2,000 miles and love everything about her...except for the check engine light that came on 5 days after purchase and the $700 ignition coils that subsequently went into her. Until signing up for this forum, I was slightly annoyed at that diagnosis.
Outside of what is apparently routine maintenance for Astras, I'm a huge fan of this little gal and plan on playing around with the CID housing and a few tablets I have laying around and driving her until she gives up on Columbus, Ohio winter roads.
mbowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #35
saxybiker
saxybiker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I'm also in Ohio, but near Cleveland. I drive my little Astra, "Astrid" for work and trips to Chicago, because it is so easy to park.

My Astra also has the check engine light problem, then started missfiring on #3 plug. I didn't want to spend the crazy $ GM wants for the coil pack, so I went on ebay and found that there is a guy selling them for ~ $50. I figured, why not, so I bought it and put it in myself. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

If you look around the internet you will find a lot of good information on how to fix these little beasts. After all - they are built by Opel! Mine even has Opel badges on it, which makes it cool and unique.

If you ever see a silver Astra with Opel badges on it zipping past you (I really run this little car hard), honk and wave. I drive to Columbus weekly. Maybe we get a chance to hoist a beer together!

Allen

Last edited by saxybiker; 02-25-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
saxybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #36
Wallbright
Wallbright is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm curious, what ended up happening? I hope that by continuing to post on the forum that means she lived but if you could put my fears to rest....
Wallbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #37
carldc

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA Green Line

Well, I hate to say it, but I'm out after 6.5 years and 35.5k miles. I traded in the Astra this afternoon as I got my Buick Cascada. One last pic of the old Astra alongside the new Cascada attached.

The Cascada is VERY familiar. It has the same origins in the Opel Astra as my Saturn did, so I'm still with you all in spirit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-Astra-New-Cascada.jpg (65.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #38
astranh
astranh is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I've had an astra since 2008 and I'll be keeping the astra for a very long time. probably with a new engine in the near future because who doesn't want more power.
I've been thinking about doing an engine swap as well on my Astra if I get another vehicle, it's a nice car but I think it could be better..like maybe a v6 turbo if it will fit?
astranh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #39
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

The Cascada is still 99.5% Astra so you have to stay here a bit longer and give us your initial review on the car. Would love to have one but pricing is quite steep for an around town car for me - cars get eaten up here in Toronto. Especially interested to know if the engine is up to the task as the 1.6l Opel engines in Europe are well thought of. Reviews on this side of the Atlantic indicate that it might be a bit slow but for real people it might be fast enough.

interested in hearing your views.
crzyalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #40
carldc

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyalbo View Post
The Cascada is still 99.5% Astra so you have to stay here a bit longer and give us your initial review on the car. Would love to have one but pricing is quite steep for an around town car for me - cars get eaten up here in Toronto. Especially interested to know if the engine is up to the task as the 1.6l Opel engines in Europe are well thought of. Reviews on this side of the Atlantic indicate that it might be a bit slow but for real people it might be fast enough.

interested in hearing your views.
Yes, it's an Astra in all but name. Know what?... the moment I sat in one for a test drive, I immediately thought, "This is familiar...I know this!" (That's when I knew I was buying).

Yes, the center stack is very different, and yes it's much fancier (and of course, it's a convertible), but the general size, shape and design of the driver's area is clearly...Astra. All the text and markings (though often in different places) are either similar or identical as well. And like the Astra, the Tach is calibrated in 10s X 100 (as opposed to the 1s X 1000 that I've found in almost every other car).

I haven't yet put it through any strenuous tests, but it IS somewhat peppier than the Astra. I don't think it'll make for a good drag racer, but it should be fine for highway cruising (and does seem to accelerate better at low speeds than the Astra does). Related to that, it seems to cruise at a lower RPM than did the Astra (~1500 at low speeds).

Gas mileage is disappointing though. I knew that going in. It's rated 20/27mpg -- which is about right. From what I can tell, if I baby it, I might be able to coax about 29-30mpg -- with effort. You all know the Astra is 24/32mpg -- I was able to average 33mpg on mine, with long stretches of 35 or more mpg.

It is definitely a lot more expensive than the Astra. In fact, I paid more than I did for my last two cars combined. However, I got a good enough trade-in that, along with some GM incentives that I had not been aware of (educator discount, and a bizarre incentive for my wife owning a non-GM car), and with some other money I was fortunate to come into, I could afford it (though it did take a BIG chunk out of my bank account...it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing for me...can't do this over and over!).

Had Saturn survived, I can easily see this being the Saturn Cascada or Saturn Astra Convertible.

I still consider myself part of the Astra family with this car, so I'm sure I'll be around here for some time to come .