SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
wasntus
wasntus is on a distinguished road

Wrench 03 Vue 2.2 VTi

Ok so I bought an 03 Vue with a VTi trans, car has just turned 100k. The transmission actually is working but every so often when pulling out from a hill there is a slight clunk (almost like a bad u-joint). I know these transmissions aren't the best but I'm wondering exactally what fails? Is it the metal belt? I've been thinking of swapping in a 5spd. I haven't had a chance to put the car on the lift to see if the axle shafts are good.
wasntus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 Vue 2.2 VTi

For some strange reason, no one has yet posted pictures of a ruined VTI transmission, internal damage and all so its not actually known where destruction takes place internally. It would be easy to say the segmented belt but there are also the two variable pitch sheaves that control the actual output speed and can become damaged along with the belt. In one sense, the design is simple as long as it doesn't have its maximum rating exceeded. For all we know, this VTI was poorly adapted to the Vue and a black eye for GM.

Most tests for worn cv joints have to do with side loads as when turning right or left as the joints slip through several angles. If worn from missing grease they click at low speed tight turns. A broken bellows will allow grease to fling out all over the undercarriage and accelerate wear. The ultimate case is when a cvj breaks; no more drive wheels for forward or reverse as the differential won't transfer power to the good cvj. Instead, power is transferred to the broken cvj and simply turns the broken half shaft attached to the xmission. The other broken half shaft attached to the wheel hub sits still.

Search for VTI posts. There are one or two that dealt with converting to a manual.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 03 Vue 2.2 VTi

Good luck with the conversion. Most of those trannys don't make it past 100k, so your on borrowed time :/
"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote