SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Does left axle removal require fluid drain?

I noticed that AllData states you should drain the transmission fluid before removing the left drive axle. Is this necessary? I've never had to do this in other vehicles.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Does left axle removal require fluid drain?

Yes, must drain if pulling intermediate shaft or left axle. Or plan on moping up a 4 quart hazardous material spill. You are in California and that spill will be reportable.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Is there enough wiggle room to pull it out without fully removing the strut assembly?

-Robert
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Is there enough wiggle room to pull it out without fully removing the strut assembly?

-Robert
Either pop the TRE or the ball joint off the knuckle.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

yes.

s3aturnr
"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Pop the ball joint

A sort of 'how to'
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137511

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc
The ball joint stud is a simple pivot, only goes on in one location, so it can't change any alignment geometry.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Is this a good way to separate the ball joint?
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
I've had luck in the past with a pickle fork and tons of grease to avoid damaging the boot but this looks more proper.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Yes. that will work, but it's a little awkward to use. You can also use a large pry bar and wedge it under the bulge where the lower brake caliper bolt goes. Once wedged in there you can hit the lower knuckle with your BHF and it will pop free.

edit: I like to remove the strut fully to get a nice clear line to reinstall the axle. I vote for removing the strut completely.

shawn
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The HF tool works just fine.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Is this a good way to separate the ball joint?
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html
That is the tool I've used... several times now

It is a little awkward to set up, but once set up, very easy to use. I don't have a lot of room in the garage to swing a BFH... we cheaped out, 20x24 garage when building the house. That was a mistake; that extra 4' (or more) would have made a big difference.

For some reason, the link in the original post directs to some drip-irrigation thing
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Hmm, the axle may not be dead just yet. About 20,000 miles ago all the grease flung out so I've been holding on to this j/y axle waiting to use it. So when the front end started to clunk I figured it was naturally time. However, looking at it closer it actually seems like the clunk is in the top of the strut. I only hear the clunk on rough roads or when sitting on the car. No noise on turning or backing or on smooth roads.
I will be interesting to see how long a degreased axle can actually last. In the past I've not gotten more than a few hundred miles out of them after losing grease.
\
-Robert